It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What Can ATS Members Do?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 9 2013 @ 03:29 PM
link   
Although it may be more appropriate for individuals to ask this questions directly to the MODs via private messaging, I thought I'd pose the question for all.

Most of us are aware of the most recent DDoS attacks against ATS. So I ask, what can members of ATS do to help thwart off these attacks?

I'm reminded of a ridiculous video I once watched, the person speaking is Bashar. Now, I completely believe that this man is a con-man, BUT, he has some great points that I think may help in this situation.

The video is in regards to the ability to do what you need to do when you need to do it. Not defining the means, but rather, seeking through all of them and not limiting yourself. Not allowing events to discourage, but to understand that all things are a part of the creation process.

Well, ATS has an amazing assortment of individuals. I've heard claims that there are to be high costs for the owners of ATS in regards to obtaining proper security with respects to the volume of traffic ATS receives daily.

I say, it's not just about the money... I'd even imagine that the sentiment behind the attacks has nothing to do with money. Maybe, it's something else.

That's where you guys come in:

There are a lot of 'outside the box' thinkers on ATS. So, cmon people... think outside that box and lets generate some solutions. Who knows, maybe even those who are responsible for the attacks will offer their demands with in this thread. Not suggesting that there is any room for negotiation, but if we don't at least listen to N.Korea all hell will break loose right?(just an example)

Maybe this discussion will bring to light the possible reasons for the attacks in the first place, which I'd imagine can only have great benefit to those trying to keep a good thing going.

My suggestion: Adopt some of the strategies used in foreign relations, regarding conflict resolution and deterrence measures. Not so much posturing, rather, official responses which are directed at those responsible for the attacks, strategically worded as to being conducive towards resolve.

just a thought...

posted on Apr, 9 2013 @ 03:34 PM
link   
reply to post by retirednature

So I hear.... That if enough ATS members put on there tinfoil hats at one time, any and all DDOS attacks will be neutrilized....

Honestly, SnF and I look forward to hearing the responses.

posted on Apr, 9 2013 @ 03:39 PM
link   

If any members work for a Mitigation/Prevention Service Provider. Please check to see if your Company can work out some deal with the owners of ATS to provide this service. It's really expensive, maybe your company could work out a trade of service for Ad placement, in exchange for partial payment. The Member Base of ATS is certainly in your Company demograph of potential customers. You never know if you'd pick up a lucrative contract by helping ATS.

That would put a STOP to the DDos attacks...and help keep ATS up and running smoothly.

I know it takes a tremendous of money to make ATS what it is now....we sure could use the help.

Des

posted on Apr, 9 2013 @ 03:52 PM
link   
The alphabet boys love ATS , I dont think they will let anything debilitating happen to one there favorite sites,

just a thought............
edit on 9-4-2013 by DocHolidaze because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 9 2013 @ 04:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Destinyone

From what I gather...

Revenue is generate from advertising

The revenue from advertising is generate from traffic

ATS needs more traffic

Solutions:

Create a section of the forum labeled 'For Adults Only', where the terms & conditions aren't necessarily lax, rather topics such as the ever popular 'drugs' may be discussed in an appropriate manner. Which I can imagine would generate traffic like nobody could even imagine. Especially considering the current events and it's popularity in discussion amongst everyone from politicians to people. Just don't allow the threads of these topics to be displayed on the homepage, removing it from the 'new topics' the 'fire hose' and such. But still allowing the discussion to take place, creating more hits on google.

I'd open up some of the Research forums and collaboration forums to be more user friendly. A while back I tried, but the entire process of adhering to the specific hoops to jump through. I also would suggest promoting the debate forum section more, this could be an extremely popular part of ATS, but due to the hoops to jump through... people are deterred from using it. There are some resident scholars on ATS that have opposing views and we rarely get to see them come together for a good ole' debate. It would strengthen the site IMO.

The last of my suggestions might be a long shot, but here it goes:

ATS should start paying for journalists! ATS should contact VICE! ATS should do a million other things!

btw, ATS is amazing, not saying it's not 'good enough'... but networking might just be the key in all of this. Again the EXACT reason I made this thread and the reason I posted the Bashar video.
edit on 9-4-2013 by retirednature because: additional statement

posted on Apr, 9 2013 @ 04:07 PM
link   

You have some valid, and progressive suggestions. I was thinking in the more *immediate* ideas for members to act on regarding the DDos attacks.

