It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Late 80's 90's Indie rock.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 19 2013 @ 01:06 AM
link   
Not Madchester bands but certainly comtemporaries;

Ladies and Gentlemen, I give you Sheriff Fatman

Not rock but great anyway - excellent live.
This performance was on Jools Holland back in 2001.

The Neds were a great band - never got to see them live despite them having a reputation as one of the best live bands around at the time.

R.I.P. Wiz

posted on Mar, 19 2013 @ 06:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Freeborn

Fantastic Stereo MCs -some of the best dance music around at the time and much under rated.

Loving the Manchester Monkey Boy dance style - much like Bez from the Mondays.

posted on Mar, 19 2013 @ 08:01 AM
link   
reply to post by ironorchid

Stereo MC's were definately a great band and much underrated.
Saw them live in Leeds back in '92 I think it was - they were really good.

If you're a fan of Rob B and Bez's dancing here's a clip of one The Stone Roses in their early days when Cressa was a fixture with them singing an all time classic.

Three brilliant musicians, (Reni is possibly one of the best drummers I've ever seen), and an almighty presence up front.
I don't think it's a stretch to say they are up there with the greatest.
edit on 19/3/13 by Freeborn because: Spelling, grammar, clarity etc

posted on Mar, 19 2013 @ 03:20 PM
link   

Maybe the kids will surprise us and rebel against the prevailing mediocracy. I remember my dad moaning at TOTP the way I do modern pop music. I'm not holding my breath. Popular culture nowadays doesn't allow room for sub cultures to grow. As soon as something is seen as the new thing. Popular culture is all over it putting its commercial spin on things.
Maybe the changing financial circumstances will provide the angst needed to motivate the kids to come up with something new.

posted on Mar, 19 2013 @ 03:44 PM
link   

Awesome additions to the thread

I still have that otherworldly feeling when I hear this music, years later it just takes me back to that moment in time. The clean guitar and haunting voices are so pure, it is such a shame these bands are not acknowledged more.

I love stereo MCs and Ned's, I remember hearing grey cell green for the first time, and whenever I'd hear "desire" it would just give me the chills, still does!

Thanks for putting them into this collection!

posted on Mar, 19 2013 @ 04:00 PM
link   
reply to post by woodwardjnr

I agree completely about once the record labels get involved and see a scene that is poppin they come to exploit it. Happened then, happens now sadly. I think the trick is to find great bands before this occurs.

And the newer stuff is always in some ways different from the older stuff, but they ofen fall back on the older bands for inspiration, so in a way the newer stuff is really an continuation and a building on the older genres.

This is okay with me for the most part, although I admit when my husband first played Interpol for me, I bitched and moaned about them being a Joy Division rip off band. I've since taken that back, but I still will passionately argue to my last breath when anyone tells me that Interpol are better!

Economic crisis has often been the catalyst for new growth in music, so I too am curious how our current situation will be reflected by musicians. I have noticed a mini revival in rave and techno occurring. It was never really gone, but it seems to be going more mainstream lately, much like in the late 90's. I have also seen the metal/hardcore genre come back in the early 2000's but it is now over saturated IMO. Yep, the suits got ahold of it, I fear!

But I don't think madchester can ever be duplicated again, it was a unique moment in time and it has stood the test of time and will continue to do so. My 14 year old can sing every word to vapor trail and has the stone roses on her playlist

posted on Mar, 19 2013 @ 04:29 PM
link   
Presidents of the usa!

posted on Mar, 19 2013 @ 05:11 PM
link   
Noticed this thread is still going and thought of this from 1994 I think.
These Animal Men-Speedking.

