It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help : I need your advice. Lots of smart people here.

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 12:27 AM
link   
OK,

Firstly, thanks for looking. I have been called on by a female friend who has asked me to try and come up with some feedback to a problem. Although I know what I would do, and am not in her situation even remotely,I want to get her some advice and opinions from this site, as I believe there are literally hundreds if not thousands of bright people here. I have known this lady for about 30 years, when we were kids we did the hubba bubba for a few years, then rescinded to friends. She once sailed with me from the Vancouver area to the sea of Cortez in Mexico then flew home as I went on to SA.

The ultimate question is: Retire soon (12-18 months) or wait it out for full pension?

Some background.

Female 59 yrs old.
Single, no children at home.
Full Union retirement income on October 2016 - approx 1300.00 per month.
Full CPP (Canada pension plan) at age 65 - approx 1000.00 per month.
Old age security at 65 - approx 600.00 per month.
Has approx 2500.00 income take home monthly. Increases 3% per year (Union contracts)
Has approx 1900.00 in monthly bills before food and car fuel, clothing, entertainment. She says that bills keep going up up up, and leaves her with less.

Union income is reduced by 3% per year for leaving early.
91% of 1300.00 on October 2013 = 1188.00
94% October 2014 = 1222.00
97% on Oct 2015 = 1261

CPP can be taken at 60 yrs of age here, but reduced by 31%
So 69% of 1000 is $690.00

She is in a good position with her home, and has approx $200,000 in equity if sold.
She has two inheritances up the road. One is her mothers home valued at 300,000 (clear title) (split 50% with her brother) second is her fathers home valued at 250,000 (all hers as brother and father not on good terms)

So she has approx 400,000 coming in a few years,when her kin kicks off and leaves her the farms.

So if she opts out early she has:

1188.00 + 690.00 = 1878.00

If she sells her home, and pays off ALL her bills, she will have about 200,000 left.

She wants to buy a boat, worth $60,000

If she deposits this remaining cash (140k) in an ING savings account, it pays 1.35% or about $200.00 per month interest.

If she pulled the interest and added it to her retirement income she would be at approx 2000 - 2100 per month.

She has been taking sailing courses and learning the ropes sort of speaking. I have been helping her get certified.

She is very tired of paying the high cost of city life, she wants to un plug and go travel the world by boat for several years, leaving the employment slavery and debt chains behind her.

This to me is a tough social issue, that is why I have posted it here. Many people are probably facing the same dilemma and are being squeezed ever harder by the corporate Juggernaut.

She feels that these next 5 years will be her prime time to do these types of things, she is scared if she waits till 65 it may pass her by.

Her parents are in decent shape, in their 80s but healthy and active, so no problems on the immediate horizon.

The places she is going are very very cheap to live, food, on shore housing, ect are almost give away. South America and the South Pacific islands.

I have told her I think she should go for it, she is having push back from some of her family.

I told her I would ask the question online.

So my question is:

WOULD YOU DO IT NOW OR WAIT IT OUT FOR FULL RETIREMENT?

Opinions, questions, thoughts, flames welcome.

edit on 20-2-2013 by lnfideI because: edit

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 12:33 AM
link   
Screw it. No time like the present.

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 12:34 AM
link   
I know a couple that years ago sold everything and gave up everything .
They got a big sailboat and having been living on it and sailing the seas and love it.

If she has that much money and equity,go for it.
Life is to short to live your dream.

Peace,
K

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 12:42 AM
link   
I would have to conqure, I don't like the water much, but if she does, GO FOR IT!! You only live once! Live it up.

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 12:47 AM
link   
Do it. Life will be over soon.

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 12:49 AM
link   
That is exactly how I see it.

Looking at it from a financial point of view:

CPP - She gets 690.00 per month for 60 months taking it early = 41,400
Union - She gets 1188.00 per month for 36 months taking it early = 42768

This is 84,168 of free early $ plus still gets the Old Age pension at 65 regardless.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Full retirement:

Full = 1300 + 1000 = 2300
Early = 1188 + 690 = 1878

She loses out on 422.00 per month. but recoups $200 from deposit interest.

Lets say she misses out on $300 per month.

At what point (up the road) does it meet and become not a good deal anymore?

And really does it matter up the road as she is going to inherit.

Its a tough issue.

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 12:49 AM
link   
reply to post by lnfideI

Hey I not too sure exactly how much extra she would get waiting for full pension??
she could retire, I probably could, however