It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What separates us from the animals?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 9 2013 @ 10:11 PM
link   
The ability to use reason and logic or the capacity for emotion and empathy?

I created a thread last night that was overall not well received.
But it did elicit some posts that got me to thinking.

What makes us any better than the shark that is essentially a very efficient eating machine, or the cat that will stalk and kill smaller creatures for sport? Or perhaps the virus that invades and destroys blindly for no other purpose than to replicate itself?

It would appear to come down to the traits that I have listed. Reason and logic, and emotion and empathy.
Now there are animals that demonstrate these to one degree or another. The Octopus has certainly demonstrated it's ability to plan out a course of action and utilize tools to make it so. I think dogs do a pretty good job of becoming emotionally attached to their owners. Of course the Chimps and Apes put on a good show of both categories, but they don't have anything on humans when it comes to going to the extremes that we do.

I tend to lean more towards the reason and logic side. It has been my experience that good decisions are rarely made when emotions are given control. While logic and reason always provide the correct course of action. Some will say to seek a balance between the two. And generally I am all about balance, but I have only observed reason being able to guide alone in contrast to emotions. So in this context, I think balancing the two is not a preferential position.

Thoughts?
edit on 9-3-2013 by watchitburn because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 9 2013 @ 10:16 PM
link   
reply to post by watchitburn

Dear watchitburn,

Morals that we choose in an unselfish manner? Animals will not protect those they hate. Most people won't; but, some will.

posted on Mar, 9 2013 @ 10:20 PM
link   
apposable thumb, ability to fashion tools and weapons, leave earths atmosphere

posted on Mar, 9 2013 @ 10:23 PM
link   
The list goes on, and it's very debatable.

I would suggest that Choice is what separates us from animals.
We have the ability to utilize our instincts to help us make choices.
Whereas the rest of the species on earth are driven or dictated by said instincts.

Neither by chance, nor by fate: humans exist because they choose to.

Imagine what you could do, by understanding this; and exploiting it. Manufactured choices: Pepsi, Coca Cola --- hint, ask the animals, drink water!

posted on Mar, 9 2013 @ 10:23 PM
link   

Perhaps what makes us different then "animals" is that we have the ability to acknowledge our spiritual side...

Animals do seem to have logic and reason to an extent, which brings up the debate of Nature vs Nurture...

Though overall as a species we are the only ones who can contemplate our own nature, and our very existence

posted on Mar, 9 2013 @ 10:24 PM
link   

Child molestation, Rape, Incest...monetary system, organized religion, ect.

Hopefully we catch up one day...

posted on Mar, 9 2013 @ 10:26 PM
link   
We humans only understand human languages. Most people don't believe animals have a language of their own - that is a fallacy created by religion.
Animals quite often understand what we say to them - sometimes it seems they use telepathy as part of their language - sending visualizations of what is meant.
Humans might be able to figure out what and how animals communicate if they got their head out of their arses.
My little dog uses visual cues also to point out that I forgot to feed or give her water, lately she's been telling me she wants to get in my bed to sleep warmly by shivering where I can see her. As soon as I stand up she runs to the bed and waits - if I don't show up as quick as she wants me to she comes back and looks at me with those puppy dog eyes. She knows to point with her nose at something meaning she wants it or to do it.
I suppose this could be logic and reasoning also.

posted on Mar, 9 2013 @ 10:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by SPECULUM
apposable thumb, ability to fashion tools and weapons, leave earths atmosphere

We are not alone in the opposable thumb aspect.
It is what was achieved through intelligence that sets us apart.

posted on Mar, 9 2013 @ 10:28 PM
link   

I'm sitting here typing on my computer, and posting it on ATS. I can offer all the treats in the world to my dog, or even a monkey...they just can't do it.

But, I'm also of the mind, there are some mammals and animals that are, in some ways, smarter than me. So, I can't chalk up our differences due to intelligence. I don't think we've progressed scientifically far enough to completely gauge the depth of some animal's intelligence. Dolphins and whales come to mind.

I don't think we are really all that different in some ways....we have progressed to the point of being, as a species...meaner with intent. I don't think that is a positive thing. Nor, something to be proud of as a species.

Des

edit on 9-3-2013 by Destinyone because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 9 2013 @ 10:29 PM
link   
I really wouldn't know exactly what sets us apart from animals,but I do suspect they are a bit smarter than most humans give them credit for,since I really do think they avoid us because they watch what we do to one another.

