It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ron Paul Launches Liberty-based Homeschool Curriculum

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 9 2013 @ 10:04 PM
link   
reply to post by jude11

Liberty and Rights in the forefront, you say, or rather the OP says is the basis of this ciriculum. I have to ask what about Responsiblies and Service.

The liberty and Rights crowd seems awfully selfish to me at times and I know they don't think of themselves that way. I was taught (by my Career Army Dad and housewife Mom) that being a US Citizen was about Service and Responsibiliites to my fellow Countrypeople and the people of the world. It wasn't about My Rights and My Liberty but about Your Rights and Your Liberty. It was about my Service to you not your Service to me. It was about My Responsibilities to you not your responsiblites towards me.

Liberty and Rights mean nothing went there are denied to some for the benefit of others, real or perceived.

I had this talk with a young man not to long ago. He said we can all agree about Freedom. I agreed and asked his definition of Freedom - Freedom to or Fredom from? Those are the questions our children need to discuss in school. Question without right and wrong answers, questions that are personal and reveliant and open to change as we grow and change.

posted on Apr, 9 2013 @ 10:27 PM
link   
It's a shame that children are not taught that the government serves them, and all that goes along with that. This should be priority number one, and the focus should be on educating children on how democracy truly works. Then as they get older and progress through school they can draw their own conclusions about what is wrong with the government, etc. And it is surprising to learn about how many overseas countries have a much wider curriculum. American children really are getting screwed. Especially since the main thing they are taught is to perpetuate the broken secondary educational system. Universities should be virtually free, like in places like France. Instead of spending tax dollars on things like this, the government goes against the will of the majority and spends on ridiculous crap that helps mostly those who have large bank accounts already...mainly businesses.

And there is no such thing as a liberal education anymore. All education should be broad. This is so that someone fresh out of school will be able to understand the variety or problems concerning not only their jobs, but the country as a whole. Economics should be a much larger area of education, especially concerning how taxes work, how to analyze what the government is doing with your money, etc.

Private schools are not democratic at all, and they go to on to perpetuate the broken system. Private schools reward those students whose parents have lots of money and can afford to send them there. While everyone else is forced into public school. And guess which offers a better education? Guess which educators actually care about educating? So the rich kids start off getting a better education. And then look at the concept of grades. Dr. Wolff says that he hates giving grades at the university, and that many other professors agree. And why? Because grading in college is designed to do one thing, not determine if one passes the course, but to inform employers as to who to hire. So the system is designed with the thought of benefiting the same capitalists who cause us so many problems to begin with. For a more in depth view on this, and to fill in what I skipped over, check out this man's lectures. They are eye opening.

posted on Apr, 10 2013 @ 12:32 AM
link   
I love me some RP, but to be honest I'm not sure how to feel about this. This Gary North guy does tickle my bull# meter a bit..

Have we all so soon forgotten Dr. Paul's history of putting his name on questionable things? **ahem.. newsletters.. racist newsletters**

Ron Paul did not write the racist comments found in the newsletters circulated under his name in the 80's and 90's.. but they did have his name on them. Look, the guy makes investments. I certainly can not say I wouldn't do the exact same thing if I were in his position. It's smart. You tend to make a bit of money doing it. Money's not a bad thing to make. In any case I'd rather have my elected official make a little side cash by endorsing some educational product than making a ridiculous amount of money by complying with special interests, amiright?

new topics

<< 1  2   >>

join