It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Your 4X4 Vehicle

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 23 2013 @ 09:41 PM
link   
No offense but, where are you going to drive those 4X4 at when all the roads look like this:

I suppose you could drive next to the road if there isn`t a guardrail but what do you do when you get to a bridge?

The next time you go out driving pay attention to how many small "bridges" you go over and pay attention to what is actually along the side of the roads, I think you`ll be surprised at how many impassable places there are along the side of the roads.

edit on 23-2-2013 by Tardacus because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 24 2013 @ 04:24 AM
link   
The Jeep with a lift and lockers is about as good as it gets. You can go all out depending on budget. It still will require fuel and that might be an issue when the SHTF.

Horses are my tribes choice. As long as you keep them fed and watered, a horse is versatile and proven.

Since this is a SHTF auto show I will throw out the Marauder.

posted on Feb, 24 2013 @ 04:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Tardacus

thats kind of the point of the 4x4, the ability to drive off road and avoid things like that traffic jam, go places where a non 4x4 could go...

as for the op, id go with a rally fighter.

eta Ive been rock crawling with my buddies, you would be amazed what a properly outfitted 4x4 can do and what it can get past.
edit on 24-2-2013 by benrl because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 24 2013 @ 04:43 AM
link   
Horse FTW. Fuel for it is ample and it doesn't need a road or even a trail.

If you live in the city consider a dual sport motorcycle. You get farther on a tank of gas and I always felt it did a better job off-roading than a jeep (I've felt more confident on steep slopes with a bike than a jeep).

posted on Feb, 24 2013 @ 04:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by GreenGlassDoor

If you live in the city consider a dual sport motorcycle. You get farther on a tank of gas and I always felt it did a better job off-roading than a jeep (I've felt more confident on steep slopes with a bike than a jeep).

Dual purpose ftw...

Ducati is making a dual purpose diesel bike, that thing has survivalist written all over it.

posted on Feb, 24 2013 @ 05:00 AM
link   
I have a simple jeep that carries 2 spare tires and an added 12 gallons of fuel, and an electric winch. However if shtf I doubt I will get by any check points! But I can leave my home and travel many miles barely hitting main roads. Bad point it gets maybe 18mpg...... You can make your own diesel if you are lucky enough to own a diesel truck!

posted on Feb, 25 2013 @ 08:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by tanda7
reply to post by Rikku

One tank of diesel will get me pretty far from the city I live in now, plus it's big enough to live in if necessary.
One good solar panel would keep the two batteries charged.

I only have to make it to the family farm 150 miles away.
Naysayers gonna naysay I guess

edit on 23-2-2013 by tanda7 because: resize

man i have to say that is one badass looking vehicle. i remember seeing it a couple of months ago in a thread about hurricane katrina and as soon as i saw the blacked out ambulance i was in love, i wish i had the space to keep one of these around.

amazing job on the conversion

posted on Feb, 25 2013 @ 09:26 AM
link   
I have a 2011 Jeep Patriot. It gets 29 - 30 mpg consistently. Hauls all kinds of crap because I go camping a lot and just bought a house and do Home Depot runs with it.

I love this vehicle!

That and a bike. Can't go wrong...

posted on Feb, 25 2013 @ 09:38 AM
link   
reply to post by RoScoLaz

The bowler wild cat is fast over any terrain and cool to boot

i want one

posted on Feb, 25 2013 @ 09:39 AM
link   
reply to post by severdsoul

The original is still the best. And if it gets too bad, you can always eat it as a last resort.
edit on 25-2-2013 by Ahabstar because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 25 2013 @ 09:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Tardacus

off road lol

thats some traffic jam that

posted on Feb, 25 2013 @ 02:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by RoScoLaz

Originally posted by laurentius
I want a Lada Niva, i can't afford a big 4x4 because of the taxes here.

a superb and cheap (well it used to be) workhorse.

So basically a 4x4 Yugo? How do those hold up over time? I have never seen one before.

Personally, I'll hang onto my trusty Subaru Outback and a Mountain Bike. A very capable vehicle that blends in with all the others and does not scream look at me. At a Yakima cargo box to the roof and a bike carrier to the rear and I'm good to go. Certainly not a long term residential vehicle but very adept in moderate off road conditions.

posted on Feb, 25 2013 @ 11:35 PM
link   
My chariot of choice if SHTF in Northern Australia.

posted on Feb, 25 2013 @ 11:40 PM
link   
I'm a scout I have a 63 scout the drive train and suspension is done engine is strong,now I have to get into upper parts.
edit on 25-2-2013 by cavtrooper7 because: missplled

posted on Feb, 25 2013 @ 11:56 PM
link   
reply to post by GreenGlassDoor

Many people don't have access to horses either, You still could run into some problems feeding a horse,depends on you area,desert,winter with a lot of snow. At least you can eat it.

posted on Feb, 26 2013 @ 02:32 AM
link   
This is my own 4x4. It's extensively modified and proven offroad and I know its capabilities and not much stops it. It's got a snorkel for wading through rivers and will have a winch fitted to the front in the next few months

Also it is fitted with the Nissan TD27 engine which will run forever on 100% vegetable oil, which I run it on as its 70p a litre compared to £1.45 for pump diesel

When the shtf I will be getting out of town across the fields as I predict roads will be blocked/standstill/army checkpoints etc

In car shot through recent floods passing stranded vehicles for teh lulz
:

posted on Feb, 26 2013 @ 06:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by cavtrooper7
I'm a scout I have a 63 scout the drive train and suspension is done engine is strong,now I have to get into upper parts.
edit on 25-2-2013 by cavtrooper7 because: missplled

The Scout will definitely earn you some very COOL points. My Grandpa had a pick up model of the Scout 80 that was used on his family farm when he was younger. It was a work horse. Just wish I had it now

posted on Feb, 26 2013 @ 12:25 PM
link   
I have a 2001 Chevy 1500HD with a 6.0 gasser. Great truck, but not the best off-road vehicle I've ever owned. That was a 1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9L Limited. Factory lockers, factory skid plates. I did lift it 3" and put bigger tires on it, but that thing could go damn near anywhere. Put some money into a bigger lift, snorkel, etc.... you would have a bad @$$ get-you-there-truck.

posted on Feb, 26 2013 @ 01:05 PM
link   
How about Rick Dobbertin's Surface Orbiter? Pretty cool or what even tho it isnt "technically" a "4x4"...being a 6 wheel, amphibious vehicle? I went to HS with him....

file1.bobaedream.co.kr...
edit on 26-2-2013 by CosmicCitizen because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 26 2013 @ 01:15 PM
link   

Here's mine. I tow the SUV behind to use for short trips. It's got a load of dirt I'll use to start my own planet when ours is destroyed.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join