It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

what if you were born in space?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 12:41 PM
link   
I've thought about this in my mind before I found this video.
Would that be evidence that aliens exist?
Can a baby even be conceived in space?
I get so many similar thoughts like this all the time.

The video has a lot of interesting ideas and information I thought some people on here would like so I thought I'd share it.

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 12:49 PM
link   
But I was born in space.....This planet is in space so I was born in space.

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 12:50 PM
link   
You would have immediately died due to the vacuum of space. Unless you have a space suit, then, it would be pretty cool.

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 12:56 PM
link   
reply to post by rickymouse

Born out of planet earth is more accurate

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 01:11 PM
link   
You would have severely depleted bone density, that is if your conceiver and your new born self made it through the actual birthing process without dying first from complications.

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 01:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by extraterrestrialentity
You would have immediately died due to the vacuum of space. Unless you have a space suit, then, it would be pretty cool.

You'd have to be born in the mother's space suit, and she would have to have an extra space suit packed in there to dress you in, but she couldn't let you out of her suit because the vacuum would kill her. She'd have to sacrifice herself to let you out. If she didn't let you out, you'd either die in her spacesuit or she'd have to have packed lots of food and water in there, and make it real large so you both could live in there. It'd be a mess, with the afterbirth and all, just floating around her spacesuit. But you would have been born in space, no doubt about that.

EDIT: Wait, I was wrong. Your mom could be dressed in two spacesuits. When you are born into hers, and then put into your own spacesuit, she'd open up the her first spacesuit and put you into the space between it and the second spacesuit. She'd then close hers, set off the dissolving squibs on the second suit, which would obligingly dissolve, leaving you floating in space. Nobody has to die! Life finds a way.
edit on 12-5-2013 by Aleister because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 01:14 PM
link   
reply to post by ElOmen

Where do you think Earth is....space.

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 01:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by soulpowertothendegree
reply to post by ElOmen

Actually, humans are technically not existing in what could be classified as space. We are actually existing in an atmosphere.

However, you are correct, the planet we live on is existed in space. Are we existing in space? Not so much.

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 01:37 PM
link   
reply to post by ElOmen

Its an interesting problem. Wouldn't you need some form of gravity? I guess you would be a real extra-terrestrial.

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 01:56 PM
link   
I think we are Earth bound species. Who always need the same earths gravity to grow without to many physical complications. The only way I think it's possible, that is when our cloning techniques are sophisticated enough to adapt human bodies to weightlessness of space.

But that will never happen because our spacecraft of the future will use gravitational amplifiers that will match our G's on earth so we that spaceborns can be a reality in my humble opinion..

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 02:00 PM
link   
I think it would be safe to say that if there was artificial g force the same as earth the kid would be normal. The biggest problem would be the paper work for ID. This kids birth certificate would be one of a kind. What would you be called? If we are earthlings born on earth that must make them spacelings.
With 0-G force the kid would be messed up with low bone mass, weak muscles and no reference to up or down.
The person would have a hard time surviving of earth. The question is what would people evolve into if they lived in 0-G for many generations?

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 02:01 PM
link   
reply to post by ispyed

A human mother probably does not need gravity to give birth, considering there are births that are done in water, where water buoyancy contracts some gravity (some sort of new-age stuff). The Mother pushes the baby out with her birthing muscles -- gravity does not do it.

Conception is an interesting question, though. I wonder if the sperm get a little disoriented in no gravity?

edit on 5/12/2013 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 02:06 PM
link   
reply to post by ElOmen

Then you would be an "Illegal" "Alien".

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 03:02 PM
link   
Zero problems being born in space. As another poster mentioned, babies have been born under water and as far as the sperm goes...Artificial insemination should do as well up there as it does down here. I'm quite sure the OP is aware that earth is in space....Geeeez!

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 07:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by unb3k44n7
You would have severely depleted bone density, that is if your conceiver and your new born self made it through the actual birthing process without dying first from complications.

Calcium depletion in free-fall is a real problem in adults. During gestation it's possible the bones would not have enough strength to survive the birthing process ("Mr. Glass" anyone?). C-section is possible, but the space-born probably could not survive a visit to earth.

I think that a space colony will have to have a rotating section where children would have to stay until their skeleton is properly developed - from the 2nd trimester possibly into their teenage years (with occasional vacations of up to a few days to a couple of weeks in free-fall).

One really good question is how much "gravity" is needed to forestall bone density loss? Will 1/6th G on the Moon be enough? What about 0.4 G on Mars? We won't know until we start sending people to these places and letting them stay for extended periods to assess the long-term effects.

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 01:10 PM
link   
Being born in space would seriously mess up your horoscope. What would you put as the location of your birth? I guess that astrologers would have to come up with a new way of reading, or at least a new method of determining your location at birth.

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 01:15 PM
link   
reply to post by ElOmen

Do you mean out in space like on the moon? Or in a space shuttle in space? Im sure that would make a difference.

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 02:18 PM
link   
Yeah that is what I was thinking. Surely OP meant space shuttle of some sort? I can't imagine that being a nice sight what with zero gravity and all.

posted on May, 15 2013 @ 08:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by extraterrestrialentity

Originally posted by soulpowertothendegree
reply to post by ElOmen

Actually, humans are technically not existing in what could be classified as space. We are actually existing in an atmosphere.

However, you are correct, the planet we live on is existed in space. Are we existing in space? Not so much.

Actually, Earth is technically not existing in what could be classified as space. It is actually existing in an atmosphere.

However, you would be correct to say that the atmosphere that fully encases the planet we live on exists in space. Does our planet exist in space? Not so much.

posted on May, 15 2013 @ 09:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by unb3k44n7

Why would that cause you to have severely depleted bone density? Mother gets pregnant on earth, after 8 months and 28 days, she is launched into space, brought to a space station with a birthing facility, she is harnessed into place, labor is induced, and the baby is born, and carefully brought back to earth. Only prolonged exposure to low or zero gs will cause "severe" lack of bone density...

The op specifically mentioned being "born in space", nothing more, nothing less. You are correct, however, to mention that the act of giving birth can be dangerous enough in and of itself.

top topics

join