It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Matrix(The Movie) Nostalgia? or maybe the lack of it?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 11 2013 @ 01:14 PM
link   
Hi Everyone,

If you watch Matrix again, does it feel like that movie is 14 yrs old?

I simply cannot accept that fact.

If i watch a movie from 2005, i tell myself that "this movie was made 6 yrs after Matrix, and why does it feel like this is much older?" Because you would assume the quality and concept would be much improved since a movie like Matrix had already come out?

Did Matrix set a high standard in people's mind? Maybe it could be just me.

Even Inception did not have that impact on me... to me Inception is a good movie made in 2009, and i'm okay with that. Just cannot say that same for Matrix, to me Matrix feels like a movie made in 2007 or something...

Im not addicted to it, i watched The Avatar, Shawshank Redemption, Lion King and few others much more than i watched Matrix, however i did feel like the story, concept, and overall presentation was good and yes i have bad things to say about it as well.

I don't know, for those who watched it recently or remember it... how do you feel about it? does it seems like a movie made 14 years ago? something before 9/11 something before the Y2K?

"I simply cannot Believe it" Hahaha.

Whats your thoughts about it?

edit on 3/11/2013 by luciddream because: spellings

posted on Mar, 11 2013 @ 01:43 PM
link   
reply to post by luciddream

Jurassic Park is 20 years old (1993)
Pulp Fiction is 19 years old (1994)
Forrest Gump is 19 years old (1994)
The Shawshank Redemption is 19 years old (1994)
Terminator 2 - Jugement Day is 22 years old (1991)
Seven is 18 years old (1995)

It's crazy how time flies. I remember seeing those i theater like it was yesterday. Matrix was before it's time. I think it had way more impact than Inception because the tech was brand new and they still used live action sequences enhanced by green screens. The newer Matrix movies used a lot of CG even for the characters and it showed greatly. Don't get me wrong I like CG but only when used appropriately. I still prefer make-up, scaled models, forced photography and so on. It makes things look more realistic.

Getting back to Inception. I was very disapointed, Why? I have no idea. It looked amazing, the plot was interesting but it left me wanting more. Maybe because of all the hype it got, i don't know. I might have to rent it again.
edit on 11-3-2013 by XLR8R because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 11 2013 @ 01:45 PM
link   
reply to post by XLR8R

I guess from your reply, i can formulate one conclusion that our age(in our mind) slows as we age, but the outside world does not.

posted on Mar, 11 2013 @ 01:53 PM
link   
reply to post by XLR8R

From your list, i can for say Terminator 2 definitely does not seem like 22 yr old movie.

posted on Mar, 11 2013 @ 01:53 PM
link   

I'm a perpetual teen in my heart.
I'm 36 by the way.

posted on Mar, 11 2013 @ 01:54 PM
link   

T2 still looks amazing. Better than some from today.

posted on Mar, 11 2013 @ 02:01 PM
link   
reply to post by XLR8R

Interesting, Matrix came out when i was 13, roughly 14 yrs ago. The lists you mentioned came in early 1990s, roughly when you were 14 yrs old!

I guess Teenage mind set is in it for life!
edit on 3/11/2013 by luciddream because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 11 2013 @ 02:11 PM
link   

As far as movies go the best ones (for me) came out when I was a teenager. My Kids loved the New Karate Kid with the Smith boy. So i rented the one with Ralph Macchio and they couldn't get enough of it. Same for Stand by Me (1986) , The Goonies (1985) , Spaceballs (1987) and numerous other. They say character development was better in the day. Makes you feel more for the characters and makes the story more interesting. They do kind of cut short the back stories now a days. Shame.

posted on Mar, 11 2013 @ 02:20 PM
link   
The movies, I've found, tend to stay timeless. Certain films, like The Matrix trilogy are production designed to be hard to pin down to an era. That helps them feel new. Many of my favorite movies are from even before I was born and end up dated because of the cars in them, the clothing, etc. Movies that manage to avoid that trap tend to have a longer shelf life in pop-culture. I mean look at Star Wars - I was ten when that movie came out and it is still a HUGE buzz today.

The real kick in the soul is the process that begins when you discover some of your favorite music in the clearance bin at the dollar store. Initially you're like "SCORE!"... then, as it sinks in... the offense starts to build up until you find yourself drunk texting acquaintances at four AM to say "You know, Krokus but out some garbage after they hit, but "Headhunter" was a classic! How could Dollar General be selling it for a buck???"

What hurts even more is when you go back and find music you never even heard of in the bin and the stuff from your youth is long gone. When your childhood doesn't even merit the dollar bin? That's a sad day.

posted on Mar, 11 2013 @ 02:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Hefficide

I like how you mentioned, the cars and the cloths as a point of reflection in a movie. It does seem like these movies, that are taken away from their "normal" setting of their time period is what makes them elusive or slows down their staling.

