It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Enlightenment and God. (biblical view)

page: 6
<< 3  4  5   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 25 2013 @ 05:05 PM
link   
reply to post by bb23108

Yes God becomes Obvious as the Unknown, beyond mind, knowledge, etc. Do you have a favorite book you can recommend on this aspect of the way?

"The Cloud of Unknowing", "Human Buddha" by Anadi, "The Ultimate Medicine" by Nisargadatta.

The last one is actually public access:
Link PDF

Also check out these 2 links:
Link 1
Link 2

posted on Mar, 30 2013 @ 09:28 PM
link   
reply to post by AfterInfinity

You can't be enlightened without faith.

And the Judaic god is the only true god, this is recognized by a number of religions.

I will refrain from teaching but if you can't recognize this you are indeed a fool.

posted on Mar, 30 2013 @ 09:33 PM
link   
reply to post by AfterInfinity

Sorry about the brutally 'tough love'. I'll elaborate a bit faith and enlightenment go hand in hand but you do not have to be religious to have faith.

And the Judaic god is sometimes tough to comprehend as good because he does things that are perceived as bad, being jealous, killing people, etc. But in reality he only has to do those 'bad' things in judgement of humans who do bad things.

As religion teaches, god is the judge of humanity.

If you don't recognize this you couldn't possibly be enlightened.

But as I mentioned before you do not need to be religious to be enlightened, although faith in god is a necessity. I would be wary to confuse intellectual awareness with true enlightenment.

posted on Mar, 30 2013 @ 09:37 PM
link   
These are characteristics of someone who is attaining enlightenment . Adhere to these methods.

The elevation of an incarnated spirit is proved by the conformity of all the acts of his corporeal life with the law of God, and by his comprehension of spiritual life."

The truly virtuous man is he who practices the law of justice, love, and charity, in its greatest purity. If he interrogates his conscience in regard to the acts accomplished by him, he will ask himself whether he has done nothing wrong, whether he has done all the good in his power, whether no one has cause to complain of him, and whether he has done to others all that he would wish others to do to him. Being filled with the sentiment of charity and kindness for all, he does good for its own sake, without hope of reward, and sacrifices his own interest to justice.
He is kind, benevolent, humane, for all, because he sees a brother in every man, whatever his race or his belief.

If God has given him power and riches, he considers them as A TRUST confided to him for the general good; he is not vain of them, for he knows that God, who has given them to him, can take them from him. If the constitution of society has made other men dependent on him, he treats them with kindness and benevolence, as being his equals in the sight of God; he uses his authority to raise them morally, and not to crush them by his pride.

He is indulgent for the weaknesses of others, knowing that he too needs indulgence, and remembering the words of Christ, "Let him that is without sin cast the first stone."

He is not vindictive, but remembers only benefits; following the example of Jesus, he forgives all offences, for he knows that he will only obtain forgiveness in proportion as he has forgiven.

He respects the rights of others, as established by the law of nature, as scrupulously as he desires those rights to be respected in his own case.
link
edit on 30-3-2013 by Shadow Herder because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 31 2013 @ 12:18 PM
link   
reply to post by On7a7higher7plane

You can't be enlightened without faith.

How do you know? You can be Enlightened through wisdom, logic, reason, letting go, surrender, love, grace, mantra, awareness, and countless other ways that have nothing to do with Faith.

And the Judaic god is the only true god, this is recognized by a number of religions.

Out of all the Judaic Religions, I reject all of them except for the teachings of Christ in the NT. Doesn't mean I have to accept Judaism, which I don't (with its brutal killings, slaying of children, blood thirsty god requiring animal sacrifices)

On top of that, people in other Spiritual Paths such as Buddhism, Taoism, Hinduism, Yoga, and various Philosophies have reached Enlightenment while having nothing to do with any judaic god

I will refrain from teaching but if you can't recognize this you are indeed a fool.

Call me a fool then. I am a fool for Christ, for Buddha, for Absolute Truth, for Enlightenment, Love, Grace, Holy Spirit, etc ...the judaistic religions have produced nothing but pharisees & saducees, the same "Ego" based people who crucified Christ

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 11:56 PM
link   
reply to post by dominicus

Ask any truly enlightened person if they believe and god and they will say yes. It is inherent knowledge to the enlightened.

