It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lipomas

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 7 2013 @ 10:50 PM
link   

A lipoma is a benign tumor composed of adipose tissue. It is the most common form of soft tissue tumor.[1] Lipomas are soft to the touch, usually movable, and are generally painless. Many lipomas are small (under one centimeter diameter) but can enlarge to sizes greater than six centimeters. Lipomas are commonly found in adults from 40 to 60 years of age, but can also be found in younger adults and children. Some sources claim that malignant transformation can occur,[2] while others say that this has yet to be convincingly documented.[3]

TextThe tendency to develop a lipoma is not necessarily hereditary although hereditary conditions, such as familial multiple lipomatosis, may include lipoma development.[14][15] Genetic studies in mice have shown a correlation between the HMG I-C gene (previously identified as a gene related to obesity) and lipoma development. These studies support prior epidemiologic data in humans showing a correlation between HMG I-C and mesenchymal tumors.[16] Cases have been reported where minor injuries are alleged to have triggered the growth of a lipoma, called "post-traumatic lipomas."[17] However, the link between trauma and the development of lipomas is controversial.[18] [edit]
So here is my situation, I first noticed this problem last year when I spotted one of these on the right side of my chest. At first I ignored it and thought that eventually it will go away on its own, but unfortunately it didn't. Recently more and more have developed, in total I have 8 and they are all spread out over my body, legs, arms, shoulders, torso and back. I'm 29 very active and in great shape and really started to get frustrated by them. No one in family has ever had them either which is very because my doctor told me it genetic . The are lots of great post on here about holistic and alternative ways of healing and treating numerous diseases. I was wondering if anyone on here has had the same problem or knows of any alternative ways of treating this problem. The doctor told that if gets bad enough then the only was way to treat them is through surgery, and that's the last thing I want to do. Any reply or info would be greatly appreciated, I've been looking on the Internet and all states the same thing about the treatment. These things are started to take control of my life and I want to do something to take it back.

posted on Apr, 7 2013 @ 10:56 PM
link   
What do you have against surgery?

I suppose if you don't have insurance than you should look for other methods but if you can afford it than by all means, just have em cut out.

Should be a relatively minor process.

posted on Apr, 7 2013 @ 11:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Hopechest

I would much rather prefer the non-invasive method, usually if the lipoma is removed surgically it can potentially grow again.

posted on Apr, 7 2013 @ 11:08 PM
link   
reply to post by szusty

I had one on my back. It got infected and full of puss. I went to the emergency room at 11:00pm because it hurt so bad. They punctured a hole with a scalpel 1 1/2 inches in the middle of the lipoma and used a syringe to remove over 12cc's of puss.

I still have the scar and it was over 2 years ago. You should speak to your doctor.

posted on Apr, 7 2013 @ 11:13 PM
link   
I would never forego known medical treatments for alternative cures.

Only as a last resort would I do that. It may be invasive but when your dealing with your health sometimes you have no choice.

I broke my pinky finger knuckle a few months ago and the doctor said he could do surgery, simply leave it and hope it heals, or break it again and try to pop the knuckle back in place.

Don't believe them when they say they can numb you lol. Anyways had it not healed properly after the doctor popped it back I would have had surgery.

Not a big deal although I would have made sure they knocked me out for that one.

posted on Apr, 7 2013 @ 11:23 PM
link   
reply to post by szusty

I have one on my back, created by a night spent at a minor league ballpark pitching cage and too many beers. Some friends of mine and I went out one evening and this ballpark had a pitching cage where it would measure the speed of your pitch. Get 4 guys together and competition led to a few hours spent trying to outdo one another.

I woke up the next morning with a ruined shoulder and a torn up back. The lipoma is a result. (My wife calls it my idiot-bump)

A doc said he could perform the surgery to get rid of it, but it is primarily cosmetic. I never did it, I try to avoid surgery if I can.

Talk to your doctor. Lipomas can stop being benign.

Good luck!

posted on Apr, 7 2013 @ 11:41 PM
link   
Forgive my ignorance. You tell us

Lipomas are commonly found in adults from 40 to 60 years of age, . . . Some sources claim that malignant transformation can occur.
And you have eight of them?

I'm sorry, but this seems to be very unusual. You further explain that the lipomas are getting in the way of your life. I know you'd prefer to have tea or acupuncture, but my thought is to hit the M.D. shop and listen carefully to what he's got to say.

Luck.

posted on Apr, 8 2013 @ 01:21 AM
link   
reply to post. y charles1952

I also have one on my side, 10 years now. My Dr said it is a metabolic issue. The body not distributing fat properly. I was advised to stay away from chocolate and caffeine... and that if I gain weight it will get bigger. If I lose weight it stays the same. I have looked into alternatives but surgery looks like the best option. Seems to be an easy procedure. Good luck

posted on Apr, 8 2013 @ 02:50 AM
link   
My mum has loads of these, in her arms and legs, one in her neck etc. They're not overly noticeable, and they're benign so she's just left them. She's had them for years.
I don't understand how they're getting in the way of your life. They're small lumps of fatty tissue, it's not like it's growing over your eyelid or making you blind. If its vanity, then get it sorted.
edit on 8-4-2013 by Lulzaroonie because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 8 2013 @ 02:58 AM
link   
I had one the size of a golf ball removed from my shoulder , ten years ago .
I now have one on my left forearm , several on my stomach and one on my right thigh .
I have had them for years and just tend to ignore them .

posted on Apr, 8 2013 @ 03:23 AM
link   
Periodic injections of phosphatidylcholine/deoxycholate 5% every month for 6 months coupled with strict caloric restriction has helped reduce my fat pads.

They do come back after a few years on holidays when I did not restrict calories. Then I went under more series of lipostabil, to shrink the lipomas down again.

Continuous caloric restriction, vegan diet, circulation, and exercise all help keep those fat pads at bay, since then as I'd hate to let myself go again and have to endure a third round of lipo treatments! Godspeed OP!

posted on Apr, 8 2013 @ 03:44 AM
link   
I had a growth on my right outer thigh quite a few years ago (late nineties/early noughties).

I became gradually aware of it but didn't give it much thought.

Until it started to grow.

It grew to about golf ball size, but the really worrying thing was that the slightest touch was extremely painful.

The doc told me it was only a lipoma and was willing to excise it for me there and then with only a local anaesthetic!

Or else I could just wait for it to disappear of its own accord.

I told him, "the last thing you said, " and left.

It's gone now, thank god.

I've got no idea what the hell it was or how it got to be there.

I've had nothing like it before or since.

posted on Apr, 12 2013 @ 05:32 PM
link   
My husband had one, it was a 30 minute out-patient surgery to remove it from his forearm. No big deal...but you may want to give serious consideration to an anti-inflammatory diet. Cut out excess sugar.

top topics

join