It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fragrance of Life

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 8 2013 @ 03:43 PM
link   
I believe I was four years old and standing in my grandmother’s yard in Newport, Washington when the fragrance of her lilacs stopped me in my stride. They were in full bloom. Her entire yard was ringed with this profusion of colors and blooms. I stood and inhaled the beauty and somehow even at four I sensed I was in a magical place. This was my first memory of beauty that I can remember.

I was still four year old when I encountered my second intoxicating fragrance of nature. I was living in Shelby, Montana and I was playing beneath the giant cottonwood trees in front of our house. There had been a hard rain the night before and the trees were still dripping. With each drop they brought forth a sweet smell of cottonwood and clay. I can close my eyes and smell it like it was today.

As I grew older there became a number of fragrances that touched my soul. The smell of the gardenia perfume my grandma wore, the smell of fresh baked bread, and the smell of fresh mown hay all took their places in my being.

When I was old enough to go to school the smell of new books and crayons captured my attention. Even the chalkboard holds memories.

I can remember living in northern Idaho and playing with my friends under the boughs of great cedars. We would crush the needles between thumb and forefinger and inhale the mystery of healing into our souls. We felt so protected beneath the canopy.

When I was older and began fly fishing the local streams I began noticing the plants that gave up their fragrance along the stream side. The pungent skunk cabbage and the delicate ferns each providing balance to the bouquet. I can remember the streams by their individual fragrances.

Then age, war, and a deviated septum took their toll. Oh, I still smelled things but they didn’t penetrate to my soul. There have also been many smells that I have tried to forget.

I know smells are associated with our strongest memories. I believe they can often define our lives. When my first child was born, I held her to my nose and inhaled her scent. I imprinted her into my being. I did the same with my son and I believe their smell kicked in a part of my being that will always protect them.

Someday when I am close to death, please let my children lean down to my nose and let me inhale their fragrance once again.

posted on Apr, 8 2013 @ 03:58 PM
link   
reply to post by grayeagle

Nice

Just yesterday my roommate was doing an art project using crayons and the smell opened a floodgate of elementary school memories. It was so cool having our cigar box full of goodies.
The scent of Magnolias bring back good memories of the home I grew up in. Old spice reminds me of my grandpa and many fond memories. Certain perfumes remind of some gals I dated, for better and/or worse.

More recently, the smell of nicodemus flowers transported me to another realm during the evenings. They are indeed divine and put off smell in the evenings. I would highly suggest a potted plant on peoples porches, a real treat with calming and inspiring qualities.
Thanks for sharing and the reminder of things we know with our noses.

Peace,
spec

posted on Apr, 8 2013 @ 04:21 PM
link   
reply to post by speculativeoptimist

I totally agree. I so much appreciate those fragrances that bring such warm feelings. I reinforce them all the time. I find myself enjoying fragrances the way I enjoy music. I often will put the two together and allow my soul to luxuriate!

posted on Apr, 8 2013 @ 06:51 PM
link   

That was beautiful as well my friend. Smells are a wondeful thing..and yes some smells don't bring pleasant memories...but thats ok..everything tragic that happens makes us stronger...imo
The memories of the good smells are the best to hold onto. So sweet how you inhaled in your childrens' smell...I did the same with my boy...I can still remember that sweet baby smell.

My mom wore 'happy' perfume..and it brings memories back when I smell that.
I am trying to wrack my brain of my first smell....hmm...I cannot really remember my first smells.

I do remember my grandmothers house smelled of old antiques..she collected old pictures and always went to estate sales to get old funiture and what not. I love the smell of old things...old books have a wonderful smell.
And right now outside...the smells are of spring...the tress are blooming and its so lovely.
Anyway...thanks for sharing this

peace and love
~nat

posted on Apr, 8 2013 @ 09:43 PM
link   
reply to post by natalia

Thanks for sharing some of your memories. I wonder how many people my age remember the smell of old spice on their dads? or the smell of witch hazel after they came back from the barber?
When I used to raise and breed horses I would always try to be at the birth of the foals so they could smell me and imprint on me.
Nothing smells as good as a newborn baby!

posted on Apr, 14 2013 @ 12:35 AM
link   

grayeagle, How wonderfully written! I am going out to my garden right now..night time or not, just to enjoy! I love flowers. The azaleas and magnolias and dogwoods are in bloom here already. Your word pictures got me to wanna get out there for a moment and enjoy my pretties. Thanx again for all you share my dear friend.

join