It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"The Sword - Warp Riders" an EPIC sci-fi concept album (Stoner Rock)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 22 2013 @ 11:59 PM
link   
This album isn't new. Maybe many of you have already heard it, but for those who haven't I figured I would share because I didn't see it here and IMHO, it deserves to be heard.
I think this album is phenomenal and paints an epic sci-fi picture in my mind.

Info:

"Warp Riders tells the tale of Ereth, an archer banished from his tribe on the planet Acheron. A hardscrabble planet that has undergone a tidal lock, which has caused one side to be scorched by three suns, and the other enshrouded in perpetual darkness, it is the background for a tale of strife and fantasy, the battle between pure good and pure evil. How it's told – through the dueling lead guitars of J.D. Cronise and Kyle Shutt, and the concussive rhythm section of bassist Bryan Ritchie and drummer Trivett Wingo – underscores the narrative with molten steel and unreal precision.

Guitarist and lead vocalist J.D. Cronise explains the lineage of Warp Riders: "I'm pretty sure the first concept album I ever heard was Operation: Mindcrime by Queensrÿche when I was a kid, which I was way into. Even though I never really understood the whole story, I was nonetheless enthralled by how the album created its own world. I wanted to create a setting for our songs that would be unique and different, but still a place where epic sagas unfold in proper Sword fashion." Inspiration took hold from "lots of things ... the legend of Atlantis, old Heavy Metal magazines, the films of René Laloux, a childhood dream, and The Teachings of Don Juan by Carlos Castaneda to name a few."

The story of Warp Riders, entitled "The Night The Sky Cried Tears Of Fire" (written by Cronise), follows Ereth as he discovers a mysterious orb and meets the Chronomancer, a being beyond time and space who enlists him in a quest to restore the planet's balance. Along the way he encounters strange warriors, mysterious witches, ancient androids, and a crew of space pirates with a vessel that will alter the course of history... a vessel known as, The Sword."

Cronise also offered the following explanation of the album's direction in an interview with Decibel:

"This is what you'd technically call a 'concept album,' though I'd describe it as more of a soundtrack to a story I came up with. All the songs are about aspects of the story, but they don't cover every detail from beginning to end. It's a science fiction story, and it deals heavily with themes of light and dark and perceptions of time. One of the main settings is a planet, which has experienced tidal locking, creating a side of perpetual day and a side of perpetual night. The reason for creating a narrative to base the songs around was essentially to provide interesting and varied lyrical subject matter with a core theme to tie it all together."

1. "Acheron / Unleashing the Orb"

2. "Tres Brujas"

3. "Arrows in the Dark"

4. "The Chronomancer I: Hubris" (Ends at 7:35 even though vid says its over 13m long)

5. "Lawless Lands"

6. "Astraea's Dream"

7. "The Warp Riders"

8. "Night City"

9. "The Chronomancer II: Nemesis"

10. "(The Night the Sky Cried) Tears of Fire"

Enjoy!

Cheers.
edit on 23-2-2013 by Qemyst because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2013 @ 01:12 AM
link   
This music is right up my alley. I've been into many less known stoner metal bands for awhile, never gave the mainstream a fair listen.

posted on Feb, 23 2013 @ 01:16 AM
link   
reply to post by zonetripper2065

Well if you're new to em I hope you like.

I'd listened to all of The Swords old albums (which are all awesome) but I've always had a thing for concept albums. One day I heard "Lawless Lands" before I realized they had released this album and it just blew my mind. I can't think of a song more epic than that one. It just gets... so... so epic..

posted on Feb, 23 2013 @ 01:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Qemyst

Dude totally love it. Gonna play them as I do my thing and play video games

posted on Feb, 24 2013 @ 01:21 PM
link   
Thanks, always looking for new music well new to me stuff

top topics

join