It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

DHS Purchases 2,700 Light-Armored Tanks For Service On Streets of the US

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 01:04 PM
link   
reply to post by intrptr

The OP photo is of an off road, rough terrain, mine resistant vehicle for convoys in overseas mountain terrain or desert environments, not American cities. It doesn't explain the logos on the side. Too convenient for my taste.

the video I posted just above has the vehicle in full DHS colors...

and a DHS employee to give you a tour, too.

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 01:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hopechest
Tell me the scenario you envision where the government would go to war against its populace. Today in America.

Tell me how it would happen. This is the point many people fail to recognize.

Because people are slowly simmering in rage. And they will act when they have nothing left.

The .gov plans on this and is patiently waiting for the first move to come from an angry citizen determined to bring down this gov and institute one for the people.

Government wouldn't start the fight, only initiate the beginning stages through which people are angry enough to fight.

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 01:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by yourmaker

Tell me the scenario you envision where the government would go to war against its populace. Today in America.

Because people are slowly simmering in rage. And they will act when they have nothing left.

The .gov plans on this and is patiently waiting for the first move to come from an angry citizen determined to bring down this gov and institute one for the people.

Government wouldn't start the fight, only initiate the beginning stages through which people are angry enough to fight.

What people are simmering in rage?

Millions of them?

What issue?

Its not happening, if anything most of the nation is apathetic to everything going on around them.

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 01:10 PM
link   
Heres a commercial. Its the usual fuzzy, warm, propaganda. They could be selling Koolaid or shower stalls for all one can tell. Creepy undertones.

"Fourrr Werrrd"

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 01:10 PM
link   

reply to post by GeneralChaos

Its not clear.

*bah*

If we knew that, we could stop it.

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 01:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by butcherguy
reply to post by intrptr

The OP photo is of an off road, rough terrain, mine resistant vehicle for convoys in overseas mountain terrain or desert environments, not American cities. It doesn't explain the logos on the side. Too convenient for my taste.

Not quite. The OP photo is fitted desert fashion. Complete with RPG pre-detonation screens. The ONE I saw in your video is an MRAP and scary, sure. But I only saw the one. Its for swat transport. And a national team (DHS). The conjecture that one day they will be every town oppressing us is well, conjecture, right?

You did see the link in my post about 2717 vehicle upgrades for vehicles already in Afghanistan?

Not decrying the police state thats coming, Okay?
edit on 4-3-2013 by intrptr because: BB code

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 01:19 PM
link   
In the Birmingham civil rights movement of 1963, Bull Connor used to ride around in a small white tank that the city owned. He used it to intimidate the movement activists, but they just looked at him like he was crazy.

These tanks, very weird, especially with the armoring against explosions from the ground. What do they expect, one of The Avengers to go berserk and start destroying American cities?
edit on 4-3-2013 by Aleister because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 01:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrptr

Originally posted by butcherguy
reply to post by intrptr

Not quite. The OP photo is fitted desert fashion. Complete with RPG pre-detonation screens. The ONE I saw in your video is an MRAP and scary, sure. But I only saw the one. Its for swat transport. And a national team (DHS). The conjecture that one day they will be every town oppressing us is well, conjecture, right?

You did see the link in my post about 2717 vehicle upgrades for vehicles already in Afghanistan?

Not decrying the police state thats coming, Okay?
edit on 4-3-2013 by intrptr because: BB code

What do they need one MRAP for?
Where's the minefield?

Questions that I have put forward before.

it isn't like a SWAT team encounters minefields on their way to murder a family in their home.
Bulletproof? They already have APC's in the inventory of large city police departments.

As another poster said, these things are expensive. Where is the overwhelming need for one?

Is one enough to cover the entire country if this supposed need arises? We are talking about a federal department and it is a big country. How fast can they drive one of those from Texas to Maine?
They only have one, you know.

SWAT teams don't always have the time to drive cross-country to do their 'stuff'.
edit on 4-3-2013 by butcherguy because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 01:32 PM
link   
reply to post by butcherguy

What do they need one MRAP for?

Well they don't really. But you know the kind of mind set guys have that love to play army with all their camo and black plastic assault weapons and web gear? They need a Tonka Truck for driving 55 on the freeways too. He says it. These guys remind me of Killgore in Apocalypse Now.

Where's the minefield?

Any road in any country the US occupies overseas.

This truck is fitted for overseas, not US. The civilian version is for domestic use.

edit on 4-3-2013 by intrptr because: pic

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 01:34 PM
link   
Great discussion guys. I was trying to find out what the rough estimate of the cost of an MRAP and I found this from defenseindustrydaily.com:

Based on awarded contracts, MaxxPro’s price per base vehicle is around $520,000 – $550,000. The vehicles must then be fitted with electronics, IED jammers, and other equipment. That can add hundreds of thousands of dollars to that base price, before they’re sent to the front lines.

www.defenseindustrydaily.com...

So we're talking around $750k-$800k per! So if we say $750k x 2700, that's $2,025,000,000!!!!

I also found an article on trucktrend.com from September talking about retrofits and upgrades to 2,300 MRAP's in Afghanistan. Wonder if these are the same that are going to be used here or a completely different program all together?

