It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is Cancer? What causes it? Is it curable?

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 14 2013 @ 08:45 PM
link   
reply to post by tetra50

Your link in this post is broken.

You are also using the "QUOTE" button for external text, which is a no-no for proper formatting. When linking outside text use the EX-TEXT button, it works the same exact way, but provides different colors. It is the second button to the left of the "QUOTE" button. Use proper tags, please.

Your research is sound, and you may have a point, but I'm not convinced. There would be more reports of cancer patients being diagnosed with parasitic infections, and removing the parasite would cure their cancer.

I do see your point of parasites causing damage to organs, but I've watched enough "House" to know that the medical field tests for all sorts of anomalies, and the diagnosis of cancer is not the same as parasitic infections. The symptoms present differently, and blood tests are the determinate factor in a cancer prognosis.

To seal the deal, an MRI clearly shows tumors, or parasites. I'm pretty sure all the cancer survivors here have had an MRI in their medical history.

posted on Mar, 14 2013 @ 08:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Limbo

I don't know. I am not familiar with the biology behind your line of questioning.

posted on Mar, 14 2013 @ 10:18 PM
link   
reply to post by intrptr

I am so sorry to piss of everyone , but the Cancer can cure less than 2 weeks... I saw it, and it was done by my friend who does healing .. It is illegal to advertise it in US , what do you think what is the reason for this??
I was an arm wrestler, and i couldn't straight my arm after a serious competition . 2 weeks later about a 170 lbs tall skinny guy stopped me on the hallway in the school back than in 1989 and he said "Can I help you? I saw your right elbow is hurting" I was laughing , and also surprised , so I let him to do his "magic". Took him 2 minutes, ( he almost passed out) and he fixed it! And he gave me something else , from than I have some "special" tricks I can do. I can see what is your problem, can get a sharp answer to many "crazy" answer, can do mind reading a bit, and , can do a mind control with weak minds as well. Cancer is a joke, because it was made by human, not by nature, and your body , and your mind is much stronger than that. I am an atheist , but I am believe (not really believe, it is an experience ) you can fight against cancer. Just an example, when you got a flu , and you think oh this is the end , I got high fever, and I will stock here for a week, you will sick as #. If you strong , and you think, # this , I will have a date tomorrow, with the hottest soul mate girl ( not a gay #) in my life , you will be fine by the morning... Why? Because it is in your brain my friend......

posted on Mar, 14 2013 @ 11:23 PM
link   
reply to post by MagyarVagyok

Ahhh, you are Hungarian. Pleased to meet you. I am American. Some of what you said was lost in translation. But thanks for the reply.

posted on Mar, 15 2013 @ 01:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by JohnnyCanuck

Originally posted by tetra50
reply to post by JohnnyCanuck

Sorry you see it that way as someone who has personal experience with cancer and loss. I am cutting and pasting maddeningly in hopes that people get some valuable, little known information that may help them, beforehand so that they can proactively take charge of their health and perhaps stop this happening to them.
Hey, I agree 100% that proactive measures are a great idea! I refer to the point at which one has contracted/developed/whatever the disease, and folks line up to talk them into eschewing so-called 'allopathic' medicine in favour of complimentary treatment. That ought to be a crime, IMHO. You've read my rationale in the post above.

By all means, though, continue encouraging folks to aggressively fight any initial onset, with good health..

I was just diagnosed with breast cancer a few weeks ago. It was caught relatively early, I had a lumpectomy and at this point I've agreed to brachytherapy, an internal short course of radiation therapy. I'm planning on passing on the 5-10 year cycle of aromatase inhibitors that were recommended though. My research tells me that 50% of all women stop the AIs before the 5 years is up because the side effects (I call them 'effects' because they're not little issues and are too prevalent) are so horrible; stabbing joint pains, bone loss causing osteopenia or osteoporosis, cardiac damage, etc. In other words, no more estrogen in your system and you age rapidly. I also don't want to completely give up my pregnenolone and DHEA supplements, which give me the actual use of my brain and full intellect, as well as up-grade my personality in an interesting way. Makes me far more feisty and less timid. It's a trade off and one only I can decide to make. I'd rather have five more years like this, instead of ten years of being miserable. According to the 'odds' I could easily make anywhere from 10 to 20 more years and that's damn good considering I'm already 60. Gotta die of something.

I appreciate having ALL information available to me easily for an internet search, and you better believe the doctors I've been talking to the last few weeks haven't mentioned any of the alternatives. They may know about them, but the AMA and the ACS have made sure they don't mention them, for fear of their licenses.

