It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Does the Universe Have a Purpose? feat. Neil deGrasse Tyson

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 5 2013 @ 08:45 AM
link   
Source link

“Why does the world exist?,” asked one of the best philosophy books of the year. Another way to put is, “Does the universe have a purpose?” That’s exactly what the John Templeton Foundation asked a dozen of our time’s greatest scientific minds in a new series of Big Questions. The wonderful MinutePhysics — who have previously given us a stride-stopping open letter on the state of science education and animated explanations of why the color pink doesn’t exist, why the past is different from the future, and why it’s dark at night — have animated Neil deGrasee Tyson’s characteristically brilliant answer to the question, which once again reaffirms him as the Carl Sagan of our day:

To assert that the universe has a purpose implies the universe has intent. And intent implies a desired outcome. But who would do the desiring? And what would a desired outcome be? That carbon-based life is inevitable? Or that sentient primates are life’s neurological pinnacle? Are answers to these questions even possible without expressing a profound bias of human sentiment? Of course humans were not around to ask these questions for 99.9999% of cosmic history. So if the purpose of the universe was to create humans then the cosmos was embarrassingly inefficient about it.

“In the absence of human hubris, and after we filter out the delusional assessments it promotes within us, the universe looks more and more random.”

I love this video and the message by famed astrophysicist Neil deGrasse Tyson. The video allows you to think the purpose of the universe and why are we here. I can recall growing up as a Christian and believing, like billions of others, that God created the universe and everything in-between. However, as I started to identify as an atheist I saw the purpose of God and creation as illogical. It might seem like I have nothing to live for if I see life through the eyes of a scientist. But that couldn't further from reality. Science is a great way in knowing ourselves and the universe. I doubt the universe has a purpose, but our purpose is to understand. I am Jonathan David Arguelles and I approve this message.

posted on Apr, 5 2013 @ 08:56 AM
link   
I think the question likes

"What is the meaning of Life?"
"Why are we here?"
"What is our purpose?"
"Why is Universe here?

Are all good philosophical and curious question, but one should not expect an answer, because no one knows. If they claim they know, its probably because they are lying.

Humans Gave Purpose to things, they never "needed" a purpose or had one attached to them, they are just there.

posted on Apr, 5 2013 @ 08:58 AM
link   
reply to post by luciddream

That's true. We can always fathom what everything means. I think it is better to appreciate what we have now and help future generations appreciate life.

posted on Apr, 5 2013 @ 09:05 AM
link   
There is a general problem with philosophical questions related to cosmology. These questions seek answers whose proof by scientific method (the very basis of modern science) is currently out of reach due to the (1) the lack of specific information concerning the structure and make-up of the universe at its largest to most quantum scale. (2) The lack of specific information about the limits our own consciousness has on our perception of the actual universe. (3) The limitations of are current technology, instrumentation, and methodology to 'extract' more information from our physical surroundings to establish new and more accurate theories/laws/etc. (4) An arguably inherent limitation in what is possible to actually know about the universe from our relative position within it.

Essentially questions like these remain in the realm of philosophy, because they try to to put the cart before the horse. Speculating and postulating about phenomena with little to no real tangible information in which to make intelligible and sound arguments.

Not to say that philosophical speculation is meaningless--far from it. Rather, I'm suggesting we should try and take a wait-and-see approach--scrounging for more solid information instead of speculating endlessly on currently unknowable things from out relative position.

I hope that made some sense. Nonetheless, great post and Neil Tyson is awesome--always enjoy his thoughts.
edit on 5-4-2013 by ForwardDrift because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 5 2013 @ 09:16 AM
link   
"having a purpose" is an idea created by man, that explains an evaluated path, or choice of an action. therefore, no.

posted on Apr, 5 2013 @ 09:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by jimmyx
"having a purpose" is an idea created by man, that explains an evaluated path, or choice of an action. therefore, no.

Hmm, yes and no. Having a purpose is (as far as we know) an exclusively human notion. But what if, hypothetically, we encounter another alien race in the future who has a similar notion. What if we find out that the notion of "purpose" is an inherent property/consequence/outcome of being a complex biological species with a form of self-awareness/consciousness. What then? What if we find out the universe is indeed a holograph or a matrix designed by some "higher-power" with a "purpose" in mind. I'm not arguing this is the case--I'm merely suggesting that the questions isn't as narrow, simple and easy as you're arguing. We simply lack enough information about our reality to really have the hubris to even tackle such questions with a straight face.

posted on Apr, 5 2013 @ 09:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Phoenix267

The only logic I can find in this thread, simply calls attention to the obvious. How could there be a purpose to the existence of anything from the bleak view that is atheism ? The only way there could possibly be a purpose to existence is if there were a higher intellect than our own in existence. I frankly don't understand what's so impossible about that.

