It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Question about Karma

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 25 2013 @ 09:25 PM
link   
How does it exactly work? I've seen some people with a high amount of stars have low karma. If someone could explain it, that'd be great.

posted on Feb, 25 2013 @ 09:30 PM
link   
reply to post by blahxd67

Briefly, the people with low karma probably had many posts.
There's a "divide by the number of posts" element somewhere in the formula.
Whereas "w" is accumulative, so it just keeps going up.

posted on Feb, 25 2013 @ 09:30 PM
link   

Its a secret
good question

posted on Feb, 25 2013 @ 10:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by DISRAELI

Briefly, the people with low karma probably had many posts.
There's a "divide by the number of posts" element somewhere in the formula.
Whereas "w" is accumulative, so it just keeps going up.

Thanks for the response. I think I have a clearer understanding of it now.

posted on Feb, 25 2013 @ 10:36 PM
link   

The answer is simple.

The Universe is NOT FAIR....or....You are placing too much faith in your ability to judge who has a good amount of Karma or not.

Trying to determine if a person has either good Karma, bad Karma...or litte or alot...is like trying to determine if a book is good by looking at the binding.

What YOU believe are things in a person that have value...are not what another believes have value or the person themselves.

The best way to gain alot of Good Karma is not worry about another has...just worry about yourself.

Split Infinity

posted on Feb, 25 2013 @ 10:43 PM
link   
I don't know how it works,but here is some sort of explanation from the wizard......

As many have noticed, a new "KARMA" parameter has been added to the mini-profiles... and perhaps because of some of the comments in this thread, I moved-up the integration plan a bit. First... the "WATS" score. I know many believe there to be some controversy or at the least, unfairness, in the method of calculation for the "Way Above Top Secret" ranking. The concerns/comments/ideas have not been ignored, but since the intent is to apply a heavy statistical weight to those who start threads, I believe the oft-discussed formula serves that purpose well, but may be refined as a result of the KARMA rank in order to place a much higher value on flags. However, there are lots of members who contribute well, but may not start many threads; the KARMA score is for them. The karma calculation places a high weight on stars, a secondary weight on staff applause, and a tertiary lesser-weight on Flags; then compares all that against the number of posts. So that it is indeed possible for a new member with few threads, but great ideas in lots of replies, to achieve a higher "KARMA" than long-time high-WATS members.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Feb, 26 2013 @ 01:04 AM
link   
reply to post by kdog1982

Perfect. Thank you Kdog

posted on Feb, 26 2013 @ 01:10 AM
link   
I'm told if you kill a young goat, smear it's blood around the door and window frames of the room you are in, paint three very specific glyphs on the wall with the rest of the blood - and then say a bunch of stuff in Latin - the Devil appears and grants you any wish you desire.

If you ask him what Karma stands for? He goes blank for a second and then offers you two wishes if you'll just not ask about what Karma stands for again.

IE it's math and I always hated math.

Generally speaking the above folks have it right. It's got to do with the ratio of posts to stars - the exact formula is posted somewhere in a thread that SkepticOverlord did when the ATS 2010 upgrade happened. But, again, it was math so I shrugged and went off looking for shiny things rather than reading.

posted on Feb, 26 2013 @ 10:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hefficide

I'm told if you kill a young goat, smear it's blood around the door and window frames of the room you are in, paint three very specific glyphs on the wall with the rest of the blood - and then say a bunch of stuff in Latin - the Devil appears and grants you any wish you desire.

If you ask him what Karma stands for? He goes blank for a second and then offers you two wishes if you'll just not ask about what Karma stands for again.

IE it's math and I always hated math.

Generally speaking the above folks have it right. It's got to do with the ratio of posts to stars - the exact formula is posted somewhere in a thread that SkepticOverlord did when the ATS 2010 upgrade happened. But, again, it was math so I shrugged and went off looking for shiny things rather than reading.

I hate math too. Not one of my stronger areas.

posted on Nov, 5 2013 @ 04:41 PM
link   
could this not be based on the threads (topics) you view vs post in ????????????????

top topics

join