It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Caribbean Could be in Trouble- 5.1 just hit, Among Expanding, Vast Swarm of Quakes

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 26 2013 @ 12:20 PM
link   

posted on Feb, 26 2013 @ 12:20 PM
link   

posted on Feb, 26 2013 @ 12:22 PM
link   
Star and Flag TA.

I think your thread is important for a couple of reasons.

First, after what happened in Haiti, any area in the Carribean should be very careful. That part of the world simply does not have the same building codes as say LA or Tokyo. We don't want this to happen again:

www.google.com... 880

Secondly, if the USGS shows this area has some potential, then that area should be of concern whenever a 5.0 or larger eq hits, regardless of the swarm. And the USGS does show this area having some concern (also, the this pic also shows the Serious fault lines in the area, note Subduction Zone), plus a swarm, plus a 5.0:

neic.usgs.gov...

And last, TA is on top of his game when it comes to seismos, and eq knowledge. Much respect to his work.

Hope this does not turn into something bad.

Thanks for the thread.

Peace

posted on Feb, 26 2013 @ 12:23 PM
link   
(Self Snip before being snipped...)

I just noticed the mod'ing to the thread. My apologies for adding to a problem to whatever extent I did.
edit on 26-2-2013 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 26 2013 @ 12:24 PM
link   
Ok, I will leave it at this. Earthquake swarms are NOT precursors to bigger quakes. These swarms actually let pressure escape, thus, making an increasingly bigger quake not possible.

posted on Feb, 26 2013 @ 12:29 PM
link   
reply to post by TrueAmerican

You seem to keep an eye on these things pretty well. The people "officially" studying these can't say anything even though they feel something may be brewing because if they create panic and nothing happens they get reprimanded. What you are doing is just letting people know to be aware that something could happen. I actually wish that our countries paid people would do this when the chances of a larger event are more likely. People will get used to alerts even though most events will not materialize. Noone can accurately predict how severe an earthquake will be but I think some prediction of increased chances can be predicted. I feel It would be nice to know if there is a more than average chance. You could know not to leave stuff where it can get broken and people can be more set up to be in a more secure location if the chances are greater.

posted on Feb, 26 2013 @ 12:29 PM
link   
reply to post by lasertaglover

Excellent points. And thanks for the support all.

Note also that we just had what appears to be a late aftershock in Haiti, too.

UPDATE: Quake came in at 5.1, was revised down to 5.0, and now it has been revised BACK UP to 5.1.

EDIT also: Depth revised to 8 km, which is still, even after review, WAY TOO SHALLOW for that spot.
edit on Tue Feb 26th 2013 by TrueAmerican because: (no reason given)

And some people just don't get it, it seems. The rules have changed after Japan. There was a small swarm of quakes prior to the massive 9+. In researching the massive quake (biggest in history) 9.5 in Chile, there were foreshocks before it too. And in the OP here, we just saw the foreshocks with my mentioned thread about Santa Cruz Islands. Ample foreshocks before 8.0.

So no, don't listen anymore peoples to the BS that swarms can't lead to bigger quakes. It's not true. They CAN, they HAVE, and they WILL continue to, in a certain percentage of quakes. Will they here in this case? I DON'T KNOW!!!

posted on Feb, 26 2013 @ 01:04 PM
link   
You mean this one

Another interesting thread from TA.

posted on Feb, 26 2013 @ 01:15 PM
link   
If anyone watches the video, "Monster Quake, Are We There Yet," which was done after the Japan quake, they will see a program, loaded with USGS and other scientists saying, everyhing we thought was wrong and we're back to the drawing board. The experts have admitted, they didn't have it figured out, and we have seen the swarms lead to bigger quakes, very recently. Keep up the good work TA!!

posted on Feb, 26 2013 @ 02:22 PM
link   
While the magnitude isn't unheard of, it's location & depth strike me offhand as oddball for the Caribbean. This is worth watching; as a data whole, this one is somewhat out of the normal, and could be forewarning for the area. Shallow in a deep quake zone = abnormal.

edit on 2/26/2013 by Nyiah because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 26 2013 @ 02:29 PM
link   
Interesting TA....does the depth indicate possible subduction type tsunami action?
I have no idea what stresses may be building, but could the 5.er have maybe cooled them down instead of increasing them?

Or do you have the feeling its a foreshock?

posted on Feb, 26 2013 @ 02:36 PM
link   

Thanks.

Now, you mentioned that eq over in Haiti...was that an aftershock of this 5.1/0? Or would the Haiti one be an aftershock still from the big Haiti eq? And what stations would be the closest if we wanted to monitor ourselves? Much appreciated.

Peace

posted on Feb, 26 2013 @ 02:44 PM
link   
reply to post by lasertaglover

There's a few, but a lot of the stations don't work- but hey, give it a try:

IU.SJG Puerto Rico
CU network has some stations
DR network has some too.
Oh yeah PR network too, but bad problems on that network...

And yeah, I think the 3+ was probably an aftershock of the big Haiti quake a while back.

EDIT: Here's the trace on webi from the USGS's phase data- first station listed:
www.iris.edu...

posted on Feb, 26 2013 @ 03:00 PM
link   

Agreed. Japan changed a lot of thinking, I believe. I grew up in Southern California, listening to the warnings after every moderate quake that "More COULD come....and fore-shocks DO happen.." just to see it never actually happen and nothing ever come to beat the quake that got everyone's attention in the first place.

As you note, now we have seen an extended period of small fore-shocks leading to not just a large quake but a catastrophic size quake. Where once I laughed at people saying "but but but...more could come!" due to my life experience? Now I quietly watch and pay attention because it HAS now happened for all to see personally and odds are, it WILL happen again. Just a question of where and when for how large a jolt, eh?

posted on Feb, 26 2013 @ 03:08 PM
link   
More histrionics, I agree with the earlier poster. The op has never been right in any of his prognostications. Makes this site seem cheap and taudry with each thread. Oh well. I am sure using one of the many handles this will get alerted too. I wonder if the site owners will ever catch on or if they even care. Took me all of about a week to figure it out.

posted on Feb, 26 2013 @ 03:14 PM
link   
reply to post by soundguy

Not sure what you mean? I do not see an issue with people disagreeing about their point of views, the personal attacks are entertaining but?

posted on Feb, 26 2013 @ 03:14 PM
link   
reply to post by soundguy

Not sure what you mean? I do not see an issue with people disagreeing about their point of views, the personal attacks are entertaining but?

posted on Feb, 26 2013 @ 03:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by soundguy
More histrionics, I agree with the earlier poster. The op has never been right in any of his prognostications. Makes this site seem cheap and taudry with each thread. Oh well. I am sure using one of the many handles this will get alerted too. I wonder if the site owners will ever catch on or if they even care. Took me all of about a week to figure it out.

Here....I am about to serve you a fat piece of HUMBLE pie!!

www.abovetopsecret.com...

But I highly doubt you would take a bite

This thread hit the prognostication nail on the head.

Read and learn...before you vomit your ignorance on this thread

posted on Feb, 26 2013 @ 04:30 PM
link   
I guess the question one must ask oneself: Is it better to be on the alert to something that may not happen at all, or to keep your head stuck in the sand (or somewhere else) and find yourself caught devastatingly unaware.

Keep up the good work, TA!! Call 'em as you see 'em!
edit on 26-2-2013 by Jansy because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 26 2013 @ 04:45 PM
link   

When I was visiting Santo Domingo, there was a volcano crater right in town. Im fact I was in the cave right next to it.

edit on 26-2-2013 by elouina because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join