It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Farmer's Almanac

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 25 2013 @ 06:03 PM
link   
I remember as a child that my grandmother would always be chomping at the bit to get her new farmer's almanac. She would check to see what sign things were in before doing her planting. She would tell people when their babies would be born if they were pregnant. Anything and everything went "by the signs", meaning the astrological readings. She was a true believer!

As I grow older, I feel drawn toward it due to those memories. I always have to sneak a peak to see if it's the right time for planting (although I don't always abide by what it says). Regardless, come Good Friday, rain, snow or shine, we're putting those potatoes in the ground!! I still get choked up every year too and we all share our memories of my Granny's conversations as we were just little kids going behind the grownups and covering up the potatoes. Almost brings a tear to my eye even now.

Does anyone else have memories of an elder who swore by the almanac and followed it to the letter?

Definitely the most prominent "folklore" in my life and one that holds a special place in my heart.

posted on Feb, 25 2013 @ 06:07 PM
link   
reply to post by kthxbai

Oh yea! S&F for reminding me OP!

My dad used to look at it for the moon phases to see if it would be good for fishing or not on a day we planned on going.

I must say, that it was pretty accurate on whether or not the fishing would be good or not.

posted on Feb, 25 2013 @ 06:08 PM
link   
reply to post by kthxbai

I dont know about signs, but I can always tell when my female friends are pregnant. I knew my best mate was up the duff before she, or her doctor, or indeed a pregnancy test could have told her. Also, when I did used to plant seeds, I used to just plant and grow things. No thinking, just love the plant you place the the soil and watch it flourish.

Same with baking, building, hiking and all the rest. Just observe, and act.

posted on Feb, 25 2013 @ 06:11 PM
link   
reply to post by kthxbai

Not everything in the almanac was folk lore and conjecture. There was a lot of factual information in there that had nothing to do with signs.
The weather section was pretty accurate and had nothing to do with wooly caterpillars
I enjoyed reading it too and I never lived in a rural area. There were some good stories in there too. .

posted on Feb, 25 2013 @ 06:20 PM
link   
reply to post by TrueBrit

Pregnancy tests can tell you before you've missed a period these days. I doubt there are any outward signs within the first seven days that you are noticing. Sorry, I could be wrong and you could be psychic. I knew before I tested because my boobs hurt like hell but I had my kids before they had these new tests that can find HCG at the lowest levels. Back then you needed to be two weeks late before you could even take the test. Now you can take it a week before you expect your period. The female cycle is always 14 days from ovulation to the beginning of a woman's period. If a woman has a longer cycle or a varying cycle the difference is always in the beginning of the cycle before ovulation. That's why the rhythm method is not good birth control. Anyway after ovulation it is always 14 days and these new tests can tell you after only 7 days if you are preggers or not. If you can do it sooner than that there are women all over the world that want to be your friend. No offense intended.

posted on Feb, 25 2013 @ 06:22 PM
link   
reply to post by TrueBrit

I am a gardener too. All my fingers are green. I can even take roadside plants and make them a home in my garden if I want it to grow there. There is much enjoyment in working in the soil. I'd rather garden than do housekeeping.

posted on Feb, 25 2013 @ 06:25 PM
link   
reply to post by seeker1963

Yeah but the moon phases are based on science not signs. The fish dont read the almanac but they live under the moon just like we do.

posted on Feb, 25 2013 @ 06:34 PM
link   
Yes, growing up in farm country everyone had their bible and their almanac, sometimes they were the only 2 books around! Even now I find myself with it in hand, especially this time of year.

The funny part is that now I live so far north, it doesn't even work anymore. It is really just a nostalgic thing.

posted on Feb, 25 2013 @ 07:10 PM
link   
reply to post by karen61560

Do you know what they call a girl who uses the rhythm method?
MOMMY

posted on Feb, 25 2013 @ 07:23 PM
link   
Haven't bought one in years but this thread is reminding me how enjoyable I first found them. I thinks I might have to make a stop at Barnes and Noble tomorrow.

does everyone have a favorite version, I know there are a few key companies that publish a version and they all don't jive as far as dates go...

posted on Feb, 25 2013 @ 07:29 PM
link   
They still have them here at the counter of my little store I go to.
I use to buy them,now I just flip through it as I'm waiting.

They are online now.......

www.farmersalmanac.com...

posted on Feb, 25 2013 @ 08:21 PM
link   
reply to post by kthxbai

When I was a kid the Farmer's Almanac was always on the kitchen table. Next to the Holy Bible it was the most important book in the house, and it seemed like Granny and my great aunt and uncle salivated when they knew that the next years almanac would be out soon. In addition to the actual almanac there was also a calender on the wall that came from a local pharmacy that was in essence a Farmer's Almanac in a calender form (I still use the same pharmacy, but alas no more almanac style calenders). All the planting was done in accordance with the almanac, as well as breeding of animals and planning of hunting and fishing trips.
Back then the almanac was always free, but nowdays they cost as much as a paperback. It's a shame.

posted on Feb, 25 2013 @ 08:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by littled16
reply to post by kthxbai

When I was a kid the Farmer's Almanac was always on the kitchen table. Next to the Holy Bible it was the most important book in the house, and it seemed like Granny and my great aunt and uncle salivated when they knew that the next years almanac would be out soon. In addition to the actual almanac there was also a calender on the wall that came from a local pharmacy that was in essence a Farmer's Almanac in a calender form (I still use the same pharmacy, but alas no more almanac style calenders). All the planting was done in accordance with the almanac, as well as breeding of animals and planning of hunting and fishing trips.
Back then the almanac was always free, but nowdays they cost as much as a paperback. It's a shame.

Yeah, I remember those calendars too! They had the moon phases on them and other information. Great memories

posted on Feb, 25 2013 @ 11:14 PM
link   
Remember looking through those things at my grandmas house. I always thought they held so e magical power as a kid. I loved it! Thanks for the link KDog. I feel like looking through one all over again, maybe I'll even feel a little magic like I used too....

posted on Feb, 26 2013 @ 05:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by kdog1982
They still have them here at the counter of my little store I go to.
I use to buy them,now I just flip through it as I'm waiting.

They are online now.......

www.farmersalmanac.com...

Great link! Thanks! Star for you

top topics

join