It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

No water bottles in school without a doctor's note??

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 21 2013 @ 10:59 AM
link   
I just saw a friend on facebook post the following and it is really bugging me....

"I was just told that if my son wants to have water instead of milk with his school lunch he needs a doctor note or has to pay extra. Wtf is wrong with schools nowadays."

So I searched and found that it is recently happening all over the place. Here are just a couple of examples...

Link to news story

Link to message board

I have a child in first grade and I haven't had this problem. My child's school actually encourages them to bring in bottles so they don't have to use the fountains so much. But if they do something like this, I will not be very happy about it.

The main reasoning behind this school rule is that a child could bring alcohol in these containers or they could hit fellow students with them. But, if a child brings alcohol in, everyone will smell it. They could bring it in something else just as easy. And there are plenty of things besides a water bottle that kids will hit each other with. It is a stupid rule that needs re-looked at. It needs to just go away.

Is anyone else having this problem?

posted on Feb, 21 2013 @ 11:03 AM
link   
Maybe they are putting fluoride in the milk now. Mandatory milk to calm the herd.

(ATS needs a tin foil hat emoticon)

On topic - this is utterly ridiculous. A sealed water bottle? How is a student going to get alcohol in there? Is alcohol a huge problem in public schools now, or is this just more pre-crime prevention/conditioning?

edit on 21-2-2013 by AwakeinNM because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 21 2013 @ 11:06 AM
link   
reply to post by AwakeinNM

Off topic I know, but for you I will "go there"!

posted on Feb, 21 2013 @ 11:09 AM
link   
reply to post by PAranormal

My son brings in a reusable water bottle, it has a built-in filter, and he loves it.

Schools. Producing moronic rules since 1963.

posted on Feb, 21 2013 @ 11:11 AM
link   
A clear plastic water bottle would pretty much limit you to clear liquors.
It's pretty easy to tell if they're drinking water or vodka if you get kinda close to them, five or so feet, the kind of range a teacher would be in constantly.

posted on Feb, 21 2013 @ 11:17 AM
link   
PAranormal
I have no children but that has to be one of the dumbest rules Ive ever heard of id rather my child bring a bottle of water i just cant believe that kids would be sneaking in alcohol everyone would smell something like that don't ya think? I think they need to look that rule over again its just plain silly in my eyes..peace,sugarcookie1

posted on Feb, 21 2013 @ 11:21 AM
link   
You really can't prevents kids from bringing alcohol to school. You can ban water bottles, but that doesn't stop them from bringing a bottle of vodka to school with them in their backpacks. These rules are a nuisance for the other students, they do nothing to combat the actual problem.

posted on Feb, 21 2013 @ 11:23 AM
link   
reply to post by sugarcookie1

You'd be surprised, they aren't going to exactly leave open water bottles of alcohol lying around. It's more like they will have a water bottle filled with vodka in their backpacks and occasionally take swigs of it. If that fails, they can fall back on buttchugging or drinking hand sanitizer. Kids are retarded.

posted on Feb, 21 2013 @ 11:24 AM
link   
reply to post by PAranormal

Some restrictions here but no doctor's note (thankfully, my child is an avid purified water drinker). The requirement at the local schools is that it must be a clear water bottle with no coloring. Checked the handbooks and there's no formalized rule for that. However, my child did have a teacher last year (4th grade) who restricted water bottles entirely and disallowed drinking fountain stops. Imagine being 9-10 years old with recess and the only time you can get a drink of water is at lunch.

posted on Feb, 21 2013 @ 11:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by AwakeinNM
On topic - this is utterly ridiculous. A sealed water bottle? How is a student going to get alcohol in there? Is alcohol a huge problem in public schools now, or is this just more pre-crime prevention/conditioning?

idk, when i went to school we were constantly getting plastered and the water bottle was the best way to do it.

posted on Feb, 21 2013 @ 11:34 AM
link   
I'm not a fan of plastic water bottles, since estrogen mimicking chemicals leech into the water.