Navistar Defense received an order today from the U.S. Army to retrofit 2300 Mine Resistant Ambush Protecteed vehicles with updated armor and equipment in response to changing conditions in Afghanistan. The $282 million order consists of retrofit kits that will be delivered and installed on-site in Afghanistan starting in December 2012. The order is expected to be completed by June 2013. More than 9000 MaxxPro MRAP units are in service among allied forces.

www.trucktrend.com...

On a much lighter note, I would love to hoon one of these things out in the mud and rough stuff. Maybe run over a couple old cars?

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 01:37 PM
link   
reply to post by intrptr

Well they don't really.

Thank you. Of course they don't need one.
They don't need more than one, either.

This truck is fitted for overseas, not US. The civilian version is for domestic use.

So the bottom of the DHS MRAP in the video is not tapered to deflect mine blasts? Not really an MRAP then, eh?
But it is an MRAP.

As far as the camo paint one in the OP photo, do you think that the DHS lettering has been photoshopped?

edit on 4-3-2013 by butcherguy because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 01:42 PM
link   

Beyond the vehicle, I found the following things troubling:
1) "...part of the El Paso Assert (thought that's what I heard) Team"
2) "...region is from El Paso to Midland Texas (okay, military fort and border area, but regions tend to imply the country was divided up and there are more teams)
3) "...when we enter a house" not dwelling, not encampment

So, we have DHS assert teams in regions around the country?

edit on 4-3-2013 by ibiubu because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 01:45 PM
link   
reply to post by intrptr

The vehicle says Department of Homeland Security on the side. It says Police/ Rescue and Special Response. Its number is 10 so I’m guessing it’s not the only one. Just my observation of course.
edit on 4-3-2013 by liveandletlive because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 01:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by ibiubu

Beyond the vehicle, I found the following things troubling:
1) "...part of the El Paso Assert (thought that's what I heard) Team"
2) "...region is from El Paso to Midland Texas (okay, military fort and border area, but regions tend to imply the country was divided up and there are more teams)
3) "...when we enter a house" not dwelling, not encampment

So, we have DHS assert teams in regions around the country?

edit on 4-3-2013 by ibiubu because: (no reason given)

That is what I was wondering about.
If these teams are for rapid response, well one MRAP doesn't quite cut it, does it.
I don't know. I know what I have seen of the FBI's Hostage Rescue Team (their sniper Lon Horiuchi, rescued Randy Weaver's wife- I mean they shot her dead while holding her baby), I don't like the idea.

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 02:00 PM
link   

reply to post by GeneralChaos

Its not clear.

First, I'll need you to show me where I said ANYTHING about ANYONE going to war with ANYONE.

Then, I'll be happy to answer your question.

The tactics and techniques you are using are quite transparant and are outing you for who you are.

edit to add:

below is a copy of the only interaction I have had with you or in this thead for that matter.
Just to make it easier on you and those who want to play along.
Notice how you asked a question/ demanded 'proof' and then I promptly did just that and then you quickly moved on to a diversionary tactic and created a strawman arguement?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As I stated earlier, these are probably being purchased for use in future overseas deployments, the DHS probably bought them because they had room in their budget.

If you can disprove that I'd be happy to entertain your conspiracies. Usually though, with rational thought, there is more than likely a reasonable explantion.

I don't know that it is anyone's job to prove or disprove ANYTHING to you but it seems pretty clear to me.

The Department of Homeland Security (through the U.S. Army Forces Command) recently retrofitted 2,717 of these ‘Mine Resistant Protected’ vehicles for service on the streets of the United States.

link

I can't make you see what you refuse to see though.
So........carry on.
How does that sand taste?

edit on 4-3-2013 by GeneralChaos because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 02:16 PM
link   
It's nice to see the Police Department spending all of our dough protecting themselves. The police fortifying themselves, building armies on American soil, in preparation for self defense?

Who authorizes this type of use of public funds?

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 05:09 PM
link   
reply to post by liveandletlive

The vehicle says Department of Homeland Security on the side. It says Police/ Rescue and Special Response. Its number is 10 so I’m guessing it’s not the only one. Just my observation of course.

Thats what you are supposed to see. They paint one vehicle and some blogger says thousands are ordered and everyone is in panic mode.
I only see one vehicle in the photo (or the video). The blog is bunk. The vehicle is fitted for overseas. Now, what do you see? Decals and INVAAASION?!

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 05:27 PM
link   
12 years after 9/11 and the government is still escalating it`s "need" for bigger and better toys to prevent terror attacks in america. what has happened in the last 12 years that suddenly makes the government feel the need to be buying these armored cars? has a terrorist used a landmine in america to blow something up?buying things like these aren`t defensive preparations for a terrorist attack these are offensive weapons to be used in a full scale war.

How would one of these things have prevented 9/11 or any of the other terrorist attacks that have happened in america? They wouldn`t have these are for offensive operations and are worthless in a defensive preventative role.

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 05:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrptr
reply to post by liveandletlive

Thats what you are supposed to see. They paint one vehicle and some blogger says thousands are ordered and everyone is in panic mode.
I only see one vehicle in the photo (or the video). The blog is bunk. The vehicle is fitted for overseas. Now, what do you see? Decals and INVAAASION?!

I have to ask the question.
Who put the decals on the side of this MRAP (fitted for overseas use)?
The Department of We'll Trick Someone into Thinking That This Vehicle Belongs to Homeland Security?
Then.... Why?

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 05:53 PM
link   

To keep you in line.

Look at the reaction you have from seeing one...

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join