It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Who are you?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 29 2013 @ 06:44 AM
link   
When we use words such as "I", "Me" and "Myself", what is it that we truly mean? What is it exactly that we are trying to refer to? Is it the physical body? The brain? The mind? Is it a database of relationships that we form with other beings? Is it a mixed pool of personality, experiences and beliefs? Maybe it's simply a collection of varied features - both physical and non-physical - that separates us into individuals.

DNA make-up would seem to cover the physical features of our being, but what about the non-physical ones? The relationships we form, the esteem we are held to by others, the memories associated with our lives etc. These are not things we can simply ignore; they are aspects of our lives that define who we are! In addition, there is the question of action - some actions seem to be influenced by DNA make-up, while many others do not.

What I am asking is this: what feature can be used to distinguish us from others (as individuals) that incorporates both physical and non-physical properties?

posted on Apr, 29 2013 @ 06:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Dark Ghost

I have read somewhere that every single soul in the entire creation emits a unique vibration which manifests as a beautiful melodious sound that can be heard by all the denizens of the metaphysical realms. It is our spiritual DNA, in a sense.

Not sure if this is an answer to your question, but your post just brought this to mind.

posted on Apr, 29 2013 @ 06:57 AM
link   
A: the eye/s

posted on Apr, 29 2013 @ 07:03 AM
link   

"who are you" asked by the Alice in wondered caterpillar.... such a complex question....

posted on Apr, 29 2013 @ 07:04 AM
link   
reply to post by mysticnoon

That is a very intriguing answer. Thanks for sharing.

Any chance you could please elaborate or give links for such information?

posted on Apr, 29 2013 @ 07:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dark Ghost
When we use words such as "I", "Me" and "Myself", what is it that we truly mean? What is it exactly that we are trying to refer to? Is it the physical body? The brain? The mind? Is it a database of relationships that we form with other beings? Is it a mixed pool of personality, experiences and beliefs? Maybe it's simply a collection of varied features - both physical and non-physical - that separates us into individuals.

To 1 subjectively many are ALL forms of CREATOR Creation Energy Manifested into Universal placed Materials some appear more dense in physical appearance to other CREATOR Creations why others SEEM Less Dense in Physical appearance as they are evaluated by other CREATOR Creations. ALL are energy to 1 as is 1, energy just made of different universe existing materials imagine dark energy.. CREATOR Creations not dark internally in intent but in form.

NAMASTE*******
edit on 4/29/13 by Ophiuchus 13 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 29 2013 @ 07:17 AM
link   

Many of the snippets of information I share here were sourced from actual books I read a long time ago, many of them no longer in print.

All the same, it is highly likely that this particular piece of information is out there somewhere, so I'll see what I can find.

posted on Apr, 29 2013 @ 08:00 AM
link   
As the saying goes
"I'm Bart Simpson, who the hell are you?".

Nah not really I am me, and I am here, but in the same breath I am everyone as well, we are all stardust, We all all made from those that have gone before us".

posted on Apr, 29 2013 @ 08:11 AM
link   
"I Am" anything I create. Because ATS needs further lines I will add to this but I really don't want to. Its pretty cut and dry.

At my root I am the elements of the Universe.

Here on Earth I am a thinking creature creating my reality at will.

I can mold myself to be anyone I want to be.

posted on Apr, 29 2013 @ 08:12 AM
link   

What I am asking is this: what feature can be used to distinguish us from others (as individuals) that incorporates both physical and non-physical properties?

The chemical make-up of our brains (physical feature) determines how we think, feel, and act (non-physical).

posted on Apr, 29 2013 @ 08:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by mysticnoon

I have read somewhere that every single soul in the entire creation emits a unique vibration which manifests as a beautiful melodious sound that can be heard by all the denizens of the metaphysical realms. It is our spiritual DNA, in a sense.

Not sure if this is an answer to your question, but your post just brought this to mind.

I am who I am--no more, no less.

posted on Apr, 29 2013 @ 09:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dark Ghost
In terms of the need for distinguishing ourselves from one another, we can define oneself as the whole body-mind - that is, the whole complex of physical, emotional, mental, and even spiritual processes. That is how we typically identify one another - when I refer to a friend by name, I am referring to their body-mind, as a single whole, not some sense of separate identity within their body-mind that they may be assuming themselves to be.