Originally posted by PAranormal
The main reasoning behind this school rule is that a child could bring alcohol in these containers or they could hit fellow students with them.

But worried that you could hit someone with them? You could hit someone with a book just as easily. I'm just waiting for the day someone gets stabbed with a pencil or pen and they ban those.

posted on Feb, 21 2013 @ 11:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by RandyBragg
idk, when i went to school we were constantly getting plastered and the water bottle was the best way to do it.

Were you in grade school getting plastered or high school? Age makes a huge difference.
edit on 21/2/13 by WhiteAlice because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 21 2013 @ 11:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by WhiteAlice

Were you in grade school getting plastered or high school? Age makes a huge difference.

So read the article. It doesn't apply to grade schoolers.

North East Independent School District says the policy was put in place to prevent students from hitting each other with the bottles and to prevent students from sneaking in alcohol. The policy is only for middle and high school students. Elementary school students in the district can bring water bottles to school.

posted on Feb, 21 2013 @ 11:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Ghost375

That was being directed specifically to the person who said they got plastered at school using water bottles...not the article, itself. If you note, I also shared that, locally, we do have water bottle restrictions (though not formalized) at the elementary school level here. Clear, uncolored for even 1st graders and one teacher imposing a ban on water bottles--at grade school level.

posted on Feb, 21 2013 @ 11:59 AM
link   
Ah, this is clearly a component of the all-present war on drugs in school. No doubt the zero-tolerance policy will apply to this too.
I don't remember if we were allowed to bring water bottles or not, but I would have considered "you might hit each other with them" to be a massively dense tacked-on excuse. I might even had wondered if there was something in the drinking fountain water that they were instructed to insert into us.

posted on Feb, 21 2013 @ 12:01 PM
link   

reply to post by Ghost375

That was being directed specifically to the person who said they got plastered at school using water bottles...not the article, itself. If you note, I also shared that, locally, we do have water bottle restrictions (though not formalized) at the elementary school level here. Clear, uncolored for even 1st graders and one teacher imposing a ban on water bottles--at grade school level.

Yeah, it was directed at one person....but you were heavily implying that the articles in question are talking about grade schoolers.
What's going on at your school still doesn't amount to a ban on water bottles, like is being discussed. Yeah, what the teacher did is stupid, but I'm sure you're exaggerating it. Kids don't' go from 8am-lunch of straight class. I'm sure the kids get a chance for a drink. The teacher probably just doesn't allow them to take out the bottles, which is far from an all out ban.

posted on Feb, 21 2013 @ 12:04 PM
link   

Both, back when they used to let kids be kids. But remember in this day and age kids are blowing eachother in class.
www.dailymail.co.uk...

posted on Feb, 21 2013 @ 12:08 PM
link   
I think hitting someone with the corner of your textbook would hurt more then a puny water bottle, and about the alcohol thing, that's just retarded, what's to stop them from keeping it in their locker or backpack, taking swigs between classes or on a bathroom break.
It doesn't work for drugs so what make them think this will work for alcohol.

posted on Feb, 21 2013 @ 12:12 PM
link   
Water is necessary for LIFE, milk is not. Curious that most people feel that it is the other way around, even more bizarre that some moronic "people in charge" with the education of a wild beast feel that water is a commodity that can be regulated within the confines of the indoctrination school system simply because said school is under their purchasing authority - buy the milk, or pay for milk and leave it to drink your water as Cargil has the commodity contract and requires it.

Then again, there is next to no difference between a modern school and a minimum security prison, in which case, water is and should be regulated per the "everyone in the cage is scum and deserves nothing but what they get per the contracts afforded the system."

posted on Feb, 21 2013 @ 12:13 PM
link   

"I was just told that if my son wants to have water instead of milk with his school lunch he needs a doctor note or has to pay extra. Wtf is wrong with schools nowadays."

I suppose the local mafia with the contact to supply the school food does have water on their list. I would think water would be less expensive. This sounds like a case where a child cannot bring their lunch. Why couldn't a child buy a lunch and add their own water. The school system is getting stupid.......

top topics

<<   2 >>

join