It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Holocene volcanic fields reactivating. What if?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 17 2013 @ 10:39 AM
link   
I have been often wondered if it was possible for Holocene era and younger volcanic fields reactivating with new eruptions or effusions of lava. What would happen? Would it be just a media field week as these once volcanic areas start to spew ash and lava? Will it bring out the crazies saying the end times are near?

Here are some basic backgrounds of the numerous volcanic fields and areas dotting the western US:

vulcan.wr.usgs.gov...
vulcan.wr.usgs.gov...
vulcan.wr.usgs.gov...

Is it a question of if, or when?

posted on May, 17 2013 @ 10:46 AM
link   
here you go, www.volcano.si.edu... recent and ongoing holocene events

posted on May, 17 2013 @ 10:50 AM
link   
reply to post by suicideeddie

Thanks for the link!

I have studied up on the volcanic fields in Western United States, and was always curious as to what would happen if a new crater opened up in New Mexico, or Arizona or California.

posted on May, 17 2013 @ 10:33 PM
link   
I have been thinking along these same lines, most recently with the 3 earthquakes in south eastern Idaho. The third quake was actually in Idaho even though they listed it as Afton, Wy due to it being the closest town to the quake. These are all in the geologic areas of Lava Hot Springs, Soda Springs, Blackfoot Lava Field, & China Hat Dome. From what I have read these areas activity are fairly young volcanic fields in geologic time. I think I’ll go with when.

China Hat Dome: China Hat, a geologically young landmark near Soda Springs in the Blackfoot lava field, stands nearly 1000 feet high and is 1.4 miles long. It formed during a small rhyolite eruption only about 57,000 years ago, and is the largest of three domes lined up above a buried fissure that fed magma to the surface. The rhyolite magma was so viscous it couldn't flow away from the vent; it just accumulated in a big pile. Since the volcanic activity in the Blackfoot lava field was so recent, the area is of considerable interest for geothermal energy. Domes similar to China Hat are a common type of volcanic landform that are built where small batches of viscous magma erupt.
Link: idptv.state.id.us...

top topics

join