It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Earth crossing Asteroids, Meteors, and impacts: a personal theory and possibility.....

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 22 2013 @ 04:05 PM
link   
Remember when they were talking about using nukes to deflect a Asteroids and it was discussed and determined that many of these areal denizens were not solid but a lose conglomeration of rubble .

Without writing a page of proofs (which I don't have) it makes sense to me that after a NEO flight path crossed the earth's orbit and the Earth then crosses the trail left by the jumble of loosely fitting rubble our chances go up dramatically for being hit by a bigger than normal typical day in, day out, space rock. The unobserved tail of this ruble would not be like a comets tail (caused by the sun's heating; outgassing) but would be the occasional rock that was knocked loose or has been playing catch-up with the main body for eons by sharing a common orbit. 1998 QE2 is supposed to pass the earth on May 31 at a comfortable distance of 3.6 million miles and luckily the earth's orbit and QE2s does not cross in the foreseeable future. Whereby other Asteroids have crossed and if they are a loose jumble of rocks then at a later date we will pass through the orbital ark and where "X" marks the spot of the crossing in the solar system is where IMO our odds of larger meteors burning up in the atmosphere or striking the earth is at it's greatest from this scenario..

Just a thought and a possibility IMO as I think about all the larger meteors we have read about this year. The meteors we have seen could be the result of pot luck, galactic plane position, past crossing asteroids or someone throwing rocks at us.....either or it is interesting?

posted on May, 22 2013 @ 04:16 PM
link   
reply to post by 727Sky

I wouldn't class this as a "theory" but as a fairly well established scientific fact. Many of the objects that hit our atmosphere are rubble from comets -- that's been known for some time (which is why we get Leonids and other meteor showers.)

Most comets hang out in the Oort Cloud

posted on May, 22 2013 @ 05:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Byrd

Yes for the whole comet trail cause meteors thing...... but I am speaking of Asteroids and the attendant trash that trails them. Yes some Asteroids are burned out comets just as some of the theories/observations state. I am speaking to the loosely packed rocks flying in the same vicinity that appear to be solid asteroids optically even though they have trailing trash....

I was thinking more of a Carbonaceous chondrite type Asteroid which is a loose rubble due to prior collisions and is staying more or less intact from gravity

edit on 22-5-2013 by 727Sky because: .....

new topics

join