It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cairo clashes at St Mark's Coptic Cathedral after funerals

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 8 2013 @ 01:52 AM
link   
Cairo clashes at St Mark's Coptic Cathedral after funerals
www.bbc.co.uk...

The health ministry said one Christian man was killed. The ambulance service said he was struck with birdshot.

Mourners inside the church had earlier chanted slogans against Egypt's Islamist President, Mohammed Morsi.

Witnesses told local TV stations that the violence started when a mob attacked mourners as they exited the cathedral, pelting them with stones and petrol bombs. There was initially little police presence.

The Christians responded by throwing stones back, the witnesses said, until police arrived and attempted to quell the unrest, firing tear gas into the cathedral compound.

Mourners inside the church chanting slogans against Mohammed Morsi at a funeral. Disgusting

Not suggesting that their opinions of Morsi aren't warranted, but cmon, is that really appropriate?

Anyways, now the reason I decided to post this:

It also said President Morsi had denounced the violence in a phone call to the head of the Pope Tawadros II, the head of the Coptic Christian church.

"Any attack against the cathedral is like an attack against me personally," he was reported as saying.

Obviously Morsi hates Zionism, but does he have any history of promoting intolerance towards other religions outside of Islam? Has he ever directed hate against Christians? What I'm getting at, is Morsi to blame? Even if it's claims that Morsi isn't coming to the defense of Christians, what is he supposed to do? Martial law to prevent this?

Egypt's minority of Coptic Christians, who make up about 10% of the population, have accused the government of failing to protect them, following the fall of Hosni Mubarak in 2011.

Clashes between Muslims and Coptic Christians have been seen numerous times since then, but this weekend's violence was the worst seen in several months.

I'd imagine that since the fall of Hosni Mubarak, there's been miscommunication and unstable relationships with in the government, especially in the justice department. They have their 'hands full', I'd imagine. So is Morsi to blame, or is it just easier for these 'Christians' just to point the finger? Well...

Meanwhile, Egypt's top judicial body has urged the chief prosecutor appointed by Mr Morsi to step down.

Talaat Abdullah, who was named to the post by President Morsi in December, has provoked anger by demanding the arrest of several high-profile political activists.

In a statement on Sunday, Egypt's Supreme Judiciary Council urged Mr Abdullah to return to his previous job as a judge.

Last week a court annulled the presidential decree that appointed him, but Mr Abdullah continued to carry out his duties, including issuing arrest warrants for activists accused of insulting President Morsi and Islam.

Discontent with the government has also spread to the economy. Unemployment is continuing to rise and industrial action has become commonplace.

I don't know the in's and out's of Egypt's government, but I can't resist having an opinion and expressing it lol.

You(Morsi) appoint Talaat Abdullah to chief prosecutor, then a court annulled the presidential decree, and you still allow him to carry out that position? Are you the new dictator?

So much to be said about that.., maybe you guys can comment on that one saving me the rant. Lets just say, confidence in the government may bring some civility, including what every country needs most, economic stability.

Morsi needs to put Mr Abdullah in his place, back as a judge, and help restore confidence in his ability to rule effectively.

I say, they're all guilty. Morsi for being weak, the Christians for drawing inflammatory symbols on an Islamic institute, the Muslims for entertaining the violence and propelling it into the situation it currently is.

First I

and finally

posted on Apr, 8 2013 @ 08:14 PM
link   
That is it, Morsi does little to prevent violence against Christians. All he has to do is send in greater numbers of police to protect isolated Christian communities, with a more robust mandate to enforce the law.

join