It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Brainwashing nursary rime?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 21 2013 @ 03:25 PM
link   

Row, row, row your boat, Gently down the stream. Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily, Life is but a dream.

What do you think of this old nursary rime for children? Is it meant as some kind of brainwashing where kids are constantly repeating that they should follow the crowd and not make trouble because life is "just a dream" and nothing serious. Seems to me that "someone" want to brainwash the kids to not "rock the boat" in society and follow all the other sheeple. Scary!

posted on Feb, 21 2013 @ 03:27 PM
link   
We have several books with "classic" nursery rhymes. I don't like reading most of them to my 4 and 5 year olds because either they don't make sense and/or they are violent. Row your boat is harmless although it my have hidden meaning.

posted on Feb, 21 2013 @ 03:39 PM
link   
I think its just about rowing a boat to be honest!
I turned out alright. DiDENT I?
edit on 21-2-2013 by TheDoctor46 because: (no reason given)

edit on 21-2-2013 by TheDoctor46 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 21 2013 @ 03:49 PM
link   
I think many are... Check this one.

Seesaw Margery Daw Johnny shall have a new master He shall earn but a penny a day Because he can't work any faster

Spells?

edit on 21-2-2013 by Wifibrains because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 21 2013 @ 03:52 PM
link   
reply to post by MerkabaMeditation

sometimes, a cigar is just a cigar.

What would you have children do? Worry about the current state of affairs? Worry about the stock market?
Let kids be blissfully ignorant for a while. Besides, if you get a few people starting that song in the second and third verse, it's loads of fun. At least it was in 1st grade.

posted on Feb, 21 2013 @ 03:52 PM
link   
I feel all nursery rhymes are meant for that. Like "the ants go marching one by one hoorah, hoorah" "they all go marching down to the ground to get out of the rain, boom boom boom". So to me the ants are soldiers(hoorah) or and the rain is bombs dropping from the sky hence the "boom boom boom "or whatever they say but it sounds that way lol but I agree it seems like brainwashing for certain

posted on Feb, 21 2013 @ 03:54 PM
link   
reply to post by network dude

How about something a bit more uplifting and encouraging? Instead of brainwashing.

posted on Feb, 21 2013 @ 03:54 PM
link   

Georgy Porgie puding and pie,
jerked...ooops that's Andrew Dice Clay....Sorry

Georgie Porgie pudding and pie
Kissed the girls and made them cry
When the boys came out to play
Georgie Porgie ran away.

A perv going around playgrounds maybe?

And there's this one that always did creep me out. Who would wright something like that and tell that to their children?
-
Rock-a-bye baby, on the treetop,
When the wind blows, the cradle will rock,
When the bough breaks, the cradle will fall,
And down will come baby, cradle and all.
edit on 21-2-2013 by XLR8R because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 21 2013 @ 03:57 PM
link   

Rock-a-bye baby, in the treetop When the wind blows, the cradle will rock When the bough breaks, the cradle will fall And down will come baby, cradle and all

Fall of civilisation or ecconamy perhaps?

Here's one I made earlier...

there once was a snail with his home, Who was told where to Rome by the throne. The snail and his home, roamed and roamed, Then decided his home was the throne.

A thread I made for nursery rhyms for a new generation. If any one is feeling creative, drop in and jot one down.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Feb, 21 2013 @ 04:01 PM
link   
Ring-around a rosey
A pocket full of posies;
Ashes! Ashes!
We all fall down.

edit on 21-2-2013 by WaterBottle because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 21 2013 @ 04:04 PM
link   
Wikipedia says this tho.....

Row, Row, Row Your Boat

The lyrics have often been used as a metaphor for life's difficult choices, and many see the boat as referring to one's self or a group with which one identifies.[2] Rowing is a skillful, if tedious, practice that takes perfection but also directs the vessel.[3] When sung as a group, the act of rowing becomes a unifier, as oars should be in sync for the progression of a rowboat. The idea that human beings travel along a certain stream [time] and suggests boundaries in the path of choices and in free will.[4] The third line recommends that challenges should be greeted in stride while open to joy with a smile.[5] Some have questioned the song's implied necessity to row one's boat downstream. This may in fact be a commentary on the paradoxical nature of time's arrow with respect to man's free will in a universe of materialistic causality.[6] The final line, "life is but a dream", is perhaps the most meaningful. With a religious point of view, life and the physical plane may be regarded as having equivalent value as that of a dream, such that troubles are seen in the context of a lesser reality once one has awakened.

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Feb, 21 2013 @ 04:05 PM
link   
reply to post by WaterBottle

Yeah, That was about the black Plague. They would get red circles on there cheeks and put flower in their pocket because of the smell. Pretty grim.

posted on Feb, 21 2013 @ 04:09 PM
link   
Want to talk about Grim. You need to pick up the real Complete Grimm's Fairy Tales book. I've read it and it's creepy. Not a "Disney" ending in any of those stories.

A_L
edit on 2/21/2013 by another_lurker because: spelling, I just fixed a couple of things.

posted on Feb, 21 2013 @ 04:14 PM
link   
reply to post by another_lurker

Yeah. I read Little Red Ridding Hood a while back. Nice, pretty wholesome story no too much freaky stuff goin' on

Gotta get my hands on more of those.
edit on 21-2-2013 by XLR8R because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 21 2013 @ 04:21 PM
link   

Personally I think its very positive. Don't sweat the small stuff, keep on going because its all just a spiritual journey. Follow your heart, row YOUR boat GENTLY down the stream MERRILY.

Its kind of obvious. Just saying.

posted on Feb, 21 2013 @ 04:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by network dude

sometimes, a cigar is just a cigar.

What would you have children do? Worry about the current state of affairs? Worry about the stock market?
Let kids be blissfully ignorant for a while. Besides, if you get a few people starting that song in the second and third verse, it's loads of fun. At least it was in 1st grade.

I gave you a star for that sad little face in your profile picture
Soooo cute!

And I agree, let the kids be kids while they can.
edit on 21-2-2013 by daryllyn because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 21 2013 @ 04:39 PM
link   
I think nursery rhymes are great...They teach a litte something to chidren about the cold harsh realities they may come to face in their lives, just like fairytales.

I guess as brutle as they are, at least they are conveyed with a spoonful of sugar

This has a fair few nursery rhymes in it...with a metal twist!

posted on Feb, 21 2013 @ 04:47 PM
link   
Ah, I've got a good one for this.

In one of the Star Trek movies Mr. Spock is singing this song. It comes after a part where he once again talks about how he cannot lie. So, in singing the song, Mr. Spock is affirming that "life is but a dream", speakiing from a mystic perspective. The wisdom of Spock.

posted on Feb, 21 2013 @ 04:49 PM
link   
All the nursery rhymes are messed up.

This one is played in an annoying loop on a boat ride in Disneyland. I don't remember the name of the ride. I couldn't wait for it to end, due to this song playing over and over The ride may be discontinued now.

posted on Feb, 21 2013 @ 04:52 PM
link   
The one I always found disturbing was the "....rub-a-dub-dub, three men in a tub" one.

Not homophobic, but, what are those guys doing in that tub?

Some pretty suspicious interpersonal hygiene going on if you ask me,,,,

top topics

<<   2 >>

join