It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The World’s Quietest Room

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 09:37 AM
link   

Scientists at Minneapolis’ Orfield Labs created their own soundless room, an anechoic chamber. Their studies have found that when putting subjects within the chamber, they begin to hallucinate within 30 minutes.
With an average quiet room having a sound level of 30 decibels, the anechoic chamber’s sound level is -9 decibels. The ceiling, floor, and walls of the chamber absorb sound rather than have it bounce off as normal objects do. The chamber is so quiet that the subjects can even hear their own organs functioning.
Although extremely interesting, the experience is rather unpleasant. Not one subject has spent more than 45 minutes in the chamber alone. Leaving a person to only their thoughts, the chamber could drive them insane.

Source

I cant stand silance!
edit on 27-3-2013 by Hithe Merinos because: fixed vid link

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 09:50 AM
link   
Wow, I've heard of this before & I'd love to try it!
One person claimed he could hear his organs working in his body, as weird as that may sound, I want to experience that!

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 09:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Hithe Merinos

Is this room available to rent? I could use it for a nap that is uninterrupted by the phone, television, knocking at the front door, the hubby, the kids, the grandkid, the dogs and cats, the rest of the friends and family, train whistles, car horns, sirens, etc.... It would be nice to get some uninterrupted sleep for once- even if only for an hour or two!

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 09:55 AM
link   
Yeah it can drive people crazy i heard of engineers not be able to spend more than 15 minutes in because the sound of there heart beat is too loud and give them panic attacks. Saying that I would love to see how long a meditating monk could spend in there!

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 10:25 AM
link   

I'd like the specs for this thing. I don't like noise. This room sounds like pure heaven to me.

I wonder if this is like being deaf.
edit on 3/27/13 by 123143 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 10:27 AM
link   
reply to post by 123143

I like it quiet too, I wonder how I'd fare in such a place... to be allowed to daydream as long as you wished, or quietly meditate. Or would it drive us up a wall too? O.o would love to try.

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 10:46 AM
link   
This room would be a nightmare for people with tinnitus.

I know the infernal ringing in my ears would probably be deafening in that room

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 10:51 AM
link   
reply to post by littled16

You took they words right our of my mouth!!
I only need 25 minutes though, if 30 would do that.
Ultimate silence would be heaven, if only for a few minutes. I think my house runs about 90 decibels if 30 is normal.

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 10:53 AM
link   
reply to post by woodsmom

Maybe we can share the room and get a 2 for 1 deal!
I would gladly share my silent nap- it's a big room. I know you could use it as bad as me!

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 11:09 AM
link   
reply to post by eXia7

Can you hear it...? The Sound of Drums?
No I'm just messin', but yeah tinnitus sucks. I can't sit in a car that's shut off. It drives me insane. Though I would definntely give the room a go

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 11:20 AM
link   
reply to post by 123143

The sound level in the room, which actually has the Guinness World Record, is -9 decibels, compared to the average “quiet” room’s 30 decibels. The double-insulated walls are made of steel and foot-thick concrete. Along the walls are also 3.3-foot thick fiberglass acoustic wedges that contribute to the ultra-quietness.

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 11:36 AM
link   
I am so glad I watch the video and read the relies to this post.
At first I thought some one had been listening at my bedroom door again.

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 11:48 AM
link   
My tinnitus would drive me insane in no time at all in that setting.

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 01:34 PM
link   
I think I would try it but I am not sure for how long! It might really freak you out you know? Like being in a Cave with absolute darkness it can be unnerving...

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 01:35 PM
link   
I heard about this almost a year ago. I've been doing research because it is on my bucket list to want to go in there.

I have no doubts in my mind that I would be able to last longer than 30-45 minutes. It is simply mind of matter. There certainly isn't anything to be afraid of, and at best it would be an annoyance due to the sound of bodily processes.

Just an hour would be great for meditation. Free from the fans, the running refrigerators, the rogue radio and cell phone waves, the ticking of clocks in other rooms. I have pristine hearing and sometimes it drives me near crazy with all the annoying sounds and pitches around me with the machines of daily life. I'd just want to get away from it all if only for a little while.

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 02:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hithe Merinos
reply to post by 123143

The sound level in the room, which actually has the Guinness World Record, is -9 decibels, compared to the average “quiet” room’s 30 decibels. The double-insulated walls are made of steel and foot-thick concrete. Along the walls are also 3.3-foot thick fiberglass acoustic wedges that contribute to the ultra-quietness.

Wonder what it would cost to build.

posted on Mar, 28 2013 @ 09:30 AM
link   
reply to post by eXia7

Yeah the ringing in your ears for me atleast did get louder, but then soon faded away into nothing.. There was no sound, except my heart beat and breathing...

I worked in a lab that had a small anechoic chamber, to test failed speakers in...

You could stick your head into the room, and almost fell dizzy right away. There was zero sound inside

The main building that manufactured the speakers had a theater room you could go sit in that had handrails. For when there was no movie/audio playing you would get disoriented and start to tip over. Was funny to watch people who never entered a room like that...

I have been inside a bigger anechoic chamber that had a similar set up to the test speaker anechoic chamber, and yeah you could hear all kinds of weird noises in your body… I would not suggest staying in the room for too long, the biggest problem I noticed with most people in rooms like that they would get sick to their stomachs, and tend to throw up… Almost like “sea sickness” but in reverse.

edit on 28-3-2013 by Arrancar because: work correction

posted on Mar, 28 2013 @ 10:36 AM
link   

Kim Un Fan Club?

Obama Appreciation Society?

new topics

top topics

join