However, although we can readily refer to others based on their appearance as body-minds, we do not tend to actually recognize, feel, and act as the whole body-mind ourselves. We are typically feeling separated or abstracted from objects, others, and even from our singular whole body-mind. This sense of separation is what we call the ego-I, but it is just a separative contraction, or point of focus, within the body-mind based in this moment to moment withdrawal from the vast field of relatedness that our body-minds actually appear in.

The first step to understanding who we are is to see that this activity of separative abstraction from the body-mind, others, and objects is our own egoic separative activity that we identify with. This sense of inner identity is not an actual entity. In any moment we become sensitive to the self-inflicted pain this gesture of separative abstraction/withdrawal causes us, we will simply drop it in that moment, and thereby recognize, feel, and act as a single whole body-mind, even feeling unity with others.

However, this sensitivity to our self-inflicted sense of separation/contraction is required moment to moment, and it also allows us to discover who we actually are. Are we really simply these body-minds that we conventionally call "I" and "you"? Can anyone actually prove they are the body-mind. No one has so far, and yet we just seem to automatically assume this is true. But is it? What about consciousness or most fundamental awareness or our deepest sense of being?

Does consciousness actually age? Not in my experience, but the body-mind certainly does! Once we allow the body-mind to fully recognize, feel, and act as a single whole rather than getting stuck in inward identification with some subjective separative process of thinking, abstraction, contraction upon self, seeking to fulfill desires, etc., - then who we are, prior to the body-mind (though paradoxically not separated or abstracted from it and all arising), becomes obvious as consciousness itself.

edit on 29-4-2013 by bb23108 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 29 2013 @ 09:47 AM
link   

We are walking, talking, living, breathing, answers to your question. A simple look in the mirror might suffice.

posted on Apr, 29 2013 @ 10:06 AM
link   

Would it not be fair when one states "I" "Me" "Myself" that they are referring to the "Now" most present version available? As we in the "Now", whatever events that culminated the individual to vibrate a certain way is not necessarily the "Future Now" nor the "Vibrations" that individual will have in "Then". Sure DNA help's guide that individuals personality and demeanor but if this was the only case, then there would be no room for change. We would all be stuck doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result.

posted on Apr, 29 2013 @ 12:06 PM
link   
I am my thoughts. Always changing and growing, but also repeating. You are also my thoughts. If I think you are cool, you are cool. I am the reference for everything I experience. All that is ego. Not the real me.

I am the experiencer. I have no form and no name. I am not a what or a who but I am. I am not experienced by any but everything that is experienced is done so because I exist. You will never see me, but you can know that I am here now. Watching and listening.

posted on Apr, 29 2013 @ 06:11 PM
link   
I am a work in progress. I won't be fully developed until my brain stops feeding me with processed bursts of configured dynamic responses to the linear event trajectory that is material existence. I exist as a gestating information whole, and I've been under construction since my material brain first went online with its first survival reaction. I am an emergent system that represents the epitome of both information and event (the foundational activity quanta responsible for the material realm) expressed as a pure hybrid - the ultimate emergent system, in fact.

When my brain finally dies, I'll be a human being. Until then, I'm in ongoing development, so I can't really give a full and accurate answer to your question.

posted on Apr, 29 2013 @ 07:56 PM
link   

That's a tough one right there... Ill tell you who I'm not. I'm not who I think I am because I associate myself with a name and a gender, skin color, address, height and weight but those are social constructs. I also pretend to be someone different in different situations for example I act one way in front of my parents and act another with my friends and like someone else when in public. All of those different 'acts' I put on are not who or what i really am. Whatever is left after you deconstruct your own self is who you are at the heart of it all.

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 07:10 AM
link   

One is not the meaning behind the words.

What I see in your avatar sulaw is that one should love his enemy.
edit on 1-5-2013 by Angle because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 07:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by jiggerj
The chemical make-up of our brains (physical feature) determines how we think, feel, and act (non-physical).

Can the chemical make-up of our brains be altered by experience? Can experiences be altered by the chemical make-up of our brains?

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 07:44 AM
link   
I don't get the question.

We as humans have the capacity other species on this ball do not, we are self-aware.

Period.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join