Des

posted on Apr, 9 2013 @ 04:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Destinyone

You have some valid, and progressive suggestions. I was thinking in the more *immediate* ideas for members to act on regarding the DDos attacks.

Des

You obviously didn't watch the Bashar video! lol

It's not about time, time is relative and means nothing. This site could be shut down for a month, and come back, but the issues will still remain. There needs to be a more long term approach to this problem. If the solution is monetary, well...

Is it about saving money and purchasing proper protection? Partially

Is it about generating revenue to purchase proper protection? Absolutely

Is it about the integrity of ATS? You bet your last dollar!

This is a walk along the boarder with each foot on different sides. It's going to take a multifaceted approach.

If it were me, I would go out and purchase the protection at the same time making many adjustments to the website and how it flows. I'd adopt a 12 point plan, all of which aimed at taking on some of the things I've already mentioned and others. These 12 points can fall under 4 specific categories which are each supported by 3 initiatives. So even if one fails, everything is still supported and what is being sought shall come into fruition.

posted on Apr, 9 2013 @ 04:37 PM
link   

Sorry. It was the only contribution I had to offer. Based on information I had, before I came to your thread..

In your OP. You asked us to put on our thinking caps, think outside the box, and post our ideas.

I still think my idea, is a valid one, a member might read, and act on. It would deal with an immediate need.

If you only want us to focus on your ideas...then you should have said so.

Des

edit on 9-4-2013 by Destinyone because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 9 2013 @ 04:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Destinyone

Sorry. It was the only contribution I had to offer. Based on information I had, before I came to your thread..

I still think my idea, is a valid one, a member might read, and act on. It would deal with an immediate need.

Des

Oh no, don't think that I'm in disagreement with you've proposed. I think it's awesome!

I just feel that in the end of the day it's a numbers game involving money, yet this is completely dependent on another numbers game, which is traffic. Yet you have a great point, which is the traffic that frequents this site includes particular individuals who may be those that can directly dictate the circumstances. As to, is it a good idea to run through possible contract structures that allow for the services to be rendered as to off-setting some of the costs. This is something that I'm not all too familiar with, so I don't have much to say. I've been involved, but in the end of the day, I've always just left it in the hands of people that know best and stick to what I know best, strategy.

Which might be the case here, leave 'it in the hands of people that know best'. But I can't see any harm done in tossing around some ideas.

No need to be sorry! I appreciate you replies! At least someone has some ideas around here lol.

Like I said previously, I'd go and just purchase the protection now, and find means of generating income to support it. This could be a blessing in disguise and a kick in the rear that propels ATS to higher heights. Again, Bashar type rhetoric lol.

posted on Apr, 9 2013 @ 05:00 PM
link   

I don't think purchasing the service is an option right now. As I stated, it's very expensive. It's used by major banks, and CC companies to secure their sites. A little site like ATS just doesn't have that type of budget.

But, if there is a member reading your thread, that works for such a company...who knows. Maybe some creative work around, could be worked out.

I do appreciate, you started this thread. Hopefully, some good will come from it.

Des

edit on 9-4-2013 by Destinyone because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 12 2013 @ 03:26 PM
link   
I can't say too much about it here really, we're still investigating all avenues, but ATS will never be a paid service, I feel confident in saying that much.

posted on Apr, 12 2013 @ 03:34 PM
link   
DDOS what does that stand for cos there's no point in me going any further until someone tells me.

Sorry if i seem a bit green its because i am lol and thank you to anyone who tells me

posted on Apr, 12 2013 @ 04:00 PM
link   
reply to post by ballymoney50

Denial of Service is the easy explanation....the attacks that had ATS down.

posted on Apr, 12 2013 @ 04:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

ah right, thank you for that Gazrok, i feel smarter already

posted on Apr, 12 2013 @ 04:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

another silly question why and how did someone do that to ATS was it just silly folk trying to be smart asses (am i allowed to say asses?)

its just i'm not very into computers and stuff so i don't understand a lot of it, i'm dreading the day i have to try and link something on a thread or post

I do love the smiley faces though

posted on Apr, 16 2013 @ 12:48 PM
link   
reply to post by ballymoney50

Let's just say, it took a lot of money to do what happened, so we're investigating the possibilities. This was no college kid that was bored.

join