It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Americans have a horrible pill addiction!!!!!!!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 23 2013 @ 05:31 PM
link   
I was thinking about this the other day, and it's truly sad how many Americans are completely dependent and reliable on pills to take care of all their problems. Let's think about different reasons that Americans want to take pills:
-to sleep
-to loose weight
-for energy
-for depression
-for concentration
-for health
-for miracle cures
-to stay awake
-to lower cholesterol
-to relieve pain/headache relief
-to get off heroin
-to control their appetite
-to get an erection
-to not get pregnant
-to aid every single medical condition imaginable, too long to list

Who makes $$$ with the more and more people get hooked on pills to solve all their problems? Big Pharmas, imagine that. Big Pharmas have a ton of lobbyists who ensure that their will becomes way, just as bad as Monsanto.

Is it laziness that is to blame on why this country is so pill reliant? I think it is part of the blame, as well as a lack of knowledge and education. The "system" does not nor will never teach the truths about holistic medicine and the healing power of plants. It's set up to teach dependence on technology and medicine, both of which are NOT free and always help put $$$ into the pockets of the rich and powerful. Show me a technology/software company or big pharma that's privately owned and not investor owned. Far and few between.

The only way things will ever change is when people take it upon themselves to educate themselves. Every single medical condition (except the man-made ones) can be cured by plants. The earth is here to heal us and provide us with all of our NEEDS. Since we continually make up new wants each and everyday, society will continue to live the rat race and people will continue to not have the time to care about "the little things" which is the excuse I hear from most rat racers.

If people would educate themselves they would see that putting down the pills is not as hard as they would think. Most every medical ailment can be cured by a change in diet and eating healthy with a lot of superfoods. I'm very happy that I live in an area where most are like minded and don't play the game anymore, instead chose to live healthy and naturally; one with the earth and each other.

Love and light

posted on Apr, 23 2013 @ 05:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Imightknow

Most every medical ailment can be cured by a change in diet and eating healthy with a lot of superfoods.

This just isn't true.

Nice pseud-scientific fairy tale though.... If only it were reality....

posted on Apr, 23 2013 @ 05:55 PM
link   

I'm going to have to agree with you. I myself have trouble with it as well. I have problems sleeping and I take a lot of sleeping pills. I also have migraines from caffine dependency. It's my own fault too though. Just takes a little bit of willpower. Also too I believe GMO foods cause a lot of sickness and illness. So it's really a vicious cycle.

posted on Apr, 23 2013 @ 05:55 PM
link   

The only pills I have ever taken in the past couple of years were Dayquil. I really hope that doesn't upset your sensitivities.
edit on 23-4-2013 by AfterInfinity because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 23 2013 @ 05:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by WaterBottle

Most every medical ailment can be cured by a change in diet and eating healthy with a lot of superfoods.

This just isn't true.

Nice pseud-scientific fairy tale though.... If only it were reality....

Well it's about half true. Don't forget that GMO are in the majority of foods nowadays.

posted on Apr, 23 2013 @ 06:10 PM
link   

I understand your point, but perhaps you are going to a bit of an extreme. As a medical student, yes we have been taught "let thy medicine be thy food and thy food be thy medicine": idea being healthy lifestyles help prevent certain diseases. And there is truth in that big pharma has more than a few ner'do'ells running around. Many medical schools in the US don't permit drug reps interacting with medical students anymore...for reasons of keeping young doctors from coming under the sway of marketing instead of good science.

High quality diet goes a long way in disease prevention and expediting healing, but claiming foods can cure nearly any medical condition is too much. There are good pharmaceuticals out there, believe it or not, and about 45% of all drugs (in the Western medicine tradition) developed came from either plant or microbial sources (digoxin, morphine, aspirin, atropine, the list goes on and on).

Scurvy and rickets, probably treat nutritionally. Cure something like osteogenesis imperfecta with food? Probably not going to happen. Bacterial endocarditis or Streptococcus pneumoniae infection of the lungs: antibiotics every time.

Good foods and healthy lifestyles can help with many sleep disorders, mood disturbances, cardiovascular health, etc. etc. Foods as out-and-out cures...meh.... Food as prevention (for many, not all diseases/conditions), then I'm with you all the way.

posted on Apr, 23 2013 @ 06:14 PM
link   
Your title alone is offensive. Americans, some of them, do seek medical care for every ache and pain, but NOT ALL Americans. I rarely take a tylenol for a headache and the last time I took a narcotic was during child birth 17 years ago.

I do not like generalizations. I am a numbers kind of girl, I work in data for a living. So here are the facts:

America is the third largest nation in the world in population. Per the link below. I had to use the CIA website. I could not resist.
CIA

America only has 18% of the entire world's share of pharmaceutical usage per the WHO. (World Health Organization)
WHO

Therefore, since we are the 3rd most populated country in the WORLD and we only use 18% of the world's pharmaceuticals, we do not have a pill addiction.

What we have according to the WHO website is money, insurance, and access to care in relation to the rest of the world. With that being said, I do not think cornerning 18% of the prescription drug market hardly qualifies as an addiction for the entire peoples of America.

posted on Apr, 23 2013 @ 06:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by k21968
Your title alone is offensive. Americans, some of them, do seek medical care for every ache and pain, but NOT ALL Americans. I rarely take a tylenol for a headache and the last time I took a narcotic was during child birth 17 years ago.

