It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Common dream experiences and causes.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 11:33 PM
link   
I have some pretty, what I consider common, experiences in my dreams. I am sure I will leave a few out because I haven't really thought about them until reading this forum. The experiences range from running in place, screaming but nothing comes out, falling sensations, being killed, killing, etc. The only one I have figured out is the running in place. I mentioned in another post how every time I dream that I am running to or away from something but not actually making any progress, like running on a treadmill, I wake up and my legs are asleep. The screaming with no sound coming out is a terrifying sensation because it is accompanied by suffocation or the inability to take in air because of terror. I don't know what causes it but wonder if anyone else has experienced something similar. I have had several dreams where I was killed. Usually shot. They are scary to be because I feel just like I would if I were actually shot. This is intense and I can't tell myself I'm dreaming and wake to stop the pain. A lot of my dreams involve me doing the killing. It is almost always someone deserving and these I don't consider nightmares. I attribute this to too many action movies and video games most likely. Not to mention most outside time is spent at the range. There are a few occasions where the people that get killed are not the bad guys but I am the bad guy. I don't know if this is normal or should also just be attributed to the above. Any insight or common experiences would be appreciated.

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 11:38 PM
link   
OMFG!!

You have the exact same dreams as me!

I have also dreamt of being shot and actually felt the bullets hitting and felt the pain, was so weird! Ive never actually been a shooter in any though.

But I have the running in place dream alot, always trying to sprint away from something but feel like im running in water and move so slow.

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 11:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Idonthaveabeard

One dream I was kidnapped or caught, don't remember which. I was taken to a truck stop restroom, hands restrained behind my back, shot in the gut and left to bleed out. I didn't wake up from this dream until after bleeding out. Those dreams suck so bad.

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 11:58 PM
link   
In mine I was in some kind of office block, I had a gun aswell (I think, it was a few years ago this dream) and there was around 3 of us, I have no idea who the othes were, they werent real life freinds or anything. Anyway we were in this office block, hiding in a room with a bunch of desks and theres guys hunting round with guns and they found the room we were in, I jumped behind a desk but one of the guys seen me. I remember realising what was about to happen and then feeling the shots coming through the wooden desk, felt like being prodded quickly with something hot.

Cant remember what happened after, probably started a new dream or something.

On a brighter note I had an amazing dream maybe a year ago. Theres a certain person that I really liked alot round that time and I had a dream about them where we were together (not a dirty one or anything lol) I felt all the emotions of love etc, was probably one of the most awesome dreams ive ever had. Since I havent met 'the one' yet it was the 1st time id ever felt true love. Bit weird that it was in a dream but awesome all the same.

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 12:29 AM
link   
I remember when I was little I used to have a dream that I can only describe as a night terror. It's something that to this day is nearly impossible for me to describe... *pauses* (damn) *deep-thought*...

Anyway, it was more like a 'sensation', rather... Idk, but I recall everything being much larger than I was. Almost as if everything was closing in on me. My mom would tell me that I would run frantically around the house, and it would take her a few hours just to calm me down...

This wouldn't happen often, and it's been a long while since the last time I've had this experience. But even now, when I stop to think about, it's just so f***in' weird!... I would always be able to envision the 'dream'... but I could never really describe it in detail.

I have my own interpretations for the meaning of it... but again, it's best described as a sort of 'feeling', if anything... and I use that term lightly.
Lol.

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 12:29 AM
link   
Time for some work with the Shadow...
edit on 7-5-2013 by pica13pica because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 01:00 AM
link   
One of my favorite things to do is dream. I think that my dreams are a good indicator of what is going on subconsciously in my life. I have dreams where I am in a firefight and I am trying to reload but the ammo I have is the wrong caliber for the firearm I am using, being chased and running but not getting anywhere, shooting at an enemy and the bullets are just falling out of the barrel onto the ground. I have come to realize that when I have stressful dreams like the ones I just mentioned it usually means I am stressed about something in my day to day life. The cause of the stress is not always obvious so I have to dig deep to find it sometimes. When I have dreams of flying I am usually very content with my day to day life. I read somewhere to consciously try to look at your hands while you are dreaming and you can learn to control your dreams. After a few years of practice I have reached a point where I can somewhat control what is going on for very brief moments while dreaming but then I usually fall back to sleep. Thanks for the topic OP.
edit on 7-5-2013 by Diogeneser because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 06:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Diogeneser

I haven't had a dream with the wrong ammo but constantly have dreams where the trigger wont pull. It's always panic inducing too. I don't own a handgun with a manual safety and for some reason, my handgun of choice in my dreams is my m&p 45, which has a hinged trigger. Many times when the trigger wont pull, I squeeze hard enough to break the trigger off.