I am sorry for your lack of faith.

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 11:57 PM
link   
reply to post by dominicus

Remember intellectual enlightenment is temporary, spiritual enlightenment is very rare and permanent.

Do you think Buddha didn't believe in god?

posted on Apr, 3 2013 @ 11:28 AM
link   
reply to post by On7a7higher7plane

Ask any truly enlightened person if they believe and god and they will say yes.

Ask any truly enlightened person if they believe and god and they will say they experience God directly. What need is Faith for, if you are experiencing the thing that initially required faith?

It is inherent knowledge to the enlightened. I am sorry for your lack of faith.

I would rather have direct experience of God, over Faith. You can have your faith all day long. In the end, the heart longs to be at Home in Union and Enlightenment. The heart does not yearn for faith. Faith is for beginners. Enlightenment is for those who have crossed the plains into Enlightenment.

Remember intellectual enlightenment is temporary, spiritual enlightenment is very rare and permanent. Do you think Buddha didn't believe in god?

Belief is illusion, the realm of Thoughts/mind. Enlightenment is reality, the realm of direct experience and what is prior to thoughts/mind/belief.

posted on Apr, 3 2013 @ 12:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Angle

Obedience to God shall allow ye entry into the Celestial kingdom of God. There can be no enlightenment without obedience.

posted on Apr, 5 2013 @ 09:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by spiritoftruth111
There can be no enlightenment without obedience.
Well if by obedience you mean utter surrender of the whole body-mind to the Divine by loving God completely fully, and neighbor as oneself, and so allowing for complete release of all seeking, then yes, that is one way of saying it.

However, often times people use the word obedience to mean just doing good deeds in order to please God because of one's fear of Him, one's assumptions that God is elsewhere only to judge us later, etc. Such forms of obedience are motivated by the same separative ego-I that requires transcendence for enlightenment, so that kind of obedience is not going to cut it.

Do you care to elaborate on what you mean by obedience?
edit on 5-4-2013 by bb23108 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 5 2013 @ 10:05 AM
link   
reply to post by spiritoftruth111

There can be no enlightenment without obedience.

I guess you could say that Abraham Lincoln killed enlightenment, then.

posted on Apr, 5 2013 @ 11:43 AM
link   
How can a person judge a book, they've never even bothered to read? Yeah, ok, go ahead and say you've "read" it. Lie, like everyone else does. You didn't read it, you glanced through it. You didn't seek answers for yourself; you listened to what others told you, about the book. You read someone else's cliff notes, then said: "ah-fooey". I bet you, if you study the Bible, like you studied the facts about all the other conspiracies, you'll come to find out for yourself, everybody elses cliff notes were way off.

The Bible isn't just a book "written by man", it's a guideline of how not to get conned into the fairytale we call "life". Apparently, some of you need to read that book you call a "fairytale" because you certainly believe in the deceptions of this world; and those deceptions are causing you to live a fake lifestyle.

posted on Apr, 5 2013 @ 10:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by shhhhhh
How can a person judge a book, they've never even bothered to read? Yeah, ok, go ahead and say you've "read" it. Lie, like everyone else does. You didn't read it, you glanced through it. You didn't seek answers for yourself; you listened to what others told you, about the book. You read someone else's cliff notes, then said: "ah-fooey". I bet you, if you study the Bible, like you studied the facts about all the other conspiracies, you'll come to find out for yourself, everybody elses cliff notes were way off.

The Bible isn't just a book "written by man", it's a guideline of how not to get conned into the fairytale we call "life". Apparently, some of you need to read that book you call a "fairytale" because you certainly believe in the deceptions of this world; and those deceptions are causing you to live a fake lifestyle.

From "your" book:
for the letter kills, but the spirit gives life.

Its a book. All words. Pointers. Directions on how to get somewhere. Onwards to Enlightenment and Union w/ God. The direct experience is the Spirit, the Grace of God. At that point, Love is written in your heart,

I would rather hang out with God, than tell him I'm busy and can't hang out right now because I have to read a book about what people had to say about him.

top topics

<< 3  4  5   >>

join