It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can the GOP be Saved?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 1 2013 @ 12:58 PM
link   
reply to post by intrepid

Are you advocating Rand Paul as the saviour of the GOP?

He, along with Ted Cruz, is just the new face on the old problem.

But the GOP will come back eventually because the Democrats will go out of favour. The pendulum always swings both ways.

The only question is. How long will it take?

While the GOP still has senators using racial slurs and CPAC attendees claiming slaves should have been grateful for the food they were given..........It may take a long time.

posted on Apr, 1 2013 @ 01:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by BritofTexas

Are you advocating Rand Paul as the saviour of the GOP?

Nope, don't know enough about him. What he's saying is different than the old school though so I will be paying more attention. Rubio as well.

Coincidentally here's the exit poll from the CPAC:

www.politico.com...

The old guard didn't do so well.

posted on Apr, 1 2013 @ 02:09 PM
link   

The thing is, we don't need a "Paul".

We need a couple of hundred people willing to stand up, be honest with the American people, and do the job.

One or two ain't gonna cut it.

posted on Apr, 1 2013 @ 02:09 PM
link   
I think GOP will have to turn a bit to the left in economic matters and libertarian in social matters. Immigrants tend to be religious so that may be a way to reach out to them.

posted on Apr, 1 2013 @ 02:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Maslo
I think GOP will have to turn a bit to the left in economic matters and libertarian in social matters. Immigrants tend to be religious so that may be a way to reach out to them.

I'd have to disagree. A political party shouldn't become another party just to appease voters.

We should elect men and women who can do the job we elect them to do.

Not pander to demographics!

posted on Apr, 1 2013 @ 02:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by beezzer

The thing is, we don't need a "Paul".

We need a couple of hundred people willing to stand up, be honest with the American people, and do the job.

One or two ain't gonna cut it.

But looking at the exit polls you can see that it IS more than 1 or 2. It's the thinking of the party. It's got to have a catalyst though. At this time my money is on Rubio. It's WAY early though.

posted on Apr, 1 2013 @ 02:19 PM
link   

I've become too cynical to place my hopes on an individual who "sounds" good.

DHS to NDAA to NAFTA to QE to Drones to ACA to . . . pick your poison. There is a hard time coming. Are we going to just get more "talk"? Or real reform and not taxes/draconian laws disguised as reform?

posted on Apr, 1 2013 @ 02:22 PM
link   
The GOP doesn't have an impetus or mandate to reform. All they need do is ride out the short attention span of America. Obama got in because we were sick to death of Bush. The next GOP candidate will be a shoe in because we'll have forgotten all about how sick we were of Bush and will only know that we're sick to death of Obama.

Rinse and repeat every 4-8 years. Neither party has much of a motive to reform anything when they know all that they have to do is sit back and let the other party take the heat for a term or two.

posted on Apr, 1 2013 @ 02:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Hefficide

I don't see it that way Heff. Hillary WILL be the next Dem candidate and by stepping down now she distances herself from the last 4 years of this administration, for better or worse. The GOP has to be ready for her. She's already a viable candidate and a helluva politician.

posted on Apr, 1 2013 @ 02:32 PM
link   
The point is, unless real reform (via a mandate) takes place, there won't be a country worth being President for, next election time.

You won't be able to find a good and decent person willing to take office.

(Caveat; yeah, I know we haven't had a good and decent person in a while. . . )

posted on Apr, 1 2013 @ 03:13 PM
link   

The point is, unless real reform (via a mandate) takes place, there won't be a country worth being President for, next election time.

Shhhh, (don't tell anyone) but it is too late. If everyone finds out, there will be chaos before chaos is supposed to ensue.

We seriously have no way to turn this around without everything hitting rock bottom.

posted on Apr, 1 2013 @ 03:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by butcherguy

Shhhh, (don't tell anyone) but it is too late. If everyone finds out, there will be chaos before chaos is supposed to ensue.

We seriously have no way to turn this around without everything hitting rock bottom.

The country is not experiencing any more problems than it has at any other given time in our history. Probably less so given some of the stunts the government has pulled in the past. Imagine if Lincoln was doing today what he did back in the day, there would be pandemonium in the streets.

How about locking up the Japanese in internment camps or people being arrested and locked up simply because they were accused of being a communist.

What actually is happening today that even compares to that? The threat that something may possibly happen because of some legislation that was passed?

What if's don't measure up to what has occurred previously.

posted on Apr, 1 2013 @ 03:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Hopechest

The country is not experiencing any more problems than it has at any other given time in our history.

You are not considering the ratio of the national debt to the GDP.

Because that is far worse than it has ever been. How will that turn around? If you look at the staggering numbers, you will realize that it can't.

It is the biggest problem facing us today. It will not go away by ignoring it, and it has reached the point(in my opinion) where it is impossible to actually fix it.

edit on 1-4-2013 by butcherguy because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 1 2013 @ 03:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by butcherguy

The country is not experiencing any more problems than it has at any other given time in our history.

You are not considering the ratio of the national debt to the GDP.

Because that is far worse than it has ever been. How will that turn around? If you look at the staggering numbers, you will realize that it can't.

Simply another problem. Not one that can't be worked out.

Don't forget, we suffered and survived the Great Depression so it is something we can do again. Just for kicks you should google some old articles about how the country was ending because of the Depression. People were saying it was the end of America and that communism was going to sweep in.

Then you have other people writing about how it was all government orchestrated for this reason or that and how it was the NWO positioning itself for global domination.

The conspiracies put out today are not new. They have been rehashed for generations and applied to whatever current crisis is going on in the world.

posted on Apr, 1 2013 @ 03:30 PM
link   

Not one that can't be worked out.

