It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pentagon OKs Further F-35 JSF Development

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 4 2004 @ 11:49 PM
link   
The Pentagon has given the approval to continue development of what is to be the biggest and possible the last manned fighter project. With a production run estimated at potentialy greater than 5000 planes. Its interesting that they article mentions a "slimmed down variant" but provides no details. I wonder if its a JSF light that would not have all the fancy avionics. No mention of the USAF's interest in a modified STOVL variant.

WASHINGTON - The Pentagon's top weapons buyer on Thursday cleared Lockheed Martin Corp.'s continued development of its F-35 Joint Strike Fighter, the biggest warplane project ever and one valued at more than $245 billion, the Defense Department said.

Michael Wynne, the Pentagon's acting undersecretary of defense for acquisition, approved the project's "path forward" and a slimmed-down variant, according to a synopsis of his decisions.

The go-ahead clears the way to shoot for first developmental flight testing of the conventional model in the third quarter of 2006, said Kathy Crawford, a spokeswoman for the Pentagon's F-35 program office.

JSF To Move Foreward

posted on Nov, 5 2004 @ 01:39 AM
link   
Sounds like the varient will be the export version to countries we don't want to hand over too many secrets too.

posted on Nov, 5 2004 @ 11:27 AM
link   
Good, our F/A 18's and F-111's won't be able to cut it much longer with many countries in the region buying advanced Russian planes like Su 32's and Su 34's. Not sure if we decided on the JSF or Eurofighter yet though...

posted on Nov, 5 2004 @ 06:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Trent
Good, our F/A 18's and F-111's won't be able to cut it much longer with many countries in the region buying advanced Russian planes like Su 32's and Su 34's.

- I think the F111 upgrade and the F/A18 are more than a match for anything likely to be ever met in your region for now and quite a long while Trent.

You guys need range and loiter, a long range radar and a modern electronics and killer weapons fit..... there is at least one full squadron of Tornado F3 (with recent upgrade) about to become available....... until the Typhoons are available.

Not sure if we decided on the JSF or Eurofighter yet though...

- Got to be Typhoon mate, most cost effective multi-role package (with range) there is out there.

[edit on 5-11-2004 by sminkeypinkey]

posted on Nov, 10 2004 @ 07:47 AM
link   
The aussie gov. has definately decided on the JSF and is part funding the development. To what extent "part" funding is i cant remember.
I dont really understand our interest in this aircraft. Ignoring terrorists, our main threat has to arrive by sea, or possibly air, so i agree we need loiter time and a long range, and advanced anti naval and air to air capability. I cant see why we need a v/stol aircraft.

posted on Nov, 10 2004 @ 08:01 AM
link   
More news on the F-35 JSF...
The latest is that due to the re-engineering of the F-35 (all variants) to reduce weight, the delivery date has been backed up from 2011 to 2013.
This has the USAF considering ways to bridge the technology gap between current platforms and future platforms. These considerations could include F-16's and F-15's with significant upgrades such as vectored thrust.

More....
F-35 Delayed - Updated F-15's/16's may be needed

new topics

top topics

join