It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

EI investigators' manual outlines tips to root out fraud Document suggests checking addresses, bank

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 2 2013 @ 07:24 AM
link   
www.cbc.ca...

CBC News has obtained documents that reveal Service Canada investigators were instructed to carry out exhaustive examinations of 1,200 randomly selected EI claimants, who were collecting regular benefits, or benefits relating to maternity or parental leave, compassionate care, sickness and work sharing. Investigators with the Integrity Services Branch were provided with a 23-page manual, dated October 2012, outlining investigative techniques intended to be used in a pilot project starting in November and winding up at the end of March. The document makes it clear the Service Canada employees are to leave no stone unturned in their inquiries, even in the absence of evidence that selected EI recipients had done anything wrong. The document suggests investigators check addresses, bank accounts, medical documents and even the physical appearance of claimants. The pilot project involves controversial home visits in which agents knock on the door of an EI claimant's home and ask for an interview on the spot, or deliver a letter to schedule a mandatory face-to-face meeting. The documents, obtained exclusively by CBC News, reveal Service Canada agents do much more than visit private residences. Investigators are told to seek out the claimants' former employer, and to select a sample of five prospective employers the EI recipient says he or she sought out for work opportunities. A check is to be made that the claimant really did make a job request, and employers are to be asked whether the claimant said the job was not suitable and if so, what reasons were given. One section says the address a former employer lists for the EI recipient is to be verified, and if there is "indication of (a) manipulated residential address, the integrity investigator may ... obtain from the financial institution a record of all deposits, locations and withdrawals."
Ok, this seems a bit extreme to me. I think the Harper Gov't is really trying to see how many rights they can take from Canadians before we start to push back. Take into consideration EI is paid into when you work by the worker and the business. They want to see your bank accounts, ID, check with former employers. This is getting really scary.
edit on 2-3-2013 by pigwithoutawig because: Posted source.

posted on Mar, 2 2013 @ 07:34 AM
link   
They suggest going to former employers and ask what you look like to verify it is you. How long before they print you and bring you in for a polygraph. Lol!!!!

posted on Mar, 2 2013 @ 07:41 AM
link   
reply to post by pigwithoutawig

seems fine to me

posted on Mar, 2 2013 @ 07:45 AM
link   
Yes.

Lets just let people keep taking advantage of a system that was created to HELP people.

posted on Mar, 2 2013 @ 07:46 AM
link   
reply to post by ignorant_ape

Did you read the whole article. If this seems fine to you your either not Canadian, or your just a blind Progressive Conservative. I don't see how it is fine.

Another section suggests a claimant's photo should be verified, or their name checked on utility bills or lease agreements that presumably must be handed over. An employer can be asked to describe the "physical characteristics" of the person who worked for them to see whether the description matches the EI claimant.

posted on Mar, 2 2013 @ 07:49 AM
link   
reply to post by TFCJay

Yeah but it's fine for the Senators to steal hundreds of thousands, their not entitled to because they signed a paper saying they are " Honerable Men" C'mon!!

posted on Mar, 2 2013 @ 07:50 AM
link   

everything you quote will only affect people making fraudulent claims - so whats the problem ?

posted on Mar, 2 2013 @ 07:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by pigwithoutawig
reply to post by TFCJay

Yeah but it's fine for the Senators to steal hundreds of thousands, their not entitled to because they signed a paper saying they are " Honerable Men" C'mon!!

What the hell does this have to do with the article?

Please, stay on topic.

posted on Mar, 2 2013 @ 07:53 AM
link   

you are falsely linking 2 irrelevant situations

posted on Mar, 2 2013 @ 07:55 AM
link   
reply to post by ignorant_ape

That's what they tell you. Oh , if your not doing anything wrong you have nothing to fear. Why should we have to fear our Gov't. Then after they've invaded your privacy it's, oh sorry you didn't cheat. We'll get rid of that info , trust us.

posted on Mar, 2 2013 @ 07:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by ignorant_ape

everything you quote will only affect people making fraudulent claims - so whats the problem ?

The problem is that somebody takes CBC's bias, anti-conservative crap as gospel.
edit on 2-3-2013 by TFCJay because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 2 2013 @ 08:00 AM
link   
reply to post by TFCJay

I'm sorry do you work in the PM's office.
edit on 2-3-2013 by pigwithoutawig because: spelling

posted on Mar, 2 2013 @ 08:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by pigwithoutawig
reply to post by TFCJay

I'm sorry do you work in the PM's office.
edit on 2-3-2013 by pigwithoutawig because: spelling

No. I am a surgeon. Today I am going to reverse your lobotomy.

posted on Mar, 2 2013 @ 08:53 AM
link   
reply to post by TFCJay

There is not that many people cheating EI and it shouldn't be the Gov'ts job to enforce it. It is not their money, as much as they like to think it is. If they want to save money ,start in their own house by getting rid of the useless Senate, before they hassle people that need what little money EI pays out now. I've seen EI changed so many times in my life and it never works. When are they going to get it right. I don't even know anyone on EI right now, thats saying something. Growing up I always knew someone on it. All their plan now is going to do is piss off a lot of people and make easy work for overpaid Federal workers. In the long run it's the stuff Harpers been doing recently that's going to hurt him. It seems this Gov't is always backpeddling. They did it with the jets, they did it with the internet and watch and see if they don't do it with the EI jackboots they have going around.

posted on Mar, 2 2013 @ 09:07 AM
link   
Really? You are complaining about these checks, all of which seem utterly reasonable, when in my country anti terror laws have been used to prevent parents lying about the catchment area they live in , so that thier kids cannot go to thier school of choice!

If this is the worst your government gets, with regard to privacy invasion and the removal of personal liberty, then you ought to just thank your lucky stars that you dont live in either the US or Britain. You would spend every second moment of your life having a rant and phoning amnesty international enough times a day to warrant a restraining order!

And to be fair, there have to be checks and balances in such a system, to ensure that people who require the service are not being fleeced by those who do not. I am quite sure that if significant fraud were revealed later on, you would be the first to complain at the lack of oversight of these schemes.

posted on Mar, 2 2013 @ 09:20 AM
link   
reply to post by TrueBrit

Yeah but your loss of rights in Britain started somewhere, it always starts somewhere. Like I said it seems Canada has been trying a lot lately to get their foot in the door , so to speak. They tried with the internet privacy act, but Canadians told them no. Now they want to use this. If you let them use EI to look into your private affairs it's not long till they use it as a precedent. Little by little.

posted on Mar, 2 2013 @ 09:31 AM
link   
a couple years ago 2 plus billion went missing from EI
iT DID NOT GO TO CLAIMENTS

(the money is someting we pay into and is not an entitlement BTW..its INSURANCE)

It went to insiders who scammed the job creation funds:
insiders quite probably like senators, or connected to senators, paying corporate kickbacks to people like senators...

Austerity is about reducing payouts to the bottom so the scammers at the top can steal even more from the folks at the bottom

It's so simple even an idiot who looks at the PIGs that proceed us on the curve should be able to see it clearly

also look at Iceland and how they are not doing so bad since they told the crooked bankers to jam it

posted on Mar, 2 2013 @ 09:40 AM
link   
reply to post by Danbones

BOOM!!! Now that's what I was trying to get across. Thankyou!!

new topics

top topics

join