Show me.

How?
During the Great Depression:

This is really the start of the very familiar political arguments about the role of government spending and economic growth. The chart above shows the relationship between debt and growth. As the size, scope and role of government changed drastically under Franklin D. Roosevelt and his New Deal, the US posted its biggest-ever peacetime debt increase. The debt jumped by 150% from 1930 to 1939, when it was at around $40.44 billion (about $673 billion in today's money.) At the same time, the economy--the bottom of the formula--collapsed, as did government revenues, which suffered from lower economic activity. The result? A new debt-to-GDP record of 44% in 1934. And this was all before Pearl Harbor.

At the end of 2011 (it has gotten worse, not better... since 2011):

Because on top of the roughly $11.4 trillion in US government debt, which can be bought and sold and is floating around in financial markets, there's also nearly $5 trillion in debt that the US government owes to itself. Those are largely obligations to the trust funds that are used to pay for programs such as Social Security. These aren't counted in debt-to-GDP charts published here, and are often excluded from such calculations. But if you did include this debt--and there's an argument to be made that we should, since the government is on the hook to pay these claims--the US debt-to-GDP ratio was just under 100% at the end of 2011.

Source: The Atlantic

The ratio increased in the 1930's because we spent our way out of the Depression. Now we are spending more and more, no matter what the economy is doing.
edit on 1-4-2013 by butcherguy because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 1 2013 @ 03:42 PM
link   
they got their butts handed to them by women and minorities

will women and monorites see through the efforts of the GOP to basically say "hey we love you too!"

I think so

the GOP has been labeled a party of "rich white men who want to lower their taxes and pass it onto you"

I'm not saying it's true

I'm saying that's the label they have to fight

so far they are doing a lousy job of it

posted on Apr, 1 2013 @ 04:44 PM
link   
I'm a registered Republucan but I am sick and tired of what's offered from the GOP and in my eyes that means those who aren't as cozy with the party must really be weary of them. Now, I see both parties as basically corporate sell outs, and the Dems are no better, but considering this thread is about the right side of the aisle...

I don't trust the "young guns" and their rhetoric and place no faith in them being the catalyst for a meaningful reform of the Grand Old Party. Take Marco Rubio, talks a good game. But he has been embroiled in multiple wide-ranging state and federal investigations conducted by the FBI and the Florida Department of Law Enforcement into improper use of credit cards issued by the Republican Party of Florida, as well as tax evasion and improper budgetary appropriations.

"One such set of appropriations/legislative actions reportedly being investigated by federal authorities are those which led to the development of the state’s largest private prison, the Blackwater River Correctional Facility (CF), which opened its gates for operation in November. The prison was designed and is operated by Florida-based Geo Group, the nation’s second largest private prison operator... And indeed Geo is a top Florida Republican Party contributor; through two political action committees (PACs), Florida Geo Group, Inc. PAC and Geo Group, Inc. PAC, the corporation gave $85,000 to the Republican Party of Florida from 2006 through 2009, along with tens of thousands of dollars in additional contributions to other state Republican Party PACs and campaigns of individual Republican candidates."

Not talked about much in the "liberal" media. But he's the same old slick politician with corporate ties, sucking from the teat while sticking it to the little guy for living off the government dole, just with a fresh young face.

I was a Ron Paul supporter in 08 and 12, not because I agreed with everything he said, but because he was honest and truly sounded the horn to the dangers we face while never delving into partisan bickering. It was refreshing. Having said that, I do not trust Rand Paul. He says and does a lot of things I agree with, but that seems to make me even more suspicious of him.

I guess from my perspective if the GOP can be saved, it won't happen with anyone who is already in the party. I put my trust in the people, despite the uneducated and ignorant out there, believe that change won't come from Washington. That's their gravy train. It's us who need to force them to represent us once again, not more powerful interests who believe democracy is dangerous and we are not to be trusted.

I remain optimistic despite what I see.
edit on 1-4-2013 by PatriotGames2 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 1 2013 @ 06:18 PM
link   
I don't think that the GOP should be "saved", they should represent what they do now and so should the democRATic party.

What we probably need is for people to pay more attention to the parties that aren't one of the big two.

And vote for the person and what they stand for not for which letter they have after their name (R - D)

posted on Apr, 1 2013 @ 07:41 PM
link   
Well, I don't think it has to try very hard to be saved, or do anything at all, I am a liberal but the current liberal policies are going to sink their ship so hard that it won't come back for at least 15 years.

Examples:
Economic policies that expect to tax the rich, but also systematically destroy the rich ??

This will result in the poor, who have become used to being supported, getting SCREWED, which I do not support.

Look what is currently happening in Europe, and how nasty those liberals are to those in Greece!! Do you expect to be treated better once you are of no use or a burden on a system without resources?

Heavy focus on restricting freedoms

In the end, it is a trap! The liberals are weakening people and getting them used to social programs and taking away their support systems, like family, friends, churches, so they are defenseless.

I agree with freedoms for gays to marry, legalizing, supporting the poor - but the biggest one, supporting the poor? That is where the liberals are going to FAIL. As well as in free speech issues and a few other things.

All the conservatives have to do is sit back and wait for Obama's plans to finish destroying the Democrats... I just hope they don't use this to promote their shady social policies.
edit on 1-4-2013 by darkbake because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 1 2013 @ 07:46 PM
link   
The only thing the GOP, in my opinion, needs to do is get rid of the trickle down economics and the bending to the will of big corporations. Start making legislation that promotes jobs, families (that you so want women to bear), and drop the nation building crap and protect the United States.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join