I absolutely CONDEMN the idea that I've been told my entire life that I live in a free country and yet I can't pick and choose what treatment I want, or what lifestyle I choose, (including growing and using a hemp plant) and that some of my choices have been run out of the country or their inventors put in jail. So what if I want to try laetrile or Royal Rife's methods, or Essiac tea? It's my life and should be my choice.

Finally, I think there's a real option here of middle-of-the-ground. Maybe the real cures will be found with surgery, some radiation, some chemo, some hormone adjustments, Vitamin C and all the rest, combined. The problem lies when 'conventional' treatments so harm the body that no amount of vitamins or other less toxic modalities can repair the damage in time. I'm going ahead with limited radiation treatments with great trepidation. I have no such worries about high dose Vitamin C therapy, or hash oil therapy which has no known toxic dose, or many of the other possibilities I've seen in my research.

posted on Mar, 15 2013 @ 06:53 AM
link   
reply to post by signalfire

Can't argue a thing you've said, except to note that you should be letting your oncologist know about your choices, just in case you are setting up some contraindications you are not aware of. I asked if I could take Zyflamend and omega-3 fish oil to help ameliorate any side effects from the radiation. His response? "Can't hurt". Couldn't say if it made any difference, but I'm fine with the results of the treatment.

So there is one choice you CAN make...if your doctor won't talk about such things, find another who will. Good luck to you.

posted on Mar, 15 2013 @ 10:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by Druid42
reply to post by tetra50

Your link in this post is broken.

You are also using the "QUOTE" button for external text, which is a no-no for proper formatting. When linking outside text use the EX-TEXT button, it works the same exact way, but provides different colors. It is the second button to the left of the "QUOTE" button. Use proper tags, please.

Your research is sound, and you may have a point, but I'm not convinced. There would be more reports of cancer patients being diagnosed with parasitic infections, and removing the parasite would cure their cancer.

I do see your point of parasites causing damage to organs, but I've watched enough "House" to know that the medical field tests for all sorts of anomalies, and the diagnosis of cancer is not the same as parasitic infections. The symptoms present differently, and blood tests are the determinate factor in a cancer prognosis.

To seal the deal, an MRI clearly shows tumors, or parasites. I'm pretty sure all the cancer survivors here have had an MRI in their medical history.

I confess I am not yet fully caffienated, but will return later with more sources pinpointing your objections, or skepticisms. and in particular to address this:

do see your point of parasites causing damage to organs, but I've watched enough "House" to know that the medical field tests for all sorts of anomalies, and the diagnosis of cancer is not the same as parasitic infections. The symptoms present differently, and blood tests are the determinate factor in a cancer prognosis.

I'm afraid I don't quite agree that having "waatched enough House" qualifies to make the argument you are here about testing, cancer diagnoses, parasitic infections the the representation of different symptoms. And no, blood test are most certainly not always the determinate factor in cancer diagnoses, and certainly neither aways for prognosis, diagnoses and prognosis, for one, being two very different things to address.

But please look later this afternoon for more research and sources in your thread collected by me and pasted in, hopefully in the correct formatting, and of course attempting to do better using proper tags. Criticism noted.

Oh yes, and certainly I will attempt to fix the broken link.
edit on 15-3-2013 by tetra50 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 15 2013 @ 11:45 PM
link   
Having spent so much time recently in the Integrity thread, I felt like it only right to stop back by and explain why I have not yet done what i said I would do in my last post. Been a long, but beautiful day, here, anyway. Spent some outside time on the Mighty Mississippi shoreline, just sitiing, me, my daughter and her boyfriend. I needed this at that moment today, as opposed to filtering through medical abstracts, where despite their use of big words an assumptions of enough of other conditions to refer to them in backing up their explanations for their latest conclusions however supportive to the case you are making(or attempting to, ratther).

Also, if you see this disease/medical care/environmental/supposed research/ big pharma thing and how it all seems hooked together in such an unsavory way, and one that people are virtually helpless to, at that.........without even adding insurance companies, the laws and who benefits from them the most/and "Obamacare," well......feeling that helpless and affronted for the entire human condition of life that has also become increasingly punitively defined and judged by what's called "lifestyle choices," and dealt with by the motivation to perfect ways to defer coverage because of financial bottom lines, which invariably in sales means constant, increasing profits and growth in business--all in terms of decisions about care for those who need it......

