It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Does poverty cause crime?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 8 2013 @ 08:46 PM
link   
I believe that poverty does not cause crime. It may contribute somewhat but then again there are many, many things that also contribute to one being a criminal or committing crimes. Poverty causing crime is an excuse. The type of excuse such as this one that we've all heard before: "he's a good boy, he just had no father in his life". Sound familiar? All that it is doing is enabling yet there really isn't much we can do about it without being labeled or ostracized.

Sometimes ulterior motives cause crimes. Motives such as pure hate.
Like this...
washington.cbslocal.com...
He's guilty of committing a crime. The reason, not because he is poor but because he is filled with hatred and resentment. Those are the two biggest fuels for crime IMO
edit on 8-4-2013 by kimish because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 8 2013 @ 08:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cabin

"Nearly all poor people are not criminals, although nearly all criminals are poor."

I hope that sentence makes sense.

No it does'nt make sense. There is a whole gang of criminals that are living quite nicely and don't have to worry about money for a long time.

Wall Street.

nuff said.

I argued for a while in another thread about this particular matter and I could not create an argument, so I decided to make a thread about this question

No you did not argue this point in your other thread. Your other argument that you were trying to make was that poor people should not be allowed guns because they are more likely to commit crimes with a firearm. Totally different argument. Also a totally flawed one which is why you could not create an argument for it.

And also, my wife and I have been living off of less than 1000 dollars per month for the last two years. I have a house note, truck note, insurance, utilities to pay also. It is just enough to cover the bills. But I also hunt, fish, garden, use everything that I can possibly use around the house and what people throw away at the local dump for whatever I can think of.

I would be inclined to say it is more of a race thing but that is not something you are allowed to say in our politically correct culture. But even then it is obvious when I look at the arrest reports in the local newspapers and the demographics of who is in the local jails.
edit on 8-4-2013 by Cancerwarrior because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 8 2013 @ 09:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Cabin

Id say that its the unrealistic expectation of success.

The rich create an unrealistic expectation that sucks in enough prey to let them keep the lifestyles they enjoy.

posted on Apr, 8 2013 @ 10:18 PM
link   
Poverty is linked to inequality in rich capitalistic nations like the US, this bring a gap in class, this gap in class is one of the causes no the reason in the rise of criminal activities, that is why crime seems to be in higher concentrations within very poor communities.

The psychological effects of poverty when it comes to people losing their hopes and turning into hopelessness escalate into acts of crime because a mentality that is nothing more to lose seems to be one of the triggers of criminal activity but not the reason for all criminal activity.

The reason for crime is a more complicated issue than we can debate here and can not be tag to poverty alone.

posted on Apr, 8 2013 @ 10:22 PM
link   

Throughout history, poverty is the normal condition of man. Advances which permit this norm to be exceeded -- here and there, now and then -- are the work of an extremely small minority, frequently despised, often condemned, and almost always opposed by all right-thinking people. Whenever this tiny minority is kept from creating, or (as sometimes happens) is driven out of a society, the people then slip back into abject poverty.

This is known as "bad luck".

-Robert Heinlein

I'm gonna make my own thread.

Mike Grouchy

top topics

<< 1   >>

join