It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Indian rice farmer shatters GMO production myth using organic farming.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 11 2013 @ 08:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by alfa1

Looking through the comments and the pdf report on this story, from the guardian...

1. The area may be poor, but has some of the best soils around.

I agree with you all the way around alfa1 (humble much?) and want to emphasize your first point. Good soil is key to plant health and productivity. The loss and damage to top soil around the world through overfarming, use of pesticides/herbicides/chemical fertilizers, and water/wind erosion is a major source of food degredation.

No matter the methods used, we must build and protect soil and it's can't be done 'chemically', it must be done organicly with compost and animal fertilizers as nature designed the system.

What I know of 'yields' between organic methods vs conventional (no not truly conventional but factory/machine intensive) agriculture is that the yields are very similar; however, the quality (in taste and nutrition) is better and the condition of the soils is improved.

posted on Apr, 11 2013 @ 01:51 PM
link   
Another good post that infuriates me about this company.

Is anyone here interested in lobbying and pressuring their local representatives to promote this type of agriculture very well presented by the poster.

These representatives of course no nothing of science, integrity, human kindness, or compassion but they do appreciate money and power. The rationale would be that farmers in the state could save money by not having to be under contract by Monsanto. The yield on the farm would be better as well. These equals more taxes the state can collect.

Additionally another route would be to be start a campaign whereby we get trial lawyers on board. "Have you eaten GMO foods and suffered some problem?" Call me, Shark L. Esquire, I don't get payed unless you do.

We need to make the GMO seem like guns in the same way idiots like Feinstein and company see guns.

posted on Apr, 11 2013 @ 02:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by rickymouse
reply to post by Philippines

With organic farming, you can get bigger produce but it takes more work. In commercial farming, the manhours per acre is usually less so it is more profitable. I grew up on a farm and we used fertilizers and some chemicals. The crops were a lot less work than when I grew things organically later with my ex wife's grandfather. My exwife's grandfathers produce was considerably more productive and better tasting. Cow manure sure does wonders compared to bagged fertilizer on everything but potatoes

There we go, back to more work =D. I agree large produce is possible through organic farming with more work. Natural crops in organic nature would be naturally smaller than those farmed to be larger.

Cow manure is great, along with pig manure, and chicken dung if it's used later in the plants life as it's acidic and may acidify a young seedling, from my experience.

I live in a rather unique tropical mountain region hehe

<< 1   >>

join