It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Free shotguns for Houston residents

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 30 2013 @ 08:08 PM
link   
Seems like a good way to deter crime. Who is going to break into a house knowing hundreds of these people will now be armed with shotguns? Only really, really stupid criminals is my guess

posted on Apr, 30 2013 @ 08:12 PM
link   
Man, I wished I lived in Texas. Crime is getting bad and we do need a way to defend ourselves and families if police would be very difficult to get a hold of during a crises.

posted on Apr, 30 2013 @ 08:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phoenix267
Man, I wished I lived in Texas. Crime is getting bad and we do need a way to defend ourselves and families if police would be very difficult to get a hold of during a crises.

Police tell people to run away and hide, that's not always an option. It takes time for them to get to you too...in this time you could be killed.
It's good they are doing background checks, but what i wonder is if some of these free guns will just be sold on. Crime ridden areas are normally poverty stricken too, i dont know how much a shotgun is as im not in the USA but id imagine you could get $100 or so???

I don't know if id want to live in the USA, but at least there you can have a weapon to protect yourself, here in England you have nothing..a baseball bat maybe, but even then chances are you would be arrested if you injured an intruder.

posted on Apr, 30 2013 @ 08:20 PM
link   
True Story:
I had a friend that lived in Homestead Florida. The apartment he was in was in a bad part of town.
One night he was home in bed and heard a window break. He immediately went to his closet to grab his shotgun.
As he came into his living room he racked the slide. The crook immediately reversed directions and jumped back out the window he just came in.

The sound alone is enough to send criminals fleeing.

posted on Apr, 30 2013 @ 08:25 PM
link   
reply to post by grey580

I can imagine the sound being pretty intimidating, being from a place where guns arent the norm, even i would understand that sound lol

posted on Apr, 30 2013 @ 08:40 PM
link   
reply to post by grey580

There was a video that made it's rounds quite some time ago where they interviewed a bunch of guys that were serving time for breaking and entering. The interviewer asked each person what their worst fear was once inside a home, and about 75% of them answered "a woman with a shotgun".
The details varied, but the gist was because most women when panicked do not aim, and do not hesitate to fire.

Wish I could get a free shotgun though. Oh well, just glad to see that other people in need of protection will now have the chance to defend themselves if it comes down to it.

An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life.
~Robert A. Heinlein
edit on 4/30/2013 by SpaDe_ because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 30 2013 @ 09:03 PM
link   
reply to post by AmberLeaf

There are a lot of people who would rob you because they can get money from your various items. Like electronics, antiques, etc. A lot of them are addicts of drugs who could care less of your or your family safety to steal your items for drug money. The police could do so much if you called them and they arrived later. I would threaten someone with a gun to defend myself than someone hurt or even kill me because I had to dial 911 and talk with an operator who would ask questions that would take time; as well the arrival of the police if they do come in time. The best a police can do is arrest the criminal or document the scene because there are so many laws that can make it confusing to make everything better. Better to scare off a criminal than pray that the law could save you.

posted on Apr, 30 2013 @ 09:28 PM
link   
"It's our hypothesis that criminals don't want to die in your hallway."

I'd say that the "Hypothesis" is fairly accurate...

Peace

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 02:06 PM
link   
America has 0.8 guns for every human being. This is more than 2x any other nation including Afghanistan, Yemen and Republic of the Congo.

Still we need more to feel secure, free and whole as people. I say this with complete certainty and conviction --this society is soulless and will devour itself like a black hole. Border fences will be required to keep people in.

new topics

top topics

join