It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Senators close in on immigration deal!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 22 2013 @ 08:22 PM
link   
Oh? This is interesting. Funny how I'm sure not hearing the talk about it now which we all heard before. I guess they intend to basically get a Presidential term's worth of issues done in the first 6 months or something.

WASHINGTON (AP) — A last-minute dispute over wages for lower-skilled workers flared Friday as senators scrambled to sketch out a deal on a sweeping immigration bill before Congress takes a two-week recess.

The public clash between the U.S. Chamber of Commerce and the AFL-CIO underscored the high stakes involved in legislation that would dramatically reshape the U.S. immigration and employment landscape, putting 11 million illegal immigrants on a path to citizenship while allowing tens of thousands of new high- and low-skilled workers into the country.

The eight senators in the negotiating group, including Sens. Chuck Schumer, D-N.Y., and John McCain, R-Ariz., were aiming to finalize as many details as possible before leaving town so that the recess could be devoted to drafting the legislation, which would then be made public when the lawmakers return in April.
Source

Well, "our friend" McCain is in the middle of it. What a shocker. He was the architect of the last push that had polls running around 80% against. They just won't stop pushing agendas. Year after year, decade after decade. However long it takes to finally get people to pass it for merit or just to shut them up about it. Although this seems a bit low profile so far. I wonder how it will go after the recess, as the story notes we'll see something to read then?

I want to clarify that I am not against the illegals as people. I don't even think their having entered illegally, if that is all they've done, should be held against them from applying for re-entry under Visas ...FROM their HOME COUNTRIES. That's as far as my amnesty feelings have ever gone. Don't hold it against them in the background check at the foreign located Embassy they apply at. That sounds fair.

-----

However, all arguments of right or wrong of their crossing or staying knowingly as visas expired aside. There is another issue this cannot address. It can't even BEGIN to address and NOTHING CAN until they seal that damn border.

The Employers who attract these people in the first place...those who bring them in or just seem to be there to accept them into work at the meat plants and produce sheds won't simply give everyone some giant raise as they get their "path to citizenship".

The employers have been breaking the law, likely, their whole time in business. That won't stop and nor will the NEW illegals to replace these ones. The NEW LEGAL converts by Government grant will just get downsized, laid off or otherwise put out ....so the next crop of true low wage they've always employed anyway, can replace them.

Security at the border MUST come FIRST. Otherwise, the above scenario isn't just theory or possible. It's happened. After the amnesty under Reagan where he agreed to the 'reforms' first with promise of security to come ...which never did. Look where we are now. It didn't solve ANYTHING and we're doing the very same thing again with a border in even worse shape.

^^^ Those signs aren't urban legend or fake. I personally SAW them and the larger metal state produced green versions as well. South of Phoenix and out along I-8. Signs like that ALL need to come down before we do ANYTHING to encourage more to cross. Not for political correctness but because they are no longer needed.

That's my rather strong view on the topic. I'll sure be waiting to see the details of this when they get back and give the public something to see.

posted on Mar, 23 2013 @ 10:30 PM
link   
Amnesty in the past brought millions more illegals into the country. To have any form of amnesty while citizens are jobless, struggling and suffering is absurd. They were supposed to secure the border before the last amnesty and they didn't.

From what I have been reading, illegals will not have to leave the country to wait for their citizenship. They will pay taxes and a fine and get to keep their jobs and stay here. This is unfair to those coming here through the proper channels and are still waiting to come here. It is a slap in the face to every immigrant coming here with great respect by following our laws to get here and be legal.

It has been pretty clear that most Americans do not want another amnesty. It has been quite clear that we have laws and shouldn't be able to pick and choose which ones we want to follow.
edit on 23-3-2013 by Night Star because: (no reason given)

join