These Animal Men-Sound Of Youth.

edit on 19/3/2013 by glen200376 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 20 2013 @ 06:26 AM
link   

Economic crisis has often been the catalyst for new growth in music, so I too am curious how our current situation will be reflected by musicians. I have noticed a mini revival in rave and techno occurring. It was never really gone, but it seems to be going more mainstream lately, much like in the late 90's. I have also seen the metal/hardcore genre come back in the early 2000's but it is now over saturated IMO. Yep, the suits got ahold of it, I fear!
reply to post by Mijamija

Everyone loves a bit of nostalgia and everyone likes to think it was better in "their day". The current trend in dance music seems to be a movement back to the early 90s sound. But it will never be the same,as its the marriage of social and economic situations and a certain chemical that really created something unique. It's like you can't be spontaneous by trying to be spontaneous

posted on Mar, 20 2013 @ 06:44 AM
link   

i used to like carter when i was a teenager, 101 damnations time and all that and then kinda forgot them as other tings took over....long story short, my GF is a fan and we saw them in brixton before xmas and they were bloody awesome!

ETA: Ned's supported too - never liked them that much tho, saw them a few times about 1990 too but didnt dig them too much then either, they had far better t-shirts than songs imo

edit on 20-3-2013 by skalla because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 20 2013 @ 07:09 AM
link   
reply to post by boymonkey74

as "skalla73" many of these formed the soundtrack to my teenaged pursuit of girls in stripey tights and para-boots

cant believe this one hasnt been included yet though..

bloody classic

here are a few more of my faves from then..
My Bloody Valentine

Mudhoney, any Sub-Pop too really

Loop - hugely under-rated

anyone remember "snubTV" on beeb2?

posted on Mar, 21 2013 @ 10:53 PM
link   
reply to post by woodwardjnr

It's like you can't be spontaneous by trying to be spontaneous

I agree with that statement so very much

It's like asking lighting to strike in the same place twice, and it was the organic nature of it that made me love it.

posted on Mar, 22 2013 @ 05:40 PM
link   
ahhhhhh *sigh's with a glaze in my eye's*....the music scene in Manchester from the mid 80's - early 90's is some of the best memories I will possess!. I have a great love for a lot of the music that was influential in both the pre Madchester and the Madchester era, in particular New Order and The Smiths.
I'm not about to name "drop" but I had a cousin who worked in the music industry during that period and as a result I got to meet some of the bands and people connected to the scene and it's an experience I will NEVER forget!

The Manchester music scene during that era wasn't just about music...it was just as important culturally as it was musically.Those who were around Manchester at that time knew it and it felt special and exciting. It was all so "non- London" and it felt like almost like a "movement" rather than just a music scene, which gave Manchester it's own voice...and of course it's own "baggy" fashion
..it felt like eye's of the world were on Manchester. I happened to be in the right place, at the right age, at the right time. I feel very privileged....After the Madchester era it's legacy lived on...while inner city area's have continued to decline the city centre has "boomed".

One of the greatest musical influences on the Madchester scene...The Smith's, absolute pure genius both musically and lyrically. ..

The Smiths-There is a Light that Never Goes Out.

The Smiths- Asleep

Another greatly influential band on the Madchester scene....New Order.

New Order- Bizarre Love Triangle

From the album " Substance"....which I feel is arguably one of the best album's of the 80's!

New Order- Temptation

Another influential band on the scene....James!

James- Chain Mail

From the " One Man Clapping" album. I love the story behind that album. It was a self funded album and they approached the bank manager at the Royal Bank of Scotland for the money to fund it....but he turned their loan request down. Afterwards the bank manager saw the band performing live at a gig and changed his mind and loaned them £12 000 of the bank's money to fund the live album....it went on to reach number one on the Indie chart's in the early part of 1989.

posted on Mar, 22 2013 @ 05:43 PM
link   
Some top class tune's have been posted by other's!

A couple more fave's of my own....

Happy Mondays- Step On

Inspiral Carpets- This is How it Feel's

808 State- Pacific State

And I can't resist posting this live performance of " I wanna Be Adored" by Stone Roses at the Hacienda in 89....I was there! What a place.....and what memories! Who can deny the Hacienda's important role in the Manchester music scene?!

<< 1   >>

join