It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Banksy Arrested In London, Identity Revealed

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 23 2013 @ 08:55 AM
link   
SnF cos of the excellent examples of his stuff you shared. Though my fave is always the copper snorting coke.
Glad it looks like he never got nicked as well

posted on Feb, 23 2013 @ 09:22 AM
link   
reply to post by fluff007

always liked this one

posted on Feb, 23 2013 @ 09:30 AM
link   
Sadly it is he idiots who create artificial prices and buy and sell what they deem to be "art" that ruins it for me.

One of his works got removed from some county down in England and is now being sold at auction in Miami for 400,000 pounds lol, morons.

Not much of a fan of politicaly motivated "statement" art myself, regardless of how I feel though he is a very talented artist, no one can really argue otherwise.

posted on Feb, 23 2013 @ 09:35 AM
link   
This is a hoax chaps.

www.businessinsider.com...

We just placed a call to London's Metropolitan Police, who confirmed that the Banksy is still safely under cover.

And there are no reports about the alleged arrest on BBC or CNN, which both supposedly covered the story according to the press release on PRLog.

Tellingly, the contact address for the release is an email address at the domain name www.iywib.com, a humor site (it's currently down).

This happens every few years.

And yes, I like his work.

posted on Feb, 23 2013 @ 11:35 AM
link   
This current story seems to be a hoax.

i thought Banksy's identity was revealed a few years back..

Graffiti artist Banksy unmasked ... as a former public schoolboy from middle-class suburbia

www.dailymail.co.uk...

Maybe that was a hoax as well..

edit on 23-2-2013 by PhoenixOD because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2013 @ 12:10 PM
link   
didn't someone take down a wall Banksy had painted on and sell it for £300,000 or something...

I saw them trying to flog it on the TV....dont know how they got that wall down in one piece, but they managed it somehow....and how they got it upright and in a studio was another logistics problem...it was a rather large brick/plaster wall..

Not this one but you know times are hard when people steal walls to sell on the Black market..

www.guardian.co.uk...
edit on 23-2-2013 by Soloprotocol because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2013 @ 12:19 PM
link   

A "quote" from the article you provided.

"London Police Chief Wayne Leppard held a press conference to answer questions about how Banksy was finally apprehended. “We had a 24-hour Anti-Graffiti Task Force monitoring different groups known to have associated with Banksy. We received word that around 2am a group of individuals left a flat speculated to be one of Banky’s art studios. This group was followed by agents and once vandalism had occurred, we then arrested the group, 5 men total. These individuals all had ID on them except for one, and that is the one we believed to be Banksy,” Leppard said. “We then raided the studio where this group was last seen leaving from. Inside we found thousands of dollars of counterfeit money along with future projects of vandalism. We also found a passport and ID of a Paul William Horner who matched the description of the man that we are currently holding.” Leppard continued, “Horner is currently being held without bail on charges of vandalism, conspiracy, racketeering and counterfeiting. We are also holding the other four individuals whose names we are not releasing at this time.” (unquote)

I am thinking they may be able to prove the vandalism charges because of the graffiti; but I am thinking regarding the (counterfeit money) could it be that they were planning to use it for some sort of artwork? Are the authorities misconstruing some of the things they found in the studio?

posted on Feb, 23 2013 @ 12:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Severin

"exit through the gift shop" is one of the bizarrest and most fascinating movies i ever saw, totally not what i expected it to be about either..
and i'm glad he aint been nicked and outed, he's a national gem if you ask me.

link   
reply to post by DangerDeath

To thee and all other posters...

Yes I am aware that this particular article is a fake.. I do usually check my sources, but for some reason today I did not...

However I am very glad to know that this is a fake..! Long Live Banksy...!!

link   
www.pedestrian.tv...

News of Banksy's purported arrest came via the source Anonymous linked to above: PRLOG.org, a sure as hell official sounding website that the Metropolitan Police would definitely use. Quoted in the doctored press release was a hybrid super police officer named "Wayne Leppard;" Wayne Leppard is an amalgam of London's Police Commissioner, Adrian Leppard, and London's Police Commander, Wayne Chance.

