It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I really need some career advice here :( to join or not to join?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 11 2013 @ 04:02 PM
link   
I have been out of high school for close to one year now. I tried the college thing and its not for me because im not into the debt and im not into the manipulating ways of the teachers. My dad was in the navy for 20 years and my uncle is still in and is currently an admiral of a battle cruiser. Immediately after high school I thought that the Navy was my best shot, but so many people respond negatively to me when I bring it up! All my friends, my brother, and so many things on the internet persuade me to believe that its not all its built up to be. That I would regret joining! Another thing, I have a girl that im truly in love with so much. We have been dating for 1 year and 9 months and I never want to lose her. I fear that the seperation from me joining the navy might tear us apart. I feel like after high school theres really only two options in todays economy, join the service or go to college. One is a huge scam and im hoping the other one (the service) isnt? Anyone have any insight? Can anybody offer any sincere advice?

posted on Mar, 11 2013 @ 04:48 PM
link   
reply to post by BROB51

Just remember that the military life is what you make of it. It takes a certain mindset not to get sucked up in all the crap that goes on day to day. Not only that, but upon entering, you'll be at the bottom of the totem pole so you will get hit with all the crap details.

I've done thrity years and am now retired. Mostly I recommend staying away after asking a few questions.

But...it can also be a life changer. It was for me...in a good way that is.

The jobs I would recommend are:

Medical (Para-Rescue can be exciting if that's what you’re looking for, but it's also very hard)
Nuclear
Flight (either avionics or airframe, maybe even both)
Mechanic
Logistics (starts off boring but you end up learning a lot in the long run)
Navy-Radar or Engineman

All these jobs can lead to a well paying job in civilian life.

Stay away from Combat Arms as they are a dime a dozen, though the promotions do come quick due to a high turnover.

Remember that you will have very few friends while in, though a lot of good acquaintances. But they’ll dime you out in a heartbeat to save themselves. Don’t let ANY of your buddies talk you into doing something stupid.

edit on 11-3-2013 by TDawgRex because: forgot a line

posted on Mar, 11 2013 @ 04:49 PM
link   
Depending on the state you live in you could always join the ironworkers union or any union for that matter considering there is quite a boom of sorts going on right now as far as construction goes....I started out at $24.79 that's pretty good considering, and if you want a military lifestyle they'll definetly yell at you quite a bit....

I was thinking the same as you about joining the military, but they didn't want someone who actually thinks, just does. As for with the union you get an associates DEGREE with the option to get a bachelors DEGREE, not a bad choice in my opinion and you get to be with your girl, but just keep in mind that you are still young and you will probably love a lot of women before you find the one, just my 2 cents. Choose what you must but think about who you're trying to make happy your family or yourself?
However for those who are reading this thinking man that guy hates the military, I don't hate the military I have just learned from others mistakes that end up without a pot to pee in when they get out of the military, unless they were injured in combat, and still you have to deal with crap a** doctors who couldn't give a damn. If Im wrong then explain to me how the majority of retired vets make up a hefty percentage of the homeless populace. Wish you the best of luck in anything you decide to do. Keep in my mind education is key to becoming anything these days.

posted on Mar, 11 2013 @ 04:54 PM
link   
reply to post by BROB51

Brob51, First to let you know I used to be a Active Duty Army Recuriter, I was staioned in a Rural Area In Wisconsin and I did not do very well, In 18 Months I only put in 11 individuals and I was told by my superiors that i was to open and honest, Recuriting tours usally are 36 months so I was released from recuriting duty and sent back to my job.

This is what I told everyone, basic is not all that hard, if you are in physical shape you should have no problem, its more the stress factor, The goal of all Drill Sergeants is to push you to see what you are made of, if you have parents that were hard on you this should be a cake walk. Yes there is a lot of BS that goes on but if you don't let it get to you and just remember these two things " During Basic training do you Best" Also I told my recurites this " A drill Sergeant can chew you as# on so long before he runs into you #ick" When you think of this last one I suggest not laughing when they are chewing on you.

The question you need to ask yourself, is following family foots steps they way to go? there are other branches of service out there, Personally I did not like to Fly, Swim (Large bodies of Water) but I did like the big toys (tanks) that is how I made my decision back in 1982.

So ask your self this, what do you want to do. be on a ship gone for months or be staioned some were, were you may and I say may have more time with your girl.

There are many benefits to joining which each different branch can tell you or just look them up. Personally for me it was the VA home loan that I liked.

This would be a good jumping off point for you to start your life, you will get some exsperince

Ask yourself are they holding you back or can you better yourself, I recommed if you do join the service take on enlistment and then get out don't be suckered into serving longer unless you choose to.

Good luck

posted on Mar, 11 2013 @ 05:11 PM
link   
Hi,
Well I'm a Career Counselor and my best advice would be this:
You already know college is not for you and because you have some hesitations about military service explore the skilled trades route. There is a vast and desperate need for individuals in the skilled trades arena such as construction, electricity, plumbing, pipe fitting, etc. Bachelors degrees are so ubiquitous now days that starting salaries for jobs requiring them have dramatically fallen i.e. 25k -30k tops. That's anywhere from 12.00 to 16.00 dollars an hour. Now, skilled tradesmen with proper certification can ask for 20.00 to 30.00 an hour. It's something to think about. I'll leave you with this: everyone wants a corner office but no one knows how to build it.
edit on 3/11/13 by WickedStar because: sp

posted on Mar, 11 2013 @ 07:22 PM
link   
reply to post by BROB51

WickedStar gives some good advice. You may do well in the "trades."

As an ex-Navy man myself, I can tell you a couple of things if you do join the military (any branch):

It's possible, though not probable, that you'll keep your current girlfriend; get accustomed to that fact.

As 19KTankCommander suggests, in Basic Training do your best. Remember that the process is designed to destroy you all as individuals and build you back up as a unit. Don't worry: It's not a permanent loss.

The confidence, self-respect, and leadership abilities you leave the military with will serve you well your entire life. And believe me when I say that that kind of self-respect will gain you much respect from others everywhere you go....

posted on Mar, 12 2013 @ 11:58 PM
link   
Im going to do it

posted on Mar, 13 2013 @ 07:27 AM
link   
I think you should continue with your study

posted on Mar, 13 2013 @ 08:09 AM
link   
reply to post by BROB51

I fear that the seperation from me joining the navy might tear us apart.

Well, you're young...of course it will end that relationship. At least be realistic about it. But also, realize that you don't even really know who you are yet, and who you want...neither does she.

College these days...a lot of debt, yes, but it's also getting to be needed....a degree is the new HS diploma these days. That said, I've got a Masters, and I'm underemployed...so there you go.

If I had it to do all over again, I would have either gone into a trade (like carpentry, electrician, plumber, truck driver), or the military route. I almost did the military route, but couldn't get the OS I wanted, so went to college instead.

At least in the Navy, you've got a good shot at staying alive and not patrolling the streets of some dustbowl middle eastern neighborhood. If you do go Navy, try and steer towards an OS that will give you options if you leave the service...a good technical skill (and you can also do college this way).

posted on Mar, 14 2013 @ 10:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

Yes I understand that im young and ive contemplated the possibilities of going our seperate ways before but I cant bare the pain of her and her family denouncing me after all that we have been through. Weve talked about marriage and forever so many times, I feel that we have either A. gone overboard about our feelings or B. this is really meant to be. I feel however, that its really holding me back from attempting the things I want to do in life. Its a strange paradox indeed.

new topics

top topics

join