And from my medical studies,it appears we are really nothing more than a variation on a common design.

But I don't really know a whole lot about anything in particular,so....

posted on Mar, 9 2013 @ 10:32 PM
link   
I believe in Christ but I acknolwledge this link to the East. The only thing that seperates us is intelligence.

A deer may be tame but his mind cannot keep up with the ball when playing with a dog.

A bird on the other hand will play with the ball and grasp the meaning of it.

posted on Mar, 9 2013 @ 10:32 PM
link   
What separates us? Probably not as much as some would like to think and tell themselves, would be my guess.

I'd say only two main things. Fine motor control with fingers and the opposable thumb for things like written language and sharing of knowledge as well as tool making and manipulation. Add to that, vocal ability to handle complex spoken communication.

Until we can prove another species really has non-verbal, complex communication (telepathy or something else underwater), I'd say it all comes down to communication in one way or another and what that allows.

posted on Mar, 9 2013 @ 10:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by facelift

Child molestation, Rape, Incest...monetary system, organized religion, ect.

Hopefully we catch up one day...

Baboons ^ (Minus the organized religion
)

posted on Mar, 9 2013 @ 10:34 PM
link   
I would say that animals possess instinctive mind, common to humans as well. But humans possess the added faculty of the intellect.
Emotions and the animal desires are seated in the instinctive mind. At the animal's level, emotions are necessary to react to the environment instantaneously, and sexual desires, hunger, and thirst ensure survival of the species.
The intellect, unique to man, differentiates us from the animals. A controlled intellect is able to supersede the lower mental principles, and command emotion and animal desires.
It is when man is not master of his own intellect that the instinctive mind may take control, and we may unwisely allow emotion, rather than reason, govern our decisions.

posted on Mar, 9 2013 @ 10:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

There really is absolutely no separation at all,aside from our supposed "Intelligence".

The only thing that really causes us to consider ourselves above animals is arrogance and fear of the unknown.

Religion was spawned from the fear of the unknown,the arrogance to assume we are greater than other species in some vague way which eludes me, I really cannot fathom after watching animals frolic in the wooded areas and retention ponds around Wal-Mart,and everywhere else we destroy,how we could possibly be greater or better in any way.

The only real differnece is our use of technology to destroy each other and our environment.

Anyway....

edit on 9-3-2013 by MyHappyDogShiner because: Too many Jack n Cokes

posted on Mar, 9 2013 @ 10:39 PM
link   
There are a number of things that seperate humans from animals.

By no means an exhaustive list but the major differences are:

Our intellect
We have a soul
We have the capacity to worship God

posted on Mar, 9 2013 @ 10:40 PM
link   
reply to post by AQuestion

Morals are relative, therefore not clearly defined.
I think they are just an emotional anchor to a choice, an emotional influence on reason.
reply to post by SPECULUM

Thumbs are extremely important, and underrated in my opinion. But they are not exclusive to humans.
reply to post by ThinkingCap

Choice is a result of reason and logic.
reply to post by Akragon

Spirituality is not a quantifiable thing. It's not part of being a human. I think it is an emotional construct choking reason.
reply to post by facelift

I've seen a man raped by a dolphin, and I remember hearing in the news a baby raped by a dog.

posted on Mar, 9 2013 @ 10:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

You know what kind of frightens me Wrabbit. what if we as a species, have reached, or are close to reaching, the apex of our intellectual development and abilities. Look how poorly we've used those awesome gifts.

And, the other thing that is a bit disconcerting...animals still have that whole road in front of them. What if we turn out to be the defective species on this planet. And, they carry Earth's true destiny in their future.

Des

posted on Mar, 9 2013 @ 10:44 PM
link   
reply to post by MyHappyDogShiner

I am always pleased to see another person admit to not knowing much of anything.

I also know a whole lot of nothing.

posted on Mar, 9 2013 @ 10:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Destinyone

I guess the only consolation for that outcome is that it'll come long after both our lifetimes, so it's as if it'll never happen at all to us, right? (Well..Reincarnation sure is inconvenient at times..but that's another thread..lol)

That does make it a bit less sobering a thought ...as I've wondered something similar once or twice. We don't even know for certain what all the species are on Earth. They're still finding new ones on a fairly regular basis. Who is to say?

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join