I could go on but don't see a need to further explain why this was not the best use of my attention and time today......Now a lot of people will just go, as they already have really, 'well, it was your choice to smoke for ten years when you got that lung cancer diagnosis, and it's not like there weren't plenty of warnings about that possibility/almost eventuality. However, for me it's stil about the possibility not always becoming the eventuality. And these statistics showing us this, should tell us we do not know as much as we think we might. But in the health care industry, just like any other industry in a capitalistic situation.

And not only that, there really are a lot of alternative research theories that are pretty sound that just don't get enough attention.. Often people have no ideas of something like these parasitic infections and what they can, in fact, cause.

I will provide more abstract sources tomorrow. And thanks for letting me have my little rant.

posted on Mar, 16 2013 @ 01:20 PM
link   

by all means, sorry to hear of this for you. But keep your head up, just as it sounds as though you are, and the very best of luck to you in fighting this. So sad, you are so young. Wish it wasn't even something you were having to think about.
Tetra

posted on Mar, 21 2013 @ 02:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by tetra50

by all means, sorry to hear of this for you. But keep your head up, just as it sounds as though you are, and the very best of luck to you in fighting this. So sad, you are so young. Wish it wasn't even something you were having to think about.
Tetra

Thank you Tetra; funny I don't think of myself as young anymore at almost 60...

Had a long talk with the surgeon and the 'radiation' guy and decided to forego the brachytherapy, a form of high dose but abbreviated internal radiation. I have DCIS and LCIS in the sample of tissue they took out with the lumpectomy. They had me scared there for a while about my chances of recurrence, needed all this other therapy including aromatase inhibitors to cut out my estrogen levels, etc. But turns out in further discussion (interesting that this was omitted the first appointment talking with him) that my chance of recurrence are 10% in the next 12-15 YEARS. I had initially inquired about prophylactic bilateral simple mastectomies just to get rid of what I'm now calling the 'Great Mammary Mutiny' but the Rad guy said I'd have no luck finding a surgeon to do that even though the overall cost to the insurance company would be way lower than what they were planning for me and would reduce my risks to less than 3% of recurrence...

I allowed as though radiation and then estrogen blocking would be akin to me cutting off his testicles and irradiating his penis and then giving him chemicals to block any remaining testosterone he might have circulating, and how'd he'd like it? No answer there but a bit of a deer-in-the-headlights look that I'd have the nerve to make the comparison.

The other doc, the chemo guy, didn't even seem to understand that aromatase inhibitors were the equivalent of sudden accelerated aging. The stupidity of someone with an advanced degree just boggles my mind...but he's a guy and he doesn't care.

If you read the pharmaceutical company's propaganda they say that 'most patients tolerate the treatment well'; but if you read up on the patient blogs, up to 70% quit treatment before the 5-10 years are up, because the side effects are so horrific. This when the 'threat' of death is hanging over them in the form of recurrences. In other words, the doctors read the pharma company crap without realizing what's really going on; perhaps a lot of patients stop the chemical ingestion and don't dare say anything to their docs about it, and meanwhile feel that they have 'failed' because they couldn't continue like all them other happy campers that the pharma company talks about.

Upshot is, I'm going with the new alternative therapy treatment methods. Somebody's gotta be a guinea pig and it's gonna be me, because that other stuff is BS. Radiation and chemical castration? Really, modern medicine? That's all you got? Toxins?

posted on Mar, 21 2013 @ 10:46 PM
link   

Your location states Oregon, so I have to wonder if you've ever been to the Bagby Hot Springs. That's a magical place. Are you transplanted, or did you grow up there?

At 60, heck, make your own calls. I know I will be.

Best wishes.

posted on Mar, 21 2013 @ 10:55 PM
link   
reply to post by tetra50

tetra, sometimes you just need to kick back, and enjoy the scenery. Please don't forget that.

It seems to me you get too passionate, which is not a bad thing at all, but you need to realize there's a line between insanity and life. Passion sometimes blurs the vision, and perspective suffers, so just remember to keep it all in balance. You're a kind soul, well intentioned, but you play your intentions against your true nature.

Spend some time getting back to the basics of yourself. You've gotten off track. The little things mean more than what you realize.

posted on Mar, 22 2013 @ 04:47 PM
link   

edit on 22-3-2013 by tetra50 because: (no reason given)
keyed the wrong key..

posted on Mar, 22 2013 @ 05:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Druid42
reply to post by tetra50

tetra, sometimes you just need to kick back, and enjoy the scenery. Please don't forget that.

It seems to me you get too passionate, which is not a bad thing at all, but you need to realize there's a line between insanity and life. Passion sometimes blurs the vision, and perspective suffers, so just remember to keep it all in balance. You're a kind soul, well intentioned, but you play your intentions against your true nature.

