It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Outrage at deaths: 9/11; Tsunamis; Mass shootings etc.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 6 2013 @ 02:53 AM
link   
When 9/11 occurred, everybody was shocked. How dare someone kill *so many* people! It was shocking, not just to America, but to the world. The death toll was some 3000 people.

Then a tsunami occurs at some point in time and thousands die and everybody is shocked and thinks it oh so very horrible.

Then, a school shooting occurs and it's devastating and a dozen or so people are dead. Then an elementary school shooting occurs and the whole of America and the world is shocked at the fact that 20 little children were shot dead! 20! And they demand gun laws be changed!

But, having looked at the figures of deaths of children - America's faux outrage at their "death tolls" seems petty (not that the deaths of the children at Sandy Hook were trivial or that the deaths of anyone are trivial). But it still seems petty compared to the figures below.

In short, guess how many children die each year. Hundreds? Thousands?

No - over TEN MILLION children die each year. TEN MILLION!

And you expect me to be shocked into changing gun laws by the fact that 20 children have been shot dead by a problematic (crazy) individual effectively created by that country (USA) in which the shooting occurred?

TEN MILLION children a year.

So, next time you hear of many children shot dead - sure, be shocked and outraged. But, just take a moment from that shock and outrage and consider how many children die each year. Ask yourself why you're not even more shocked and outrage and up in arms about millions of children dying each year - instead of engaging in petty politics about gun laws because some *crazy* (that's right, crazy - is no-one allowed to be crazy anymore!) guy decided to get hold of weapons and kill nearly 2 dozen children.

Remember that. Remember the TEN MILLION the next time terrorists strike. Remember the TEN MILLION the next time an insane person conducts a mass shooting.

NOTE:

I do not condone any terrorist activities or school massacres. I do not accept the deaths of anyone. I do not treat the deaths of any human as trivial. I do not seek to trivialize any of the deaths mentioned above or, indeed, any deaths of humans. I merely seek to highlight the massive death toll of children that occur on this Planet every year - TEN MILLION is an astronomical number. Since the beginning of this century, well over 130 million children have died. That is about a 1/3 of the population of the USA. That is nearly five times the population of the UK. That is several times the population of several countries. That is nearly up to the entire population of the entire Russian Federation.

edit on 3/6/2013 by HomoSapiensSapiens because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 6 2013 @ 03:41 AM
link   
reply to post by HomoSapiensSapiens

Our response has less to do with the body count and more to do with:

1. The fact that there were children involved.

2. The fact that shootings were very personal to most Americans.Three buildings collapsing in New York? Well, that sucks, but it's outside of most people's social sphere. But a school and a movie theater? Most Americans can see that happening to them or someone they know.

3.) Our ability to respond as the public. Most people can't join the Army and find a terrorist, but they can cast a vote against guns.

...which is why, if Aurora/Sandy Hook were black bag ops, they were carried out in the first place; to give Americans a hands-on way to further an agenda, one that they would be happy to be a part of.

posted on Mar, 6 2013 @ 04:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Snsoc

I understand. This wasn't specifically against gun control or mass shootings - I just used those to highlight certain points.

Really, I guess I was trying to come to terms with the astronomical amounts of children that die each year. Having said that, however, nearly 60 million people die each year - the horrible thing is that most of the deaths of those children are entirely avoidable...

posted on Mar, 6 2013 @ 05:58 AM
link   
reply to post by HomoSapiensSapiens

Also millions of people are born each year. You do realise that the world population is increasing all the time.
That comment has nothing to do with guns, just a fact.
However I dont believe you should be handing back your guns because the government is obviously scared you may defend yourself with them.
Thats more reason to hang on to them. If they have an agenda that will change the world to such an extent that you need a gun to protect yourself then dont give them back, hide them, bury them whatever you need.
So long as you can get them if TSHTF. But with the paranoia they are creating I daresay a civilian is a big chance tofire the first shot which IMHO is exactly what they want.

top topics

join