It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Has Atlanta become mono-racial? Honest question based on observation.

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 18 2013 @ 11:43 AM
link   
A few days ago I spent several hours in the Atlanta airport. Airports are normally a reflection of their community or most at least aspire to be. I walked through a couple of terminals for a plane change and sat next to a window over the spot where the baggage carts came in and out.

After a short while I started to notice something. I did not see a single Asian or Hispanic working in the airport and only a tiny handful of melanin challenged people. I thought, this has to be my imagination in this day of intentional hiring diversity. So I actually began to try and count the workers I saw, all kinds, terminal agents/baggage drivers/food servers/sanitation etc. I counted zero Asian or Hispanics, I had time to kill and went on a hunt to try and find at least one of each working at the airport and could not find a single one of either. I did find 5 melanin challenged people working among the hundreds of workers I observed. I was shocked at my observation and was in disbelief that in this day and age that racial discrimination existed to this degree.

So my question, does this reflect the population demographic as most employers strive for? As such, is Atlanta now a mono-racial city?

Is the city even aware of the image it is projecting of being mono-racial and not accepting of other racial groups?

posted on Mar, 18 2013 @ 12:02 PM
link   
Maybe they set racism aside and hired only qualified applicants?

posted on Mar, 18 2013 @ 12:03 PM
link   
reply to post by grandmakdw

Sorry, didn't realize this was more about racism. I've stricken my own comment.

edit on 18-3-2013 by SinMaker because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 18 2013 @ 12:05 PM
link   
reply to post by DarthMuerte

Maybe, but if an airport only hired melanin challenged people and only 1% melanin rich people, their would be an outcry that would start a riot.

What I am saying is the image that the city is projecting is one of mono-racial racism, and of being hostile to people who are not melanin rich.

posted on Mar, 18 2013 @ 12:06 PM
link   
reply to post by SinMaker

This is nice to hear.

But, please, next time you are in the airport, please look around and notice the message that is being projected to the world as they pass through Atlanta.

posted on Mar, 18 2013 @ 12:12 PM
link   
This is a perfect example of why I hate political correctness. When you said "melanin challenged" I thought you meant "blacks" or "african Americans". Since they are usually perceived as the "challenged" or "victims". EEOC is legalized racism. It explains what you saw with no mental gymnastics required.

posted on Mar, 18 2013 @ 12:16 PM
link   

I use the term melanin challenged because I personally find the term "white" offensive and racist. White people are varied in color from pink/peach to toffee/latte. And yes the pale among us have little melanin and can not be in the sun long and therefore are challenged.

However, that is a digression from the fact that the airport projects an image of Atlanta as mono-racial and unaccepting of other races, you note I saw zero asian or hispanic workers or even persian. The image Atlanta is giving the world is that only the melanin enriched are welcome.

posted on Mar, 18 2013 @ 12:18 PM
link   
"Melanin challenged"? What the hell is this? Sounds racist to me.

posted on Mar, 18 2013 @ 12:19 PM
link   
what a strange thread

Did it "scare" you by what you saw? Obviously it's a topic very near and dear to yourself if you've dedicated so much time and effort discussing it.

posted on Mar, 18 2013 @ 12:22 PM
link   
This may explain the uneven ratio of races at the Atlanta Airport:

For those of you who are familiar with Atlanta and its politics - the Atlanta airport is the "crown jewel" of achievement for the Black political class. The great - mayor Maynard Jackson is remembered for his Affirmative Action contracting program that was implemented when the 'mid-field terminal complex' - the terminal system that is in use today - was constructed during his first two terms in office. This is used as the key example of how the ascension of Black Progressives into political office has translated into material benefit for Black owned companies and Black workers there in.

withintheblackcommunity.blogspot.com...

In a nutshell: They are racist in their hiring practices, and apparently have been since the airport was constructed. I know it isn't politically correct, but the proof is in the pudding and not in the PC rhetoric. What you saw is what it is.

posted on Mar, 18 2013 @ 12:24 PM
link   

Unions and their "useful idiots" have caused this atrocity called affirmative action.

Both had their place at one time, but now they have become a force unto themselves.

And stop the PC crap. It's Caucasian.

I see it here too where I live in certain sectors of employment. Particularly the government jobs.

Perception is reality.

edit on 18-3-2013 by TDawgRex because: maybe I need a nap

posted on Mar, 18 2013 @ 12:27 PM
link   
reply to post by TXRabbit

Melanin is the chemical in the body that produces skin color. It is how we define "race", by the level of melanin one has in their skin and the shade it produces.

