It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Goldfish threaten Lake Tahoe species

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 22 2013 @ 03:45 PM
link   
www.latimes.com...

*The monster goldfish that researchers retrieved from Lake Tahoe is the latest discovery that warns of the breakdown of ecological systems if people don't stop dumping their aquarium pets into lakes, rivers and the ocean.
Researchers trawling for invasive fish species found a goldfish that was nearly 1 1/2 feet long and weighed more than 4 pounds. They're concerned about the fish's threat to the ecosystem of Lake Tahoe, LiveScience.com reported Thursday.*

Goldfish are really nothing more than pretty carp; they are hardy and can survive well in the wild in many places, as the article reports.

human relocation of non-native 'invasive' species continues to be a thorn in Earth's side.

posted on Feb, 22 2013 @ 03:51 PM
link   
I was gonna post this yesterday when I saw the article but I didn't know how well it would do. I honestly am worried and this is why. Even in Illinois several lakes have been taken over by Carp (Brother or Sister) of that pesky goldfish, they are garbage fish and do nothing for the longevity of the lakes habitat, except breed breed and breed some more. It's like that Snakefish that tthe DNR warned us about, that has been showing up in certain lakes and rivers. Bad new bears~

Tahoe is a immensly deep lake and would probably take a good amount of time for those goldfish to take over but once they started poping up like they did when they shocked the water, you can never turn those hands of time back.
And it's only a matter of time. Who knows if they really know how many of them there are a guestimate at best.

Iresponsible parents and fisherman who send there pets and leftover minnows go in lakes should be fined as this contributes to the break down of these habitats in the worst possible way.

join