It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A few things I have learned so far

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 14 2013 @ 10:28 PM
link   
I was just going over a little something I started banging out on the keyboard a few months ago and forgot about. While I wait for the BC election results to start coming in, I thought I would take a look at it and see if I still have the same position on things. So it seems, yup, I do.

I'm sure there are tons of life's little experiences I have overlooked but this is what I've come up with off the top of my head. What do you think? Agree/disagree or perhaps you have something you would like to add that I haven't thought about, or forgot. While most of this would be considered basic knowledge, I believe they are invaluable none-the-less. This could be fun and thought provoking.

What say you?

1.Don’t trust people who are too friendly and never deliver
2.Extremely happy people is usually a front
3.It always starts off “it’s not what you know, but who you know” and ends up the opposite
4.Don’t be the bearer of bad news consistently. People will associate you with negativity
5.You are a reflection of the people you befriend
6.Admit your faults first just before someone else points them out
7. Don’t tell people about your plan before it happens
8. Never talk about your goals
9. It takes three-months to know someone and six-months thereafter
10. When first calling a potential prospect, NEVER start with “how are you?”
11. Make sure a signature is really a signature
12. Never ask for things, help, or favors
13. There is virtually no difference between jobs and relationships
14. Always maintain strong eye contact when talking or listening
15. Never have a limp handshake; do it again if it is
16. A first impression really is everything
17. Kill with kindness
18. Break a grumpy person by faking being grumpier (misery loves company)
19. Integrity is more valuable than money
20. Never approach a female head on or from behind, 45 degree angle is best
21. You’re guilty of association
22. “How was your day?” is the most boring text message to send to a new someone
23. Addictions disguises as wants
24. We are spiritual beings having a human experience
25. Everyone has a borderline personality disorder
26. Charity is self-serving
27. It doesn’t matter what you do, just do it well
28. Nothing is constant
29. Jealousy is a useless emotion
30. Never apologize in business
31. Multiple partners diminishes your ability to love
32. One who looks under the bed, hides under the bed
33. You will garner support and be defended if others have invested time in you
34. Don't try to be or pretend your someone or something your not.
35. If you can't afford to give it then you can't afford to lend it.

edit on 14-5-2013 by FlySolo because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 14 2013 @ 10:40 PM
link   
Nice list. Can't find one I don't agree with.
Could I add one?

Don't try to be or pretend your someone or something your not.
edit on 14-5-2013 by Isittruee because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 14 2013 @ 10:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Isittruee

No. 34

posted on May, 14 2013 @ 10:53 PM
link   
reply to post by FlySolo

I would like to make an addition to your list, if I may:

If you can't afford to give it then you can't afford to lend it.

posted on May, 14 2013 @ 10:56 PM
link   
reply to post by littled16

added. and I'm still thinking about it...lol

posted on May, 17 2013 @ 12:19 AM
link   
36. Never state the obvious

posted on Aug, 12 2013 @ 01:54 PM
link   
Here's another one I knew about before but have invaluably learned just now.

NO GOOD DEED GOES UNPUNISHED!!!!!!!

Remember this. Absorb it... digest it...

posted on Aug, 12 2013 @ 05:36 PM
link   
reply to post by FlySolo

I can disagree with some of them, but not so severe that they're worth debating. Here's one of mine:

How you treat others is not a reflection on them, but on you.

posted on Aug, 13 2013 @ 09:28 AM
link   
reply to post by FlySolo

I can agree with most, but....

3.It always starts off “it’s not what you know, but who you know” and ends up the opposite

No....."who you know" is EXTREMELY important. Months spent looking for my current job, but it was "who" I knew that eventually got it.

8. Never talk about your goals

If you never talk about your goals, they'll never materialize.

12. Never ask for things, help, or favors

No man is an island. We all need help sometimes, we just have to be willing and ready to reciprocate.

18. Break a grumpy person by faking being grumpier (misery loves company)

Exactly, so why join them and BE that company? You were more correct before, killing them with kindness.

26. Charity is self-serving

Because it makes one happy? Not buying it.

27. It doesn’t matter what you do, just do it well

Matters if you're the best rapist....so it certainly matters WHAT one does....

31. Multiple partners diminishes your ability to love

Not if those in the relationship are honest with other participant/s and it's kept as just having a good time.

posted on Aug, 13 2013 @ 11:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

No....."who you know" is EXTREMELY important. Months spent looking for my current job, but it was "who" I knew that eventually got it.

Who you know will get you there but after time it doesn't matter anymore. If you don't step up, then you're gone. The honey moon is over...

If you never talk about your goals, they'll never materialize.

I strongly disagree for three reasons.

1. If you talk about your goals before you begin, subconsciously you have already achieved them and will lack desire to see them to the end.
2. If you talk about your goals and don't achieve them or even start, then you're just the guy who talks
3. No one gives a hoot about what you want to do. People only care about results.

No man is an island. We all need help sometimes, we just have to be willing and ready to reciprocate.

I should have elaborated a bit with this one. It's ok to ask for favors but you certainly don't want to be "that" guy who does it regularly. Further, what's in it for me? What's in it for them? Why should I help you? If you're going to ask for help, you need to demonstrate how it is beneficial for that person to help you. It must be win/win. See 26.

Exactly, so why join them and BE that company? You were more correct before, killing them with kindness

I'll give an example. Working with a hot head, he throws little tantrums, it's annoying. So I whip off my hard hat and throw it on the floor pretending to be frustrated about something else. Now there is contrast and he realizes how stupid it looks to be a hot head....

Killing with kindness is meant to disarm potential enemies.

Because it makes one happy? Not buying it

It makes "you" happy to make "one" happy. Self-serving. There's no way around it...

Matters if you're the best rapist....so it certainly matters WHAT one does....

Strongly out of context. I'm not referring to criminal activity. I'm just saying, be the best you can be. Another example. A three-chord song on the guitar played well is better than an entire string chord orchestra playing off key...

Not if those in the relationship are honest with other participant/s and it's kept as just having a good time.

lol, you've had a few too many too I see. What constitutes a good time? No strings? No commitment? "Friends with benefits?" You see, it's only a good time when you know there are no commitments. Just living in the moment but once you're desensitized and suddenly it's expected of you to commit, it's no fun anymore. Why? because love/infatuation is like a drug. Always searching for the next "fix"
edit on 13-8-2013 by FlySolo because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 13 2013 @ 12:47 PM
link   
reply to post by FlySolo

lol, you've had a few too many too I see. What constitutes a good time? No strings? No commitment? "Friends with benefits?" You see, it's only a good time when you know there are no commitments. Just living in the moment but once you're desensitized and suddenly it's expected of you to commit, it's no fun anymore. Why? because love/infatuation is like a drug. Always searching for the next "fix"

I'm talking about two people in a loving relationship who spice it up with a third for fun. I won't elaborate more than that, only to say that it doesn't diminish the love those two have for each other in the slightest. I tend to skirt the line of the T&C on this topic, so won't go any further, hehe.....

posted on Aug, 13 2013 @ 01:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

ahhhh. that's a whole new kettle of fish. Nothing wrong with that.

top topics

join