No I wasn't scared, it was just an observation that shocked me. All the workers I encountered were nice people, courteous and appeared to do their job well. It was not scarey at all, why should I be scared by the level of melanin has person has in their skin.

What I am saying is that if the reverse were true of what I observed there would be a huge outcry. However, because of political correctness it is not "nice" to say the truth. The image that is given to the world is that Atlanta is only for the melanin enriched. If you do not have a level of melanin over 50% then you probably won't be able to get a job there.

posted on Mar, 18 2013 @ 12:27 PM
link   
I think this Thread is Ethically Disoriented (Dishonest), and I find your Melanin Rich (Blacks) and Melanin Challenged (Whites) wording to be Overloaded Fecal Matter (Full of Sh.t).

Stop being an Owner Operator. (Wanker)

edit on 18-3-2013 by NeverMind2013 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 18 2013 @ 12:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by grandmakdw

I use the term melanin challenged because I personally find the term "white" offensive and racist. White people are varied in color from pink/peach to toffee/latte. And yes the pale among us have little melanin and can not be in the sun long and therefore are challenged.

However, that is a digression from the fact that the airport projects an image of Atlanta as mono-racial and unaccepting of other races, you note I saw zero asian or hispanic workers or even persian. The image Atlanta is giving the world is that only the melanin enriched are welcome.

no it doesn't..it only means the airport hired more people that were black. people in other parts of the world that travel, wouldn't be ignorant or naive enough to form that opinion

posted on Mar, 18 2013 @ 12:32 PM
link   
Its Atlanta, I've lived there alot. There are plenty of hispanic people but the majority are not legal citizens, and thats being honest. There are not a ton of asian people in ATL, most asian people I met were in school or owned businesses. Atlanta is predominantly black so thats the majority of who works at the airport.

There are lots of white people who work at the airport but any race other than black (in Atlanta) would have a hard time claiming they were being discriminated against by not being hired on the basis of diversity. Not saying thats fair but thats how it is. Its a HUGE airport with lots and lots of employees. They take who is best qualified I think, nothing to do with hiring based on race.

Most of the employees are black because most of the people who live in Atlanta are black.

posted on Mar, 18 2013 @ 12:32 PM
link   
reply to post by TDawgRex

Not all people defined as Caucasian are Caucasoid (11th century Georgian chronicler, the word Caucasian is derived from Vainakh ancestor Kavkas.[4] "The Vainakhs are the ancient natives of the Caucasus). The only real definition that is NOT PC is the level of melanin one has in their system. That is the only truly "fair" way and accurate way of defining race.

All that aside:

Atlanta is presenting an image to the world of being a place where the lighter skinned can not get a job.

posted on Mar, 18 2013 @ 12:33 PM
link   

You are obviously scared. You are trying to skirt the issue of your own post by using PC language. You are afraid of being branded a racist. I don't really think you are, but you have kicked a ants nest nonetheless.

Hell, it's the interwebs. Be who you are.

posted on Mar, 18 2013 @ 12:34 PM
link   
reply to post by jimmyx

Are airports the first thing a traveler sees of a town and frequently the only thing they see of the town.

Image is perception and perception is reality to many.

Yes, it does give the perception and image of being a place where the melanin challenged need not apply.

posted on Mar, 18 2013 @ 12:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by grandmakdw

Atlanta is presenting an image to the world of being a place where the lighter skinned can not get a job.

That's crap. I know all sorts of people who have moved to Atlanta and have found jobs. They were white, black, yellow and tan. But most want to leave as they see Atlanta going the way of Detroit.

Jobs are out there. As long as you stay away from the unions and are good with your money. Peole working the flight line often are medically unfit by the time they are fifty. It's a rough job, that just happens to pay well...because of the unions. To be truthful, I'm actually ok with that.

posted on Mar, 18 2013 @ 12:40 PM
link   

You are so wrong about me being scared. I grew up in the military and spent over 50 years living in the military environment. From the time I can remember, neighbors, school mates, friends, the other side of the wall neighbors etc have been of every race. I was just shocked at the blatant racism I saw when walking through the airport.

Why are people denying that it does create an image of "other races" need not apply. Why can't people see that this is racism and really heinous racism that gives the impression of not wanting people of other races there except as tourists.

As I said, I felt very safe there and the people I encountered were very nice.

I was simply shocked at the obvious lack of diversity and then it led me to think of the image it is creating for the city.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join