It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

AHHH sick of elderly/tourist drivers here!

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 11:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by RobinB022
When people come in from out of state it is not possible for them to automatically know the driving habits of the area they are visiting or driving through.. and there are local habits.

No, There are local speed limits. They are posted everywhere. If they can't read them, they should not even be operating a motor vehicle.

Be mindful of one another.

Yeah that's the whole point, they are not mindful about anyone while driving. ~$heopleNation
edit on 1-3-2013 by SheopleNation because: TypO

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 11:46 AM
link   
Just from reading the title of your thread, I knew you lived in Florida. First, let me say I am sorry. I understand how you feel. A good friend of mine lives in Coral Gables and when I visit her I see what you are talking about. I also live it to some extent. I live in Annapolis and we get lots of the old Navy guys retiring here. First thing they do is buy the biggest damned car they can find. If we are extremely unfortunate, they also buy the biggest travel trailer or RV and motor boat. Let me tell you - there is very little that can beat the excitment of one of these idiots driving down the street and hitting a utility pole AND a fire hydrant. All made even better by the fact that my then 7 year old daughter was playing in her friend's front yard and got drenched by the water from the run-over hydrant. Ah, good times! I don't even want to think what the idiots are like out on the water. Take care of yourself. I hope that nothing remotely like this happens again to you, especially with the pregnancy. Keep safe.

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 08:01 PM
link   
mblahnikluver,

First of all, glad to hear you survived your run in with the elderly - shame the cart didn't make it though

Out here in Michigan (at least in my area), I have three kinds of "old" drivers:
1. The "Sunday Driver": Be warned, you do not want to get stuck behind them. They see the beauty in every moment (including their driving), to the point where they are oblivious to the surrounding environment. Upon passing them, you can still see the sparkle of their eyes as they look everywhere but in front of them.

2. The "OMG, there's water on the road; I'm soo going to die!" Drivers: You don't ever want to get stuck behind these drivers, as they usually slow down (in some cases, down to 10 MPH in a 50 MPH zone when the road is slightly wet). They apparently have all the time in the world to get from point A to B (must be nice). You try to pass, and they will usually glare or show their brights after you do so. They also will not respond to any tactics (including ones from their era - such as flashing the brights), to get them to budge.

3. The "[explicit] you whippersnapper" Drivers: This kind of driver encompasses those that meet the following requirements:

1. Elderly that think they can do everything a "kid" can do in the car (such as talk on the phone, smoke, drive with one hand).

2. Constantly blows through lights, speeds above the speed limit (normally, this isn't bad - but 30 mph above is a bit extreme), or swears & curses (including shaking their fists at other drivers).

3. Tends to "forget" about the crosswalks or stop signs, especially around malls & shopping centers (it's almost like they think they are God).

4. Likes to "teach" us young folk a lesson by manipulating their speed (slowing down on purpose to get us to slow down, then speeding through a light)

My advice for them: Stay behind them, as having one on your butt will have you fearing for you life in mere seconds. I once had one follow me to my destination, only to tell me that they thought it was unfair that I passed them 8 miles back.

I'm all for passing a bill requiring mandatory driving tests beyond a certain age - or building cars that can drive themselves (with the speed limit being the minimum). Of course, when I get to be their age, I'll probably meet the profile for driver # 3 on my list

-Fossilera

PS: There is a 4th category called "Normal Drivers" - not many elderly meet that category though.

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 08:27 PM
link   
reply to post by fossilera

It's so true about the elderly drivers that drive 25 in a 45 mile an hour zone cause they see you behind them, then they run a stop sign or speed up and run a red light right in front of you. Happens to me almost every single day.

And you know, I am not trying to be cruel to these folks, I will be old one day and I am sure it's hard when you're that age to drive. The entire point is that there needs to be annual testing once you get over 65 years of age.

However like I said before, The greedy Department of Motor Vehicles and their Lords in the State Governments don't want to throw away the billions of dollars in annual vehicle registration fee's. So instead, they increase traffic nationwide and also put the public at risk all in name of not losing another buck. ~$heopleNation

posted on Mar, 2 2013 @ 12:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheGreazel
Greetings ATS

Last weekend i was driving on the Freeway in my country , in my country we dont have the keep your lane rule and we can only pass other vehicles on the left lane , i usually drive 10 km above the speed limit on the freeway , so im am passing cars like a boss.

Them all off the sudden this phat BMW came out of nowhere , and hugged my car while i was driving 130 KM , he was driving one meter behind me , if i would brake just a little bit he would ram me off the road..

So i turned on my alarm lights to warn him to back off , i looked in my mirror and saw this elderly couple , the male driver raised his middle finger.

When i saw this something snapped... i took my foot of the gas , and stopped my car , yes in the middle of the Freeway , all traffic came to a halt , i got out of my car , walked to my trunk and got out a iron baseball bat i keep in my car for protection.

I walked calmly to this BMW , when i got their i asked them to turn down the window , they refused , he said we can talk through the glass.
So i said to him if you are gonna Denie my existence or if you think i am merely collateral damage we are gonna have a real problem , the only way you are getting past me now is over my corpse , i told him if he would drive normal and thought about other people's safety on the road we would have no problem , but instead you only made it worse while i tried to warn you , he then told me he was in a hurry yada yada , yeah yeah like that gives you the right to put yourself above others and put ME in danger.

I see this a lot in my country , Elderly people driving big cars , who dont give a @$%# about any one else.

Even though my European Country has a good infrastructure and Driving Schooling , the people drive like mindless zombies , and in lots of situations with traffic coming from multiple directions they just freeze and panic.

I love Driving though , on my work i occasionally have to park trailers and trucks infront of Docking bays , because it is private property i dont need a truck licence , my boss told me how the controls work and threw me in the deep after one hour , but i quickly learned my self how to drive and park trucks and trailers using the mirrors only , now i park them in a straight line on the first attempt.

TheGreazel
edit on 1-3-2013 by TheGreazel because: 130 KM not MPH

You rock dude.

posted on Mar, 2 2013 @ 07:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by mblahnikluver
I live in the retirement capital of the US and tourist central for the area.

So what are we...Mindreaders, where is this "Capital"...Florida? Get used to it buddy, those retirees support your State and without them you'd still be sitting in a swamp down there, what people in Florida need is a good dose of State Income Tax.

posted on Mar, 2 2013 @ 09:37 AM
link   
reply to post by mblahnikluver

I know how you feel,trust me.My husband and I were driving to the
shooting range.This little old lady, with coke-bottle glasses,pulled
out right in front of us!

posted on Mar, 2 2013 @ 04:48 PM
link   
A couple days ago I saw an elderly driver driving 35 in a 70 on the interstate, he almost caused the car in front of me, between us, to get over in front of a semi. Where are the cops when you need them, isn't there a minimum speed limit on highways?

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 10:05 AM
link   
reply to post by mblahnikluver

I'm in Plant City, and right now, the Strawberry Festival is going on...so I4 is a nightmare around my area.
Luckily, I can get off a few exits early and take backroads to bypass it home for a bit.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join