But where is the logic in living this life experience and filling your MIND with knowledge for absolutely ZILCH.
God is just the highest form of existence there is and that is purely spirit. The light of eternal mind.
The video is a moot point. But you can be in love with lies I don't give a crap.

posted on Apr, 5 2013 @ 09:50 AM
link   
reply to post by randyvs

I would have to respectfully disagree. The concept of god could mean almost anything to the believer. Atheism is not a bleak belief. It just a lack of belief in god. I doubt there is a purpose in life, but believe we can make life magical and enjoyable.

posted on Apr, 5 2013 @ 10:09 AM
link   

An illogical lack of belief in an existence higher and holier than our own. It's the perfect premise for those who will not live by Gods law.

I don't see you, so stop pretending you're there !

posted on Apr, 5 2013 @ 10:12 AM
link   
reply to post by randyvs

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree. To me the idea of God is a possibility. Unless you would like to share about your beliefs to me I feel confident in my atheism.

posted on Apr, 5 2013 @ 10:18 AM
link   
I agree with NdGT (I usually do). And I should note there is a difference between the "purpose of the universe" and the "purpose of life". The universe just "is", and I'm fine with that. Do I know that the universe wasn't created? Of course not - but I am comfortable with the supposition that it wasn't and truly believe that the concept of god is just a human construct born out of ignorance of the world around him. Now, as to a purpose in life - we each choose that for ourselves. See "humanism". I believe my purpose is to make the best of my life, the best for my family, and to do what I can to better the human race - kindness is a very rewarding thing, and, in the end, what we have is each other. Nothing more, nothing less.

posted on Apr, 5 2013 @ 10:19 AM
link   

I feel confident in my atheism.

And my reply's were certainly meant to shake that confidence. Good luck.

Redtic

The universe just "is", a

The universe just is ? Where is the evidence of that ? That's borderline blasphemy because you can't possibly know that unless you are God.
edit on 5-4-2013 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 5 2013 @ 10:20 AM
link   
reply to post by randyvs

Well, thanks. If you do not mind I would like to know more about your beliefs. I'll message you to see what you believe in and how your views shape your world.

posted on Apr, 5 2013 @ 10:30 AM
link   

You can look for some links to some of my threads in this post. I'll put 'em up in a few. Excuse the shell i.e the way I come off. I'm not use to finding such a polite atheist.

So how do you explain existence ?

The living Bible is a history book.

I am going to see God

Ancient aliens Satan's counterfiets

Science fails to exclude God

posted on Apr, 5 2013 @ 10:35 AM
link   
If you've ever seen his Big Think vids and some of his other talks where he makes fun of, in a rather condescending manner, any idea of God, you'd realize that his bias is based on Atheism, or in the least Agnosticism. ALthough at least in Agnosticism, one can say, "I don't know."

With such views, all there is left is that there is no purpose and everything is random chaos.

The astronomical odds of everything being just right for us to exist here, oxygen levels between 19.5-21%, correct distance from the sun, amount of gravity, etc .......I can go on and on ......just to say its entertaining to see Atheist/Agnostic's trying to figure out the "Why" of all this, when the "why" is based on God and the Spiritual realms, something that cane be experienced and does not rely on faith alone, as so many "believe" to be the case.

Too many people experiencing NDE's, OBE's, and remembering existing prior to being born here, or remembering a reincarnated state. These are the so called scientific "anomalies" a Tyson-type has to contend with. Since we don't see any % of people claiming experiences of Unicorns or Spaghettis monsters, like those that do OBE's/NDE's.

I was an Atheist once too, and that was my final conclusion: All random chaos, no purpose, we create our own bias based illusions on "purpose", and thus everything seemed to be bullshi* and then everything was allowable to me. Why follow rules when they are relative? Why care? Why help? No Karma, no god, no nothing when I die, all meaningless at the very core of existence.

Of course after experiencing spiritual realities, transcendence, the timeless now, and an Infinite Omni-present Beingness, all that's left now is to laugh at my old views with a child-like humor ....including those of Tyson and his buddies, knowing that physical death, which will come very quick (time flies) will be the ultimate equalizer and revealer of all things.
edit on 5-4-2013 by dominicus because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 5 2013 @ 10:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by randyvs
Redtic

The universe just "is", a

The universe just is ? Where is the evidence of that ? That's borderline blasphemy because you can't possibly know that unless you are God.