Spend some time getting back to the basics of yourself. You've gotten off track. The little things mean more than what you realize.

I guess I thought that's what I said, about getting back to the basics of myself when I talked about how spent the day in my last post. But I got a little confused with the line between insanity and life, and downright "curmudgeoned" from there on. I'm neither sure how to take your words about my intentions and how I "play" them abainst my "true nature." This is, after all a computer forum, and I'm interested you think you may know me that well, not to mention what you take my "true nature," to be....not even going into "playing" them against one another, as though I am being manipulative or disingenuous, somehow.

I suppose you are nicely asking me not post in your thread anymore. To get so personal in order to do it, isn't really necessary. We do have U2U's.....and I think such a personal post would more likely be appropriate there, especially considering we'd already written to one another there. And that I guess has me more confused than anything, since you paid me quite a nice compliment in your U2U to me. As well, the information I supplied to your thread was quite concrete, the sources medical and scientific, not less credible, perhaps, than other sources I could name, but won't out of politness, to them, when this just became personal between you and I, somehow. I am also interested that your post seems to speak of boundaries (line between insanity and life) and "perspective," of all things, seems to be a bit of projection, especially when one observes the timeline here--I stopped posting in your thread a several days ago. LOL. Looking at that same timeline, I wonder if you are bumping your own thread by "bumping into," me......

posted on Mar, 22 2013 @ 06:33 PM
link   
reply to post by tetra50

Actually, I was referring to this comment you made....

Spent some outside time on the Mighty Mississippi shoreline, just sitiing, me, my daughter and her boyfriend. I needed this at that moment today, as opposed to filtering through medical abstracts, where despite their use of big words an assumptions of enough of other conditions to refer to them in backing up their explanations for their latest conclusions

....and I myself could use a bit of that time along the shore. Life has been hectic for me the past week. My my dog had a seizure (thread here), and most of my attention has not been focused.

I was contemplating how peaceful that would be, and then you prompted my comment when you stated this:

as opposed to filtering through medical abstracts

Sitting on the shore > sifting through files. There was no offense intended, nor did I realize my post would be taken the wrong way. I apologize for that.

With the added stress of doggie-care, I was forced to contemplate more dire situations, such as people who have cancer. In fact, the stress has made me very introspective lately. I may have to put my doggie down, maybe not, a big unknown at this point in time, but it really gets you thinking about life, and how precious it really is. In whatever form, human or canine.

Personally, I think you have made many VALUABLE contributions to this thread, and I'd be disappointed if you really think that I don't want you posting here. I actually think you have a unique perspective, and have enjoyed reading the information you've been posting. That's the whole point of this thread, to present ideas and offer information.

Again, sorry for the offense. It was not intended that way. In retrospect, I guess I may have been musing my own life.

posted on Mar, 22 2013 @ 10:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Druid42

I am very sorry my jumping the gun, so to speak...and I mean that. Losing a pet, is horrible. And one having siezures, and the emergency nature of it and everything. I am, indeed, sorry. Losing our loved ones, and having cancer ourselves, is all horrible. I wish we had answers, which is more important to consider than anything. Sickness and diseases, suffering. I wish we could end those things.

Thank you once more, for the kind words. It was me that made it personal, really, when I shared that about spending that day like that, and I understand the projection now a bit more, quite a bit more, actually, given the hectic week, introspection, your pet. And with your answer to me I feel like a real ass. Sorry. I was just a little confused, is all.

posted on Mar, 22 2013 @ 11:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Druid42

I'm so glad you posted this because I have to go for a bone marrow biopsy after I go on an up and coming trip and I'm really afraid. Here is my two cents. Stress and toxins. Stress affects our immune system and dozens of functions that our bodies undergo daily to keep us alive. Proven in the literature and too many big words to try to spell right since I'm tired but if you want me to send the research I can. There are hundreds of studies so be specific as to which type of cancer and ill pick a few. Basically if we are stressed short term many times a week, or long term, or even have what's known as distant stress, which is from past trauma, our cell structure changes due to hormones, dopamine receptors, cytokines, etc. I'm doing a big study on this now and it's overwhelming because not one doctor ever said to me "reduce your stress because it is affecting your health" - rather just a band aid approach all along. I was stupid and didn't figure it out myself, which I also attribute to being on auto pilot (to not be too hard on myself). Stress is also strongly associated with lesions in the brain and autoimmune disorders.

