It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Concerned Officials Warn: “North Korea Could Explode a High-Altitude Nuclear Device Over the Unite

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 3 2013 @ 07:59 AM
link   
reply to post by OptimusSubprime

What the hell is the purpose of this fear mongering, I wonder? They have no way to deliver such a device, at least no way that wouldn't get detected and intercepted long before posing a threat. Hell, even if every single step of our missile defense system missed, I'd have a pilot fly headfirst into it, if need be. This is absurd.

posted on Apr, 3 2013 @ 08:06 AM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

What the hell is the purpose of this fear mongering, I wonder? They have no way to deliver such a device, at least no way that wouldn't get detected and intercepted long before posing a threat. Hell, even if every single step of our missile defense system missed, I'd have a pilot fly headfirst into it, if need be. This is absurd.

The website that posted this fiction exists to frighten people into buying their "survival library":

ultimatepreparednesslibrary.com...

posted on Apr, 3 2013 @ 08:08 AM
link   
would the us government actually explode an emp and blame n.k. in order to create a reason to bomb n.k.?

posted on Apr, 3 2013 @ 08:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok

What the hell is the purpose of this fear mongering, I wonder?

To sell more books!

The author of the original source article on WND recently released a book titled A Nation Forsaken: EMP: The Escalating Threat of an American Catastrophe

I personally believe that if this was in in the realm of possibility for North Korea they would be the ones releasing these type of 'news' stories, not anonymous US officials thru an article on World Net Daily.

posted on Apr, 3 2013 @ 08:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by intrptr
For anyone who actually wants to read about EMP produced by hi altitude nuclear weapons detonations...

There is debunking by scientists who know. Put away your hype caps.

' Indeed, electromagnetic pulses, EMP, generated by high-altitude nuclear explosions have riveted the attention of the military nuclear technical community for more than three and a half decades since the first comparatively modest one very unexpectedly and abruptly turned off the lights over a few million square miles of the mid-Pacific. This EMP also shut down radio stations and street-lighting systems, turned off cars, burned out telephone systems and wreaked other technical mischief throughout the Hawaiian Islands nearly 1,000 miles distant from ground zero.'

However, Dr Wood is not very specific when mentioning damage to radio stations and telephone systems. Dr John Malik notes on page 31 of Herman Hoerlin's Los Alamos National Laboratory report LA-6405, United States High Altitude Test Experiences:

'Starfish produced the largest fields of the high-altitude detonations; they caused outages of the series-connected street-lighting systems of Oahu (Hawaii), probable failure of a microwave repeating station on Kauai, failure of the input stages of ionospheric sounders and damage to rectifiers in communication receivers. Other than the failure of the microwave link, no problem was noted in the telephone system. No failure was noted in the telemetry systems used for data transmission on board the many instrumentation rockets.

'There was no apparent increase in radio or television repairs subsequent to any of the Johnston Island detonations. The failures observed were generally in the unprotected input stages of receivers or in rectifiers of electronic equipment; transients on the power line probably caused the rectifier failures. There was one failure in the unprotected part of an electronic system of the LASL Optical Station on top of Mount Haleakala on Maui Island. With the increase of solidstate circuitry over the vacuum-tube technology of 1962, the susceptibility of electronic equipment will be higher, and the probability of more problems for future detonations will be greater. However, if detonations are below line-of-sight, the fields and therefore system problems will be much smaller.'

ed-thelen.org...

It seems that the lower the detonation the smaller the radii of EMP due to the Earth's curvature. EMP is line of sight. The higher the altitude, the more energy is caught upwards by the Earth's Magnetic Field lines. This can produce effects a long ways off because the energy follows lay lines up into space and back down again to small areas far from the detonation. Thats why Hawaii experienced the effects it did during Pacific tests. Those effects have since ben exaggerated.

Solar storms and lighting strikes are more capable of destroying electronics and power relay equipment. And they do.

It seems like you missed this part of the article you posted.

With the increase of solidstate circuitry over the vacuum-tube technology of 1962, the susceptibility of electronic equipment will be higher, and the probability of more problems for future detonations will be greater. However, if detonations are below line-of-sight, the fields and therefore system problems will be much smaller.'

If it explodes over the US then it's not below line of sight.

posted on Apr, 3 2013 @ 08:23 AM
link   
reply to post by buster2010

If it explodes over the US then it's not below line of sight.

Provided it is detonated at an altitude of 300 miles. North Korea can't loft a basketball that high.

posted on Apr, 3 2013 @ 08:29 AM
link   
I may be skimmed through all this too quickly- but...
did we already debunk the possibility of an HEMP being set off from their satelite?

posted on Apr, 3 2013 @ 08:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by Bluesma
I may be skimmed through all this too quickly- but...
did we already debunk the possibility of an HEMP being set off from their satelite?

