It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Martial Law Declared in Chinese Province

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 31 2004 @ 10:45 PM
link   
NYTIMES article from OCT 31st...No Halloween Hoax......

www.nytimes.com... sition=

I wonder how Chinese Martial Law looks like and how different it would be from U.S. Martial Law...is there anywhere to read the U.S. Martial Law - Law?

posted on Oct, 31 2004 @ 11:03 PM
link   
I found this for you - gotta admit it surprised me quite a bit:

Two theories of martial law are reflected in decisions of the Supreme Court. The first, which stems from the Petition of Right, 1628, provides that the common law knows no such thing as martial law;194 that is to say, martial law is not established by official authority of any sort, but arises from the nature of things, being the law of paramount necessity, leaving the civil courts to be the final judges of necessity.195 By the second theory, martial law can be validly and constitutionally established by supreme political authority in wartime.

The rest of the article can be found here

My take on this - during times of war, insurrection, yada, yada, yada, the government can suspend the writ of hapeas corpus and basically do what they want. It does provide for certain judicial remedies, but does not provide for specific timeframes for review or specific sunset provisions.

B

posted on Oct, 31 2004 @ 11:09 PM
link   
During 9/11, why wasnt Martial Law officially declared?

I mean I understand you can say that the patriot act and homeland security is a form of Martial Law, but in a state of emergency in which thousands were killed, why didnt we see Martial Law?

posted on Oct, 31 2004 @ 11:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Simulacra
During 9/11, why wasnt Martial Law officially declared?

I mean I understand you can say that the patriot act and homeland security is a form of Martial Law, but in a state of emergency in which thousands were killed, why didnt we see Martial Law?

Martial law is an option not a mandate. The attacks brought out the best in people in this country not the worst. Had there been looting or riots or the attacks continued - then maybe. But as it was there was no need for it.

Personally, I don't ever want to see it. Too much power with no oversight or protections.

B.

posted on Nov, 1 2004 @ 10:12 PM
link   
surprising!
but i do have doubt in its authenticity,at least IMO the number has been seriouly exaggerated.in the middle of china(such as Henan province),Hui people often lives among the Han people,and accounts for a very small number,it is quite hard to find thousands of them in one area.how could a clash so big so as to caz 150 death.don't forget,the chinese people don't have guns,and the best weapon won't be better than knives.
i know some hui people,they are quite kind.i don't believe they can be aggressive.

posted on Nov, 1 2004 @ 11:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by suihx

i know some hui people,they are quite kind.i don't believe they can be aggressive.

I have seen even Buddhist monks riot just about any people have the ablity to act in a aggressive manner if pushed far enough

posted on Nov, 2 2004 @ 02:31 AM
link   
the numbers are wrong

there are more clear report from yahoo news

total number of dead was 7

people were fighting with clubs

and martial law was declared in just a county which is about a few villages

[edit on 2-11-2004 by white_raven0]

join