It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Darkness can cure a lazy eye and improve vision

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 25 2013 @ 01:27 AM
link   
It seems that keeping the eyes in darkness 'resets' the eye and allows it to fix its lazy eye. This is an interesting study. Sleeping in complete darkness for better rest, for the brain to produce more melatonin, and now for helping to improve vision...

Link

Duffy and his colleagues noticed several years ago that kittens with one impaired eye had smaller cells connecting to that eye in the brain, but that putting the animals in the dark seemed to change that trait. Did the darkness actually cure the kittens' "lazy eyes"?

To find out, the researchers studied several kittens, keeping one eye shut in each animal for a week and then letting the felines roam for several weeks with both eyes open, effectively creating a lazy eye.

Researchers then put the kittens, along with their littermates and moms, into a completely dark room.

"When I say dark, I mean really dark," Duffy told LiveScience. "There are zero photons of light. It's not like going and closing your windows or drapes."

After 10 days, the kittens emerged from the darkness. Over the course of several weeks, researchers found that the animals were completely cured of their amblyopia.

posted on Feb, 25 2013 @ 01:28 AM
link   
reply to post by arpgme

I live in the darkness with one eye open and one shut. I see all.

posted on Feb, 25 2013 @ 01:55 AM
link   
Years ago a new a guy at school who wore an eye patch over his eye. It was for a lazy eye. It did correct it. That was about 30 years ago.

And they finally admit that it works?

posted on Feb, 25 2013 @ 05:08 AM
link   
I have exceptional eyesight. There are no measurements that I can give you to attest to that, save to say that I can pick out detail levels at all distances that make people with regular twenty twenty vision boggle at me in mild wonderment.

Contrary to advice from my elders, as a young boy I used to read by moonlight, which I was told would strain my eyes and make them weak. Well they arent weak. Another benifit of my predeliction for a midnight read, is that in near pitch darkness, and even better, in moonlight, I can find my way around perfectly.

Proof positive of this, came about two or three years back, during summer. We had a powercut that blacked out not just our road, but a whole swathe of the borough, stretching from our end of the borough, right up until the lip of the town proper. After placing candles around our home for the benifit of my mother and my sister (I found the candles, the matches, and placed them all without a torch), I decided to go and find out what the extent of the problem was, to see if the issue ended at the bottom of the road, or if it was a wider problem.

I should explain that my wardrobe consists largely on variations on a theme of inky blackness. This has bearing on what I am about to explain. As I proceeded to the end of our road, it became clear that the extent of the blackout was rather larger than in other incidents that we had seen previously. As I turned into the road that runs parrallel to the seafront road, I saw that it too, was blacked out, and because, due to the situation of the road and the houses on either side of it, I could see that for quite some distance towards town, there appeared to be not one single light shining.

I carried on, setting off toward town centre. Presently ,people started comming out of thier houses with torches and lanterns, to see wether they were alone in thier lack of lighting. One family had decided to walk the dog, flashlight in hand, picking thier way past lamp posts and telegraph poles with care. Knowing that I was dressed from head to foot in black, and had my hair down over my face, I elected to announce my presence with a cheery hello. When I was twenty feet from them, and able to see the hair on chin of the male leader of the family, I greeted them in that manner, and was replied to in a collection of gasps from the kids, a scream from the mother, and an exclamation roughly approximating "BLOODY HELL!" from the father. They, despite being armed with powerful led flashlights, had utterly failed to see me, where as I, despite the glare from thier torches, was able to make out the details of thier faces.

It was very eerie being able to see the expressions on thier faces, as they looked left and right, trying to see where the voice they had heard was comming from. The beams of thier torches passed over me several times, but due to the inky hue of my attire, they were unable to fix thier lights upon my location. Eerie it was, but also somewhat liberating. I told them "Black as pitch out here tonight... sorry if I startled you!" at which point the father finally managed to pin me with the beam of his light, although he was kind enough to avoid shining it right into my eyes. He realised that he was one of the customers I regularly serve in the shop my family runs, and exclaimed "Oh! Its YOU!" before agreeing that yes, it was pretty dark this night, and he wondered out loud how long it would be before the lights came back on. Adding that he would hope it wouldnt be too long, he and his brood said thier good byes, and we passed on our seperate ways.

