It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Man Facing 75 years for videotaping police in Illinois without consent

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 16 2013 @ 10:27 PM
link   
A man is facing up to 75 years in jail 5 felony charges where each could cost him 15 years in jail. For what? for recording police officers in public without consent of the officers. In public places.

Here is the link

Link

Police stopped by his mothers house and fined him for having cars on the law. He was charged with eavesdropping when he attempted record the deputies without their consent he was arrested.

It happened again when a man selling art was arrested for recording his arrest. It protects police. They can do it to protect themselves but you cannot. Why not? What is wrong with trying to protect your rights during an arrest.

Be careful folks. This is a law in 12 states. Be Vigilant.

posted on May, 16 2013 @ 11:02 PM
link   
What is good for the goose is good for the gander.

If they record us anytime they wish we can record then anytime we want.

Just remember, we the people are the ganders.

This is the only way to start to clean up the mess that is Policing.

There are bad cops, we all know that. But now, most cops are bad cops. A cop that sees wrongdoing by fellow police and does nothing is a bad cop. The top police that protect officers like this are also bad cops. There are no good cops left.

P

posted on May, 16 2013 @ 11:33 PM
link   
Yep enough to make one want to go postal until you find out
source= mywabashvalley.com...

Updated May 9, 2012: Ruling allows recording police & Michael Allison case is dropped.

It is a old case as well and in the linked video this info was found in the comment section.
and I found where I seen it first at as well right here on ATS
Man Faces Life In Jail For Recording Police,
edit on 5/16/2013 by Connman because: added ATS link

posted on May, 16 2013 @ 11:37 PM
link   
I live in Chicago and this has been all to real in the last decade here. It's not just police, people have tried to use cameras to video their abusive spouses and in turn been arrested just trying to protect themselves and the truth.

The Supreme Court has ruled against it however. Any further arrests will be greeted with lawsuits I'm fairly sure as the law has been ruled unconstitutional and outdated. It will take a couple trips to court to put the ruling to the test but it will happen.

posted on May, 16 2013 @ 11:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Connman

Not to mention the fact that the report has several points completely wrong. It was never 12 states and to boot it didn't apply to officials doing their duties in public. And on top of that it never applied only to police like the report claimes.

posted on May, 17 2013 @ 12:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by Helious
I live in Chicago and this has been all to real in the last decade here. It's not just police, people have tried to use cameras to video their abusive spouses and in turn been arrested just trying to protect themselves and the truth.

The Supreme Court has ruled against it however. Any further arrests will be greeted with lawsuits I'm fairly sure as the law has been ruled unconstitutional and outdated. It will take a couple trips to court to put the ruling to the test but it will happen.

I think a special case should be made for citizens taping the police during encounters or when in public. As has been pointed out, they can tape us without consent for their protection, why shouldn't we?

And if we are abused in an encounter, or witness it happening to someone else, should we have to trust that the police department will willingly produce this video evidence on our behalf?

I was reading just earlier about a case where a man was beaten to death by police, and there were witnesses... and the witnesses even got it on tape. But the police confiscated the tapes. For what reason? Who, exactly, does that serve? Certainly they weren't planning on using the tapes as evidence against the dead man.

News Item I referenced

edit on 17-5-2013 by iwilliam because: (no reason given)

edit on 17-5-2013 by iwilliam because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 17 2013 @ 12:07 AM
link   
SCOTUS will strike it down.
as they have in the past.

posted on May, 17 2013 @ 01:26 AM
link   
I saw this on ATS a long time ago.

Still ridiculous and disgusting.....

posted on May, 17 2013 @ 02:59 AM
link   
What would be entertaining would be for the court to set aside the qualified immunity of the next cop to try this on the grounds of gross incompetence, let the guy take the cop's personal property as a consolation prize.

posted on May, 17 2013 @ 05:59 AM
link   
What were we told when cameras first appeared in our society?

"If you're not doing anything wrong then you have nothing to worry about".

edit on 17/5/13 by NuclearPaul because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 17 2013 @ 07:00 AM
link   
Where does the public stand with regard to 'dashcams'? These are recording constantly while drivers are on the road, and without the permission of anyone they film. So are dashcams a tool of crime a person can be jailed for now?

It's unbelievable that a person is facing life in jail just for using a camera, when we have street violence, muggings, drive-by shoot-outs, paedophiles and killers all at large.

I suggest a new motto for USA law enforcement - to protect and serve OURSELVES.

posted on May, 17 2013 @ 11:05 AM
link   
reply to post by doobydoll

Dash cams fall under this law. In Europe and other Asian nations it is fairly common. You can get in trouble doing it in certain US states. Problem is, so many people in the last few years have attempted to 'bait' officers that it has really caused those who need it to be put in an odd situation of officers are now always assuming and trained to collect or confiscate.

People are more apt to film someone getting beat up or stabbed to post a video and get hits than step in and help but that is the state of much of the nation right now.

posted on May, 18 2013 @ 03:13 PM
link   
Now, it is security guards trying this garbage...this is a great video

Link

Think MALL COP has watched a few too many episodes of cops..

posted on May, 18 2013 @ 05:53 PM
link   
Old article, already discussed, concluded and no longer relevant.

posted on May, 19 2013 @ 12:02 AM
link   
reply to post by Subterranean13

Who cares, very relevant and look around you. Why do people pop in and add nothing to a thread. Can you add something that may show a different view?

posted on May, 19 2013 @ 11:04 PM
link   
Don't confuse audio taping with video. The "law" only applies to the audio.

posted on May, 19 2013 @ 11:47 PM
link   
News flash, video has audio
There's no disctinction in the law between mediums.

posted on May, 20 2013 @ 03:28 AM
link   
Like we are living in communist country where all media are under the control of the goverment and no one dares say the Truth, huh?

new topics

top topics

join