I do not like generalizations. I am a numbers kind of girl, I work in data for a living. So here are the facts:

America is the third largest nation in the world in population. Per the link below. I had to use the CIA website. I could not resist.
CIA

America only has 18% of the entire world's share of pharmaceutical usage per the WHO. (World Health Organization)
WHO

Therefore, since we are the 3rd most populated country in the WORLD and we only use 18% of the world's pharmaceuticals, we do not have a pill addiction.

What we have according to the WHO website is money, insurance, and access to care in relation to the rest of the world. With that being said, I do not think cornerning 18% of the prescription drug market hardly qualifies as an addiction for the entire peoples of America.

Does the pharmaceuticals include tylenol or any other over the counter drugs or just prescription? If not then any stat on that, because that would be quite interesting. Also does that 18% include the drugs on the streets?

posted on Apr, 23 2013 @ 06:51 PM
link   
Russia has over the counter codeine, and it's been the cause of many problems there. Canada and Mexico are also known to be an easy source. So why single out Americans?
Oh, and you might be interested to know that France is the leader in prescription abuse, but don't let silly statistics get in the way of a good ol' fashioned American bashing thread.
I'm not saying my country doesn't have a problem, it's just completely unfair to single us out. The issue is certainly not exclusive to us.

posted on Apr, 23 2013 @ 07:00 PM
link   
reply to post by PutAQuarterIn

Well I suppose I was wrong. Interesting facts though. Thank you for sharing

posted on Apr, 23 2013 @ 07:08 PM
link   

Does the pharmaceuticals include tylenol or any other over the counter drugs or just prescription? If not then any stat on that, because that would be quite interesting. Also does that 18% include the drugs on the streets?

According to the WHO website I linked, it is non-prescription and prescription LEGAL drugs. It of course does not count the drugs on the streets.

posted on Apr, 23 2013 @ 07:14 PM
link   
reply to post by k21968

Okay cool. Thank you for that. That is FAR less than I expected, because every elderly person I know have that medicine cabinet slap full of pills. But I guess numbers don't lie. Thanks again

posted on Apr, 23 2013 @ 07:16 PM
link   
I am on a pill to help me quit heroin. It is a lot better than cold turkey. I tried that many a times and failed. So I am grateful for the pill that is helping me. But I agree people take pills instead of trying diet or exercise 1st.

posted on Apr, 23 2013 @ 07:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Wanderer777

Well, I went back to the link from WHO and apparently the 18% i quoted was from 1976. The new percentage is 56%. So, America, being the 3rd largest country in the world consumes 56% of the legal drugs.

So, now, I have to agree with you, America does have a problem.

I am very sorry for my initial error.

i am human..

So, Wanderer, dont give up so fast!! You were right! color me embarrassed...but thankful I could help you in the end prove your point.

edit on 23-4-2013 by k21968 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 23 2013 @ 10:23 PM
link   
In the two weeks I have gotten my pills, I've only taken 2. And I got 3 bottles. I' think I'm doing good.

posted on Apr, 23 2013 @ 10:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by k21968
reply to post by Wanderer777

Well, I went back to the link from WHO and apparently the 18% i quoted was from 1976. The new percentage is 56%. So, America, being the 3rd largest country in the world consumes 56% of the legal drugs.

So, now, I have to agree with you, America does have a problem.

I am very sorry for my initial error.

i am human..

So, Wanderer, dont give up so fast!! You were right! color me embarrassed...but thankful I could help you in the end prove your point.

edit on 23-4-2013 by k21968 because: (no reason given)

HAHA awesome thanks for letting me know. We're all human and we all make mistakes. So I guess America needs an intervention

posted on Apr, 23 2013 @ 10:38 PM
link   
Legalize it and we'll use less pills... Just saying. Then again, I've always been for natural herb remedies.

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 12:11 PM
link   
I see there are some non-believers here about the power of eating RIGHT, and not ingesting all sorts of GMO's and other nasty chemicals that's found in every piece of food that people buy in grocery stores that aren't natural/organic/gmo free.

We get diseases because of compromises in our immune system and because of putting things into our bodies that don't belong there. If you eat natural and organic from childhood and stick to it, the odds of you dying of cancer are slim to none. The hormones and antibiotics that are pumped into the dairy and meat that people eat are all cancer causing compounds and chemicals, you don't have to believe it if you don't want to keep living in a candy coated world.

Then of course there's the plant medicines that treat disease. I've witnessed people being cured just from ayahuasca, which is one of the strongest medicines our planet has ever seen. Ayahuasca can cure all mental disorders as well.

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 12:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by AfterInfinity

The only pills I have ever taken in the past couple of years were Dayquil. I really hope that doesn't upset your sensitivities.
edit on 23-4-2013 by AfterInfinity because: (no reason given)

Your funny, my sensitivities. I can care less what you put into your body, it's your body. You are obviously very smart and know for sure that all the ingredients in Dayquil are just fine for your body and offer no adverse results. Well done.

new topics

top topics

join