Then there are toxins. Think of our food supply. Gluten for example, in short, was not a problem in ancient times. It was changed by people (wheat was) to grow more. Lots of other toxins but you put this crap in your body enough your body will do its job and kick in. It will fight these intruders like it should and this stresses the system (stress in all forms so not just psychological or biological manifestations). your system is in constant combat mode; in overdrive and it eventually falls apart. It wears out. It's looking over here while destruction is being done over there or it simply cannot do it all or anymore at all.

posted on Mar, 28 2013 @ 09:29 PM
link   
reply to post by jazz10

Truly, one of the most ignorant replies I have ever heard....Please understand ignorant is not a derogatory term it is simply a word used to describe one whom lacks knowledge about a certain subject.

Onward: To speak to the cancer issue....I have a personal miraculous story to share that may help debunk some theories...

In June of 2012, my mother who was 73 at the time, was diagnosed with Acute Myeloid Leukemia....Basically cancer of the blood. All blood is manufactured in the bone marrow this is where the building blocks of DNA begins.

While there are several types of leukemia, there is not one as aggressive and fatal as AML. Our familiy was devastated. This was a woman whom had no other health problems, was extremely active, very health conscious and literally had no symptoms.....Thank goodness, she recognized she was extremely tired and that tipped her off to go to the doctor for some tests. Needless, to say we were in shock at the diagnosis confirmed by a bone marrow biopsy! Her prognosis was extremely grave, even with chemo., she had 7 months at max......

Then because of her extraordinary health, she was accepted into Emory Universities Bone Marrow transplant program! The cut off age for transplant is usually 65, but she defied the odds and presented as an excellent candidate. Siblings are the only ones suited for a bone marrow match and since that was out of the question, they went for the next best thing, a stem cell transplant taken from an adult not related to her.

As of day 120 post transplant, she is cancer free!! Not only in remission, but there is less than a 1% chance the disease will ever return. It has been a very long road and she has overcome many complications!

The key with chemo, is finding the right balance.....you must kill off the cancer cells which will also kill the healthy cells and then from scratch rebuild the healthy cells....Easier said than done. She developed a serious complication called Graft Vs. Host disease. This is where the donor cells takes over the host and recognizes the host cells as foreign, then begins to attack the tissue of the host. There are 4 stages of gvhd, unfortunately my mom developed stage 4 of the GI system...Her skin was slightly affected, but thankfully her liver was not. She is making a slow but steady recovery as her gut heals. However, she was on deaths doorstep more than once during this journey.

Her spirit, attitude and will to beat this was incredibly strong throughout the entire process. I do believe her outlook on life and her unwavering faith has taken her through.

If we could figure out the cause of cancer, then treating the disease would not be impossible. After all, that is more than half the battle. As a poster stated earlier the cause and effect of cancer is as individual as each one of us. Personally I believe it has to do with how much stress a person lives with and how they handle that stress. I also believe processed foods with chemical additives play a major role.

I do not believe big pharma is behind trying to hide a cure...this is up to the scientists, geneticists to be exact
to find the cure. The people of big pharma do not have the brain power necessary to even understand all the intricacies involved....this is NOT one size pill fits all...contrary to what we want to believe, it is not that simple.

To say that people imagine the symptoms of cancer or side effects to chemo/radiation is absurd...I assure you when you literally watch someone that looks relatively healthy descend to the depths of looking like a holocaust survivor, you will soon become a believer that this is not a figment of their imagination. I would not wish this on my worst enemy it is literally a horrific experience to go through and witness.

My heart goes out to all whom have been in my shoes or whom have lost a loved one or is the fight of their life with this very ugly disease..

Thank you for letting me share some truth about cancer.
Pax
edit on 3/28/2013 by paxnatus because: grammar

posted on Mar, 28 2013 @ 09:37 PM
link   
reply to post by paxnatus

Thanks for sharing. It is really important for the success stories of modern medicine to be heard, if nothing else but to give hope to those who become afflicted by cancer and to allow them a fighting chance. We have lots of members here who have been cured by modern medicine. Strangely quiet from those who have cured their own cancer through alternate therapies...dispute all the chaff.

posted on Mar, 28 2013 @ 10:04 PM
link   
reply to post by paxnatus

Personally I believe it has to do with how much stress a person lives with and how they handle that stress. I also believe processed foods with chemical additives plays a major role.

That is an amazing case study, and I think you are bang on about stress (constant stress), and diet.

Could you share a bit more about her diet while undergoing treatment? Did she do anything special to her diet? Specific foods, veggies, what?

I'm very interested.

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8 >>

join