Banksy will be caught when Bansky decides to be caught....

posted on Feb, 23 2013 @ 12:50 PM
link   
reply to post by SprocketUK

Hehehe...! Tis a good one

posted on Feb, 23 2013 @ 12:56 PM
link   
reply to post by PhoenixOD

I have had a wee sniff around the interwebs and does seem that his real identity is still unknown..

There have been numerous rumours and theories as to Banksy's identity. Names often suggested include Robert Banks and Robin Gunningham.[112] In 2004, an alleged photograph of him in Jamaica at the Two-Culture Clash Project surfaced.

In October 2007, a story on the BBC website featured a photo allegedly taken by a passer-by in Bethnal Green, London, purporting to show Banksy at work with an assistant, scaffolding and a truck. The story confirms that Tower Hamlets Council in London has decided to treat all Banksy works as vandalism and remove them.[113]

Through the pictures, Banksy's identity was speculated to be Robin Gunningham, a man born in Bristol on 28 July 1973. Gunningham was educated at Bristol Cathedral Choir School, and, according to a former friend, was "extremely talented at art." Gunningham lived with artist Luke Egan. Around 2000, when Banksy moved from Bristol to London, Gunningham is known to have moved from Bristol to a London flat in Hackney, and a number of Banksy's most famous works appeared nearby. At that time, Gunningham lived with Jamie Eastman, who worked for a record label that used illustrations by Banksy

Banksy himself states on his website:

I am unable to comment on who may or may not be Banksy, but anyone described as being 'good at drawing' doesn't sound like Banksy to me.

en.wikipedia.org...

I'm glad that no one knows his true identity. I have my own suspicions that its not just one person.. It may very well be a collective of people joining together to create truly spectacular art..! But who really knows..!

posted on Feb, 23 2013 @ 01:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by fluff007
reply to post by SprocketUK

Hehehe...! Tis a good one

Haha I love that.

posted on Feb, 23 2013 @ 02:05 PM
link   

Glad to see the guy's not really been busted, but let's be realistic? If anyone really wanted his ass in jail for vandalism...he'd be busted. You can't fingerprint a graffiti mural - you can follow a paper trail to see where the money is going for all those Ltd Ed screen prints that have been out for over 10 years.

Long may he reign.

I've got one small problem with Banksy...

...he came to Liverpool and gave us one that's just 'okay.'

posted on Feb, 23 2013 @ 02:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Kandinsky

Was saying this to someone earlier... if they really wanted to arrest him, he'd be done already.
He brings in revenue, his exhibitions, sales of his art... all sorts.

And I agree with others, He's a National Treasure.

I don't think anyone wants him arrested, there's plenty of real criminals out there he not only has a message, he brightens up the place.

posted on Feb, 23 2013 @ 02:14 PM
link   
reply to post by blupblup

Yeah, he's really an 'Establishment eccentric' rather than urban guerilla and the rich folk like collecting his stuff like anyone else. More to the point, he's probably living well in the Chelsea area and having his Saturday tea with the Gallaghers.

posted on Feb, 23 2013 @ 02:28 PM
link   
This is my favorite:

posted on Feb, 23 2013 @ 02:47 PM
link   
Regardless of the news story being false, thanks for sharing! His work is really interesting, and I wouldn't have seen it any other way.

posted on Feb, 23 2013 @ 02:49 PM
link   

Graffiti is an eyesore and vandalism - plain and simple. It's also how street gangs 'communicate' with each other and mark their territory. Tax payers have to look at the ugly mess, as well as pay to have it cleaned up. That the simple truth of it. Lock him up and anyone else caught vandalizing public property asap I say. I'm sick to death at looking at the mess these idiots are making of our communities.

posted on Feb, 23 2013 @ 03:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kandinsky
reply to post by blupblup

Yeah, he's really an 'Establishment eccentric' rather than urban guerilla and the rich folk like collecting his stuff like anyone else. More to the point, he's probably living well in the Chelsea area and having his Saturday tea with the Gallaghers.

LOL yeah... I'm intrigued, we all think he's street and urban and cool... maybe he looks like this?

Would be pretty funny

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join