Umm, hello - selective reading?? I said:

The universe just "is", and I'm fine with that. Do I know that the universe wasn't created? Of course not - but I am comfortable with the supposition that it wasn't and truly believe that the concept of god is just a human construct born out of ignorance of the world around him.

And how can I blaspheme if I don't believe in a god?

posted on Apr, 5 2013 @ 10:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by dominicus
If you've ever seen his Big Think vids and some of his other talks where he makes fun of, in a rather condescending manner, any idea of God, you'd realize that his bias is based on Atheism, or in the least Agnosticism.

With such views, all there is left is that there is no purpose and everything is random chaos.

The astronomical odds of everything being just right for us to exist here, oxygen levels between 19.5-21%, correct distance from the sun, amount of gravity, etc .......I can go on and on ......just to say its entertaining to see Atheist/Agnostic's trying to figure out the "Why" of all this, when the "why" is based on God and the Spiritual realms, something that cane be experienced and does not rely on faith alone, as so many "believe" to be the case.

Too many people experiencing NDE's, OBE's, and remembering existing prior to being born here, or remembering a reincarnated state. These are the so called scientific "anomalies" a Tyson-type has to contend with. Since we don't see any % of people claiming experiences of Unicorns or Spaghettis monsters, like those that do OBE's/NDE's.

I was an ATheist once too, and that was my final conclusion: All random chaos, no purpose, why crate our own bias based illusions on "purpose", and thus everything seemed to be bullshi* and then everything was allowable to me. Why follow rules when they are relative? Why care? Why help? No Karma, no god, no nothing when I die, all meaning less at the very core of existence.

Of course after experiencing spiritual realities, transcendence, the timeless now, and an Infinite Omni-present Beingness, all that's left now is to laugh at my old views with a child-like humor ....including those of Tyson and his buddies, knowing that physical death, which will come very quick (time flies) will be the ultimate equalizer and revealer of all things.

Again, yes, but maybe no. And here is why. Let's assume (for the sake of progressing the discussion) you are correct and these experiences that people are having (OBE's, NDE's, past-life experiences) are, in fact, occurring. Who is to say that these experiences can not be explained under current or expanded models of science? Why do they necessarily have to exclusively some vague "spiritual and moral-based" system that science is unable to comprehend or comment on? What would prevent these experiences from being a new way in which information is discovered to interact through time and space, instead of "spirits" or some-such thing.And even assuming these phenomena existed, why would they necessarily mean that there is an inherent purpose or meaning to life? They wouldn't--all they would tell us is that these events occur and that they have some physical law of basis in reality, known or unknown by us from our relative position and understanding. See the problem with the lines of thinking (in both science and spiritual communities)? Too many assumptions with few facts.

posted on Apr, 5 2013 @ 10:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by dominicus

Funny - that's like saying "wow, you know what the chances are of me being born to my exact two parents - they're astronomical - someone must have planned that". The earth is literally one in a million - look around us - scientists have been doing just that for a long time, and guess what - we haven't found anyone else yet! Know why - because the universe is big - very big, and in the grand scheme of things, life like ours is likely pretty rare when compared to the size of the universe. My point is that what makes us special is that we are the result of improbable odds, not that we're the result of some magical being who plopped the earth into existence and seeded life to it.

And again - do I know this for a fact? No! Do I have definitive proof that there's not a god (or aliens) that created us? No! And neither do you! We choose to believe based on the data we're provided. So let that be that.

posted on Apr, 5 2013 @ 10:57 AM
link   
reply to post by redtic

Blasphemy occurs when one proclaims that he is God. Your beliefs or non belief wouldn't be a factor.
I must have been distracted when my wife brought coffee. I don't usually make that kind of mistake.
Clearly I missed that part of your text and you have my apology.

posted on Apr, 5 2013 @ 11:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by randyvs
reply to post by redtic

Blasphemy occurs when one proclaims that he is God.

Ha - maybe the god of averageness?
I'm not aware making any explicit godlike proclamations.

Your beliefs or non belief wouldn't be a factor.
I must have been distracted when my wife brought coffee. I don't usually make that kind of mistake.
Clearly I missed that part of your text and you have my apology.

Ha - no worries. All in good discourse.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join