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 06:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Idonthaveabeard

I've had the love dream before too. I'm married and the dream never involves my wife. That make's it depressing to me because I wish I felt that same level of admiration in waking life that I had while dreaming. Not that my wife and I aren't happy, just that dream feelings are way more intense.

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 10:39 PM
link   
Sludge running/punching is the worst. It's very common too. I don't think I have ever spoken with anybody about dreaming that hasn't mentioned a physical impairment of some sort. Guns and bullets also commonly known to not work properly while dreaming lol.

I've somehow overcome all sludge affects in my common dreaming. The guns/bullets on the other hand never work for me. My weapon usually just falls apart when pull the slide to chamber a round. If a round does chamber, the bullets just drip out the end of the barrel when I pull the trigger lol. It happens every time. If for some odd reason I do get a bullet to fire. It was some mickey mouse Jerry rig I literally dreamed up lol.

When it comes to pain, it can be very unpredictable. But 80% of the time I feel no pain. I might have to think about it for a second, but usually no pain.
edit on 7-5-2013 by JimboSliceLV because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 8 2013 @ 05:59 PM
link   
Thats funny that you sometimes get the odd bullet to fire, similar happens to me in the sludge running dreams. Like for the 1st few steps I can run freely, then i go back to slow motion.

Surely the sludge running must be related to running towards something you cant quite reach or towards something you cant quite escape from. I love all dreams that have feeling though, specially 'those' type haha because its usually your wildest fantasy playing out.

Another one thats just occured to me that I often have is driving an out of control car, its often my actual car im driving in the dream aswell.

posted on May, 9 2013 @ 07:16 AM
link   
The other night I had the same dream involving a group of my friends, old associates and faces I did not recognize, one by one through out the dream they would all be killed, or simply vanish, out of my dream, when there was only three of us left the dream would restart replay through the same scenario over and over again the only detail that changed would be who was left at the end, a very, very strange dream to say the least. It would have replayed atleast 15 times.

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 07:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Sacri

Video game, sounds like.

Ive had many "sludge-running" dreams. By that I mean where I cant run right. Here's a list of other physical issues Ive had in dreams: Teeth falling out (always causing HUGE shame, or threat of shame); Going Underwater and realizing Ive been under too long, rush to rise to surface &along the way, breathe in through nose & it's fine...which causes me to wake. Sometimes it is not a rush to surface, as Im deep underwater, but then I hold my breath till I breathe through nose, anti ipating the burning water, yet IT IS FINE. Which wakes me up. Back to list: Ito, have dreamt numerous times (20? or more) of driving or riding in a car going MUCHmuch too fast. I dreamt recently I was to drive an old wagon type car, which was so large, it was comical to expect that I could or should drive it...The fast acceleration or movement through a space is the feeling predominant in most of mycar dreams, Another sensation dream I have is rollercoaster dreams. The fast falling, in a predictable moment, is thefocus.

Also, while the aforementioned scenarios happen perhaps 2-3/yr (as a whole), a couple times a month I experience visual "hints" or manifestation, in dream, of needing to empty bladder, in my sleeping body. For instance, walking downstairs, which are near rising basement flood waters, or
or a swimming pool will be a major scene all of a sudden. Thr most recent example was a couple weeks ago, I dreamt my brother had on a suit he was awfully proud of, which I found funny, because it was a heavy winter corduroy type favric with a paisley pattern that turned into, at the lower pants legs, a wave pattern. Waves in the style of a well-known Japanese artist.. I remember these dreams because I wake from them to use the "facilities".
or a swimming pool will be a major scene all of a sudden. Thr most recent example was a couple weeks ago, I dreamt my brother had on a suit he
edit on 10-5-2013 by kkrattiger because: disregard repeat paragrph at end. i cant scroll dwn n txt box on this phn to edit it!

top topics

join