Highly doubtful that NK's satellite can be used as a weapon of any kind, be a nuclear detonation or some sort of EMP weapon.

It's in a polar orbit and orbits the earth about every 95 minutes. However the functionality of the satellite is in question.

NK claims that it is fully operational and is transmitting signals. Tracking by South Africa and the UK show that the satellite's brightness fluctuates wildly, suggesting that it's tumbling out of control.

In order to use something like this as a weapon, let us say a nuclear device to detonate either for EMP or other type of burst, you need to be able to control the satellite's deorbit burn, if it even has that capablity (massing at only 220 pounds, lighter than me, heh, I doubt that seriously), you can not have a satellite tumbling like that in order to do a controlled deorbit.

It would first need to do controlled burns to stabilize it.

One could suggest that they are counting on it deorbiting on it's own and achieve the same thing, but that would be very hard to do, especially since the data tracking shows that it's orbit could have it stay up there for many years even though it's tumbling.

As for signals being transmitted from it: only NK has reported this and claimed that it's working.

posted on Apr, 3 2013 @ 08:49 AM
link   

China would not let NK start such a war. It would be extremely bad for business... and they're in the fallout radius too. lol

IRM

posted on Apr, 3 2013 @ 09:00 AM
link   
reply to post by eriktheawful

Thanks!

posted on Apr, 3 2013 @ 09:01 AM
link   

How, OP... just HOW North Korea can send ICBMs (which is yet to prove they have) all across the Pacific, and avoid all the missile defenses and Star Wars program-related defenses?

The only way it's possible, is if the Pentagon allows it to happen and lets the missiles entering. Or just doing it themselves and blame it on North Korea!

...as you may know the DoD has high-power EMPs already.

posted on Apr, 3 2013 @ 09:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok

dont take this the wrong way please.

This was said on Pre December 7th 1941. You cant sink ships in this bay with torpedoes..... um ok.

Look at japan in WW2, Many Generals there knew fighting america was going to be a losing battle. But they were backed into a corner with the oil and steal embargo and had “no other choices”. So they attacked the sleeping giant. NK is getting backed into a corner.

They have the means of getting a satellite in orbit and they have one up there right now, a satellite that Officials said its “ orbit is unstable” yet it’s still up there and it flies over America every once and a wile.

They have nukes, just tune them to release more gamma rays on detonation.

Or put a rocket lunch platform on a commercial transporter and drive close to western USA and lunch from there.

Remember the mystery rocket lunch off the coast of LA a few years back.??? The government did not shoot that down.
edit on 3-4-2013 by camaro68ss because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 3 2013 @ 09:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by Lawgiver
would the us government actually explode an emp and blame n.k. in order to create a reason to bomb n.k.?

Well like the US, theres other countries that can trace anything back to its point of origin, and that thing has to be set off at a very high altitude for maximum effect... so, unless the us has a black project somewhere and can launch it from space, no.

As false flags go, it would be easier to set off 2 or 3 weapons in american soil, - it would have to be done on the west coast given the proximity - if you set one off on the east coast it would sound like a blatant lie and not even a blind drunk would believe it. So, west coast, one in a city with a high gdp (to hurt the people financially - turns to anger), one in an important military base (to give it credibility for a strategic attack) and one in a highly populated area (to shock the average american and turn the people pro-war) - I would pick L.A - one of the if not the highest gdp of the us, el segundo af base (home of the smc) and highly populated. Well with all the material available in the black market is not hard to find non-us uranium or plutonium to get something really dirty. But in this case, with NK, I dont think the ends justify the means. At least not yet.

posted on Apr, 3 2013 @ 09:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by Echtelion

How, OP... just HOW North Korea can send ICBMs (which is yet to prove they have) all across the Pacific, and avoid all the missile defenses and Star Wars program-related defenses?

The only way it's possible, is if the Pentagon allows it to happen and lets the missiles entering. Or just doing it themselves and blame it on North Korea!

how did they get a Satellite in space? Lol they did it. Even with all that “star wars defenses”

your not thinking outside the box. They fire the rocket into orbit. Having it fly south, once in orbit it flys over Australia, over Antarctica, then it heads north over south America, mexico and right up through Texas. Detonation happens over Nebraska, lights out.

It dosnt need to fly over the pacific. Attack where your enemys are not there.

posted on Apr, 3 2013 @ 09:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by OptimusSubprime

Originally posted by elysiumfire
You need to provide links for your source, please. I would've thought you would know this, seeing as how you quoting non-personal material?

As for exploding an atomic weapon, North Korea does not have the capability to ballistically deliver such a device over the mainland of the US, nor enough atomic material with enough payload required to create such an EMP blast. At best, North Korea will have as many as 40 near Hiroshima-sized devices that they might be able to deliver up to a 2500 mile radius. From North Korea to Western Mainland US is almost 6000 miles.

I forgot the link... it's there now... people make mistakes... calm down

I agree with your thoughts on NK but that is why I mentioned the possibility of them having "friends"

It's all propaganda.. That's why they released Red Daw, Olympus has Fallen and more to come NK propaganda movies around the same time the NK "threats" started.

posted on Apr, 3 2013 @ 09:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by camaro68ss

Originally posted by Echtelion

how did they get a Satellite in space? Lol they did it. Even with all that “star wars defenses”

A satellite into orbit above the artic, yeah...
Which is about the only place where NK is allowed to orbit a satellite.

Do you think the US doesn't have defenses against hostile foreign satellites? NORAD had a network of satellite defense dating back to the peak of the Cold War.

They'll knock it down, possibly even blow it to smithereens before it even reaches the north coast of Alaska, or something...

Originally posted by camaro68ssyour not thinking outside the box. They fire the rocket into orbit. Having it fly south, Over Australia, over Antarctica, then it heads north over south America, mexico and right up through Texas. Detonation happens over Nebraska, lights out.

The Red invasion by the south.... yeah, I heard that, a long time ago. You're lolling... and ok it worked!

...just in the case you weren't, I'm wondering if even the US has got ICBMs able to make such a crazy multi-destination world tour. And wouldn't the missiles end up somewhere down the hole, in Hollow Earth??? This would start a war with the Nazis!

edit on 3/4/13 by Echtelion because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 3 2013 @ 09:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by eriktheawful

Originally posted by ManFromEurope
Afraid of EMPs? Use a surge protector - *bam* your house and its electronic devices are protected.

Of course, the electric grid will fail. No hopes for that one, the power cables leading to your home are simply too long and will get "fed" with too much inductive energy, producing enormous ampere.

I'm hoping your post is in jest.........

If not, have a read:

EMPs

It takes a bit more than a surge protector to protect sensitive electronic equipment from a nuclear EMP.

It is not a jest, of course! Induktion strong enough to destroy your electronics by an EMP needs length of conductive materials, much larger than in your house. If you protect your house with a surge protector and a good, solid electrical grounding, there is nothing to worry.

posted on Apr, 3 2013 @ 09:33 AM
link   
reply to post by DJW001

Provided it is detonated at an altitude of 300 miles. North Korea can't loft a basketball that high.

Suddenly, the Dennis Rodman visit makes more sense....

posted on Apr, 3 2013 @ 09:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Echtelion

you must have missed the news a few months ago. NK has one up there right now! NORAD did not shoot it down. you dont need a ICBM. you just need to get it in orbit and they know how to do it. once in orbit it can travel the world 100 times fold.

here it is in real time

www.n2yo.com...

what do you know, its ALTITUDE is 340 miles up. Not saying its a Nuke, but they know how to get a nuke 340 miles up now.

posted on Apr, 3 2013 @ 09:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by clearmind
ok people, so now we are afraid of n. korea...what ever happened to iran? you remember that country..just a few short weeks a go it was an immentant threat to the u.s. and all of the middle east.....now we are talking about iraq...err, i meant afganistan...no no no...it was libya, thats it ..it was yeman..err i mean n.korea...oh wait...im confused now...who are we suppose to be afraid of now??......oh, now i remember.......'all enemies forgien AND DOMESTIC'.......

the public is being played like a well tuned fiddle ..i wonder what the next country...err...tune will be....

sit back relax..enjoy the next threat that will be played for you

North Korean scientists found trapped in an Iranian nuclear facility after an explosion...
Both countries have small scale nuclear devices...
Both countries have Yono Class mini submarine units capible of carrying small scale nuclear devices undetected underwater...

If anyone is solely focussing on NK at this time they are foolish. These two nations are working together, using identical technology (small scale nuclear devices transported via Yono Class submarines) to accomplish a common goal.

Don't let the right hand distract you from what the left hand is doing. This is a joint opperation, with NK serving as the MASSIVE distraction focussing US detterance to take an air ICBM stance (worried about the skies) while under the sea the real threat slowly makes its way to US port cities, where this exact submarine unit was successful tested by China in 2010 (San Francisco Bay) as being able to remain in US waters for several days undetected.

God Bless,

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join