I guess facing the truth that you are aging and the time is on going is something everyone will go through.

Yet we are the same on the inside!

posted on Mar, 11 2013 @ 02:42 PM
link   

Whatever it is, it's a movie not to be ignored. It seemed to serve some catalytic purpose in the world much like Star Wars had in the 70s.

Yes, like Bladerunner, The Matrix will remain timeless. I think that The Matrix has that quality because it tells a story about how we are unlimited spirit trapped in a prison of matter. I think that theme will remain very popular until we have used these types of stories to find our way out.

posted on Mar, 11 2013 @ 02:46 PM
link   
I think your looking at it the wrong way. Movies are art, and art is timeless. Their are tons of grate movies that came out before the matrix that seem as if they wear "ahead of their time" but their is no such thing when it comes to art. The matrix is similar to allot of movies... The one man with a destiny who saves humanity from some huge event, the only thing that changes is the theme. Most movie's have the same story's, hardly any one realizes it because the theme changes. I am only using this example because its blatantly easy to see, terminator vs the matrix. John Connor is neo, Arnold is Morpheus and trinity is john Connors mom. Inception dream world is the matrix. These story's are based off of one outline. They are all ways filled with the same masonic symbolism witch tells you who each character is. Almost as if they are the ritual plays you see when you are gaining your ranks in freemasonry.

Your one this site for a reason. Beware of these movies, they are made by company's that want nothing more then to brain wash you. They are the controlled by the elite. This is the real matrix duality.

posted on Mar, 11 2013 @ 02:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Bybyots

Thanks for the comparisons. I have not found many that are really stuck to me. Even tho i like Star wars, Star Trek, and things from the 70s/80s i think if i was grew up(instead of watching reruns and recordings) with them, i would have liked it much more.

posted on Mar, 11 2013 @ 02:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Infi8nity

I like the concept of Matrix, it introduced me to an Idea, nothing more, i'm not joining some cults because of it or am i going to worship the directors and the cinematographers. It pretty much expanded my thinking patterns.

Secret Societies might exist, but it is not my interest at this moment, maybe int he future but not now.

Thanks for you correlations with them tho.

posted on Mar, 11 2013 @ 02:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by luciddream
reply to post by Infi8nity

I like the concept of Matrix, it introduced me to an Idea, nothing more, i'm not joining some cults because of it or am i going to worship the directors and the cinematographers. It pretty much expanded my thinking patterns.

Secret Societies might exist, but it is not my interest at this moment, maybe int he future but not now.

Thanks for you correlations with them tho.

Its not about you join the occult. Its about the US VS THEM mentality plus far more. If you want to understand it, look into neuro linguistic programming, witch is the back bone of all Hollywood movies. You said "It pretty much expanded my thinking patterns", learning neuro linguistic programing will expand your thinking patterns far more then any hollywood movie witch uses the techniques. Mkultra is nothing compared to this.
edit on 11-3-2013 by Infi8nity because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 11 2013 @ 06:50 PM
link   
Hey, I was just watching The Matrix last night. You are right, for some reason it does not feel like that old a movie.

I think Star Trek: The Next Generation is like this. When did that series begin, 1989? To me it doesn't seem nearly that old.

Then there are some movies that will always be timeless for me, but definitely show their age. The original Star Wars trilogy. Dune. But I can still get more immersed in those movies, even with their sometimes-immersion-breaking special effects , than I can in new movies that have special effects so advanced that they are difficult to tell apart from real life.

Getting old now I guess. But still don't look it, hah!

posted on Mar, 11 2013 @ 11:01 PM
link   
I honestly think a lot of the visceral impact with The Matrix came from two things..

1. It being something unique at the time
2. It being so close to Y2K with a March 1999 release.

I know a lot of people that took a new interest in anything close to computers because of Y2k so this movie hit that wave perfectly.

posted on Mar, 12 2013 @ 08:03 AM
link   
reply to post by heyitsok

Im hoping to find more of these timeless arts. So far only few has stuck to me, im not most saying movies are bad now a days... its just that some are over the top and deep.

posted on Mar, 12 2013 @ 08:05 AM
link   
reply to post by opethPA

Good points.

Im going to go with #1, to me Y2K was not that important, maybe it was the age.. i was 12 i believe... heck at that point i did not understand Y2K properly.. all i know is someone told me air planes would fall out of sky...

posted on Mar, 12 2013 @ 01:55 PM
link   
Matrix is to this day, is one of my absolute favorite movies. I remember seeing it when it came out and only seeing the action aspect as I was not even a teenager at the time. Then when I re-watched it a couple years back, my mind was blown by the true layers and meaning of the film. I agree with the above statement that it doesn't really fall into a genre and could be why it feels so new but personally I feel it made such an impact because the concept was something so bizarre at the time and to this day is still commonly referenced.

I just hope they don't do a new age spin on it with Zac Effron

top topics

<<   2 >>

join