It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Who are the greatest living thinkers?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 28 2013 @ 10:41 PM
link   
Modern Day, these 2 would be amongst them:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Mar, 28 2013 @ 10:59 PM
link   
Well.. Philosophy wise, I have to say that Jason Silva probably takes the cake.

Thinkers... Definitely Neil DeGrasse Tyson. I have this bit on my phone just to show people randomly. Weird, I know.

Michio Kaku as well!

Masaru Emoto is a phenomenal thinker in my book also.

posted on Mar, 28 2013 @ 11:08 PM
link   
All of the people listed so far are just rehashing old philosophies. Even Hawking is just pushing materialism. The thread is an interesting premise. Someone to consider even though I dont personally like some of their ideas is Ray Kurzweil. Transhumanism is at least a modern idea even if you consider occult philosophy to be similar.
edit on 28-3-2013 by NihilistSanta because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 28 2013 @ 11:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Mizzijr

Interesting that you posted that. I have shared the same Neil de Grasse Tyson video many times as well. Had it posted to my fb when I had one. It's a beautiful video that tells such a wonderous story, just love it. It's the kind of thing that needs to be shared.

posted on Mar, 28 2013 @ 11:31 PM
link   
had to post this, i find it very profound. it goes beyond philosophy or great thinking.

remember this life

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 01:03 AM
link   
Neil Degrasse Tyson is an American astrophysicist and science communicator. He is currently the Frederick P. Rose Director of the Hayden Planetarium at the Rose Center for Earth and Space and a research associate in the department of astrophysics at the American Museum of Natural History. When I see him on The Daily Show he always impresses the heck out of me.

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 02:41 AM
link   
We will never know who our generation's greatest thinkers are because they have all been recruited to the world order. The smartest, most talented and best looking of our generation sign their soul away to achieve what they want. And anyone else that refuses is simply hidden or denied recognition. Being wealthy or successful in today's society is an act of literally selling your soul to Satan.
edit on 29-3-2013 by Theimp because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 04:01 AM
link   
john marco allegro amongst some

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 04:07 AM
link   
Phage

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 06:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Toromos

When I saw this thread my first thought was the guy in your avatar.

Good old Noam Chomsky.

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 10:15 AM
link   
reply to post by lucidclouds

Chomsky is an intelligent fellow but again he isn't pushing anything new. These are sad times indeed when society is trapped in a mindset where no one can envision anything greater. All of our mental power is going towards technology at speeds so fast our society hasn't had time to process the ramifications.

I wonder if this is tied to the way society has formed around making money. People are not long term thinkers anymore it has come down to immediate gratification. Couple that with the fact that people are either extremely busy or distracted with entertainment and pop culture and we start to see why fewer original ideas are forthcoming. .

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 11:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by rickymouse
I can't think of any off hand.

Either can I

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 11:26 AM
link   
Reply to post by woodwardjnr

Barack Obama, remember change, change, change and change he did to usa, now who can do such a change to Superpower Us? Only a thinker! Now let the music roll.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 12:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Theprimevoyager

Originally posted by rickymouse
I can't think of any off hand.

Either can I

Nice to know you have a hand.

Something for you to think about.

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 12:46 PM
link   
ATS used to have some great thinkers that posted and started threads of amazing quality and interest!!

They've all been banned!!!

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 12:48 PM
link   
Nick Bostrom is another transhumanist but he is the one who proposed simulation theory.

David Chalmers has some interesting ideas on mind and language to counter a lot of the reductionist materialist out there.

Saul Kripke might be one as well.

Again not a lot of new ideas but these are some of the more interesting characters to me. I notice also a lot of modern "philosophers" are linguist.

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 01:51 PM
link   
It's been said that there's a philosopher born into every one of us... mainly because philosophy doesn't have any real boundaries. One can philosophize the meaning of mold on an old coffee cup and somewhere, you will find a following.

But... one of the best examples comes in as a quote (from someone who would have argued against being such with his last breath), lol.

"All are lunatics, but he who can analyze his delusion is called a philosopher."
- Ambrose Bierce

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 01:58 PM
link   
.....well

There's me....and....uh....

.....um......

I'll have to get back to you on this.

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 02:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Toromos

txs for that, I had a prodcutive 5 minutes in an otherwise awful day

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 03:09 PM
link   
Unfortunately reputation is improved by death so no living person ever invokes the sentiment of those long gone.

Isiah Berlin (Dead) but a relatively recent luminary in the field of Philosophy.
If you've ever wondered why you are unhappy yet have easy access to food, water and shelter you need to read 2 concepts of liberty en.wikipedia.org...

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join