It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Prediction on the price of Tobacco.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 1 2013 @ 05:26 PM
link   
www.nuc.berkeley.edu...

I've got a feeling that we won't hear about any additional taxes being added to smoking cigarettes, we won't get those graphic warning pictures, and the price of cigarettes will not rise with a probability of lowering.

After introducing myself to this article with regards to the high radioactive soil contamination in 3 key states that play a major role in plants cleaning soil. (california, washington ((oregon opted out even though their radiation levels are very high)) and colorado)

www.japantoday.com...

There are a few plants that can leech out heavy metals and clean soil but in no way or form should they be consumed in any manner.

This is a warning, do not smoke anything.

posted on Apr, 1 2013 @ 05:40 PM
link   
Funny you should mention this topic when I have just been looking at growing my own tobacco. It's about as hard as growing tomatoes and each plant can fill a 3kg coffee tin.

Apart from the rubbish they load into cigarettes that isn't radioactive in the soil, homegrown tobacco is difficult to tax.

posted on Apr, 1 2013 @ 06:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Rob7774

I already ordered 4 varieties last season.....they are essentially weeds, and grow well...

www.thetobaccoseed.com...

Good Luck....

Des

edit on 1-4-2013 by Destinyone because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 1 2013 @ 06:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Knives4eyes

You might be on to something.

You might not.

We need a series of 20 year studies which follow large groups to even begin to consider a connection. I am not aware of any such studies.

We'd need to measure lung cancer incidence in:
- control group of non-smokers
- radio smokers 5/day
- radio smokers 10/day
- radio smokers 15/day
- radio smokers 20/day
- nonrad smokers 5/day
- nonrad smokers 10/day
- nonrad smokers 15/day
- nonrad smokers 20/day

All the smoking groups would have to smoke specially grown tobacco which is carefully maintained and monitored by the science team, with the only variable being whether radioactive fertilisers were used or not. We'd need to account for other lifestyle factors, location, second hand smoke exposure, medical exposure, genetic history.

We'd need more than one of these studies.

Also would we give them filters or not? Could it be something to do with the particulate exposure from the leaves? We'd need another study perfectly mirrored with and without filters.

Eh, we can't really speculate on whether the radioactivity has an effect on lung cancer until we do a study like the above.

posted on Apr, 1 2013 @ 06:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Rob7774

When growing your own, make sure you save 1 or 2 plants for seeds. 1 seed pod amounts to a few hundred seeds. I have problems growing mine as bugs seem to take over a few plants and I don't know how to control them without using any chemicals.

posted on Apr, 1 2013 @ 06:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Majes

What type of bugs? Pictures would help, as well as your general location.
edit on 1-4-2013 by Dispo because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 1 2013 @ 06:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Rob7774

I'm in NC and I smoke for $40 a month...I buy a bag of pre-cut tobacco ($16.00 x 2) , filtered tubes ($3.00 ea-two cartons worth) and you buy a roller...the simplest hand roller is about $8.00. This is what you'll need if you smoke about a pack a day.

Better, fresher cigarettes and the tobacco doesn't have the wood filler or the chemicals that make you want to smoke another cigarette. I only smoke 1/2 the amount I usually do opposed to buying pre-packaged smokes.

posted on Apr, 1 2013 @ 06:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Dispo

I'm assuming aphids, reddish/brownish color. Sorry no pictures. I used a garlic spray on some plants but I wasn't sure if that was going to be a good idea. The bugs were mostly on the stems. I'm situated in Central Ontario, Canada. Zone 5

edit on 1-4-2013 by Majes because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 1 2013 @ 06:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Majes

Try pest paper like fly paper that comes in bigger sections and place it as an obstacle for them with a water source nearby with some organic material in it like plant trimmings or human hair.

With this method you can control them from spreading and eventually they will die out but they come in small hordes.

Notice any webs? Possibly spider mites?
edit on 1-4-2013 by Knives4eyes because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 1 2013 @ 06:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Majes

I'd suggest trying to introduce ladybirds in to your garden. You can take a two pronged approach - try and grow some tulips to attract and keep them, then release 3 or 4 in to the area.

posted on Apr, 1 2013 @ 06:47 PM
link   
Ahhh. That explains my glowing eyes recently.....I thought I was turning into some sort of angel or demon. I feel much better now.

posted on Apr, 1 2013 @ 06:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Destinyone

Thanks for the link. I think I'm going to order some myself. What types did you order and how did they grow?

posted on Apr, 1 2013 @ 06:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Knives4eyes

Thanks for the tips. I will definitely try the obstacle method. I tried yellow water with soap and killed my lady bugs too
So I gave up that idea. And no spider mites in them..
edit on 1-4-2013 by Majes because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 1 2013 @ 06:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Dispo

Thanks for the advise! Our tulips only last until the end of May and they die off. Is there another type of flower that would last throughout the summer months?

posted on Apr, 1 2013 @ 07:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Majes

Anything with a similar shape really.

en.wikipedia.org...
en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Apr, 1 2013 @ 07:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Dispo

Those are wonderful thank you! I happen to have bachelor's buttons in my seed bin. Will try this as well!

posted on Apr, 1 2013 @ 07:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Majes

No probs, I hope it works out.

posted on Apr, 1 2013 @ 07:14 PM
link   
reply to post by rickymouse

I ordered from the Heirloom selection. They have an area growing guide on the site. That tells you which seeds grow best in your area and climate conditions. They also are very quick to reply to any questions via email.

This site is tops in my book for Tobacco Seeds....Do check it out.

Over 96 varieties of tobacco seed starting at $1.99

Approximately 100 Tobacco Seeds per Packet (If you need gram size pkgs let us know)

Detailed tobacco information is listed on each page including uses and growth habit. We do not smoke tobacco and are not qualified to personally recommend types for you.

Information on Heirloom Tobacco Seeds

How to Start Tobacco Seed

Growing Heirloom Tobacco Seed in the Home Garden

Organic Tobacco Production

Heirloom Tobacco Seeds Information On-Line

Crop Profile for Heirloom Tobacco

How to Grow Tobacco
sustainableseedco.com...

Mine grow like weeds. I'm in Ga, hot in the Summer. They like the heat, and zoom right up. I got interested in growing tobacco as part of my survival bartering skills. I keep my varieties of seeds in labeled vacuum packed plastic bags in a seed drawer in one of my fridges.

Good Luck...easy peasy to grow.....

Des

edit on 1-4-2013 by Destinyone because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 1 2013 @ 07:22 PM
link   
I was really hoping for someone to mention fukushima....and that everything is effected.

3.bp.blogspot.com...

edit: but then again, maybe I'm just connecting everything together in my head differently.

posted on Apr, 1 2013 @ 08:03 PM
link   
Try a mild detergent or soap spray, aphids hate that. We didn't grow tobacco because we didn't have a curing shed, but our neighbors used Dawn and water, not as concentrated as you'd do dishes in, and that was it for the aphids.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join