I walked two and three quater miles in the darkness, the only lights visible being occasional glimpses of the centre of town, caught as I passed a gap between houses, and the light pollution haze above the town. Some become overly fearful of the dark, not knowing what is out there, the fear of the unknown chewing upon thier marrow with cold, sharp teeth. I found my way perfectly, and felt totally at home. I could even read the bus time tables at the stops I passed, this in spite of the small size of the font they use, which they get away with despite its utter uselessness where the partially sighted are concerned. I have always loved the dark , but this was the first time that I had been able to use that love to get me from A to B, in circumstances that were confounding others. I passed several walkers who had managed to loose themselves in spite of thier carrying torches , and pointed them back on thier way during that stroll. Having gone those two and three quater miles, I found the edge of the effected area, along with a dose of dissapointment. Being as close as I was to town, I decided to go and visit a friend, consume beers, and wag the chin about the expirience. It was the most fun I have had, without being drunk, since I was perhaps five years old.

posted on Feb, 25 2013 @ 11:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by magma
Years ago a new a guy at school who wore an eye patch over his eye. It was for a lazy eye. It did correct it. That was about 30 years ago.

And they finally admit that it works?

actually eye patching is a commonly used way to correct lazy eye depending on the cause(as the OPs article says). i dont see how this is a new admission.

a patch is placed on the normal eye. This forces the brain to recognize the image from the eye with amblyopia. Sometimes, drops are used to blur the vision of the normal eye instead of putting a patch on it.

link

edit on 2/25/2013 by homeskillet because: (no reason given)

edit on 2/25/2013 by homeskillet because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 25 2013 @ 11:37 AM
link   
I have amblyopia.

While I haven't been to an eye doctor in some years, was previously told there's
nothing they can do. This is exciting, however at my age, wondering if it's "too late".

I'll have to do some more research.

Thanks.

posted on Feb, 25 2013 @ 11:48 AM
link   
reply to post by elevatedone

no one ever recommended anything? no patching, glasses or surgery? or none of those worked? i'm not going to ask your age but i'm pretty sure someone i know in their late 50s had patching done as a child (and it worked) so the therapy's been around a while.

posted on Feb, 25 2013 @ 11:56 AM
link   
I was diagnosed with a lazy eye and they had me doing exercises which gave me headaches and the eye doctors always try to give me corrective lenses which give me headaches. I think they are nuts. I can utilize the lazy eye and see in two directions well if I want to. I can keep my eye on something and look at things that are shielded from what I am looking at. Maybe that is not an allowable thing in society nowadays, they want you to not see what is happening around you. I am a fluke of nature that has developed the ability to see things other than what I am looking at. This deceptive society needs to be worried about people who can focus on multiple things, they have to keep the blinders on their citizens

posted on Feb, 25 2013 @ 12:01 PM
link   
reply to post by rickymouse

you must be a fluke because they say your brain usually shuts off the info from the bad eye. you eventually lose vision in that eye.

posted on Feb, 25 2013 @ 12:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by homeskillet
reply to post by rickymouse

you must be a fluke because they say your brain usually shuts off the info from the bad eye. you eventually lose vision in that eye.

I'm 57 and I think they are full of crap. I could check a girl out passing with one eye when walking with the Ex. I got clubbed with a purse a couple of times for doing that, she knew I could do it. I guess telling your wife too much about yourself is not a good thing to do

When I get real tired I can lose control of it and it shuts off. The people who are researching this can't believe anything that contradicts their knowledge I guess. When I was real young I didn't have control of it, it took years of living to be able to utilize this.

posted on Aug, 1 2017 @ 04:43 PM
link   
lazy eyes don't exist. It is an effect caused by the NATO MKULTRA intelligence neurological and biological manipulation program and as such should be treated. Lazy eye is due to the manipulation of parts of the brain that lead to malfunction of the focus function of the eyelid. This is another western orchestrated fake illness. It's an aggression of the intelligence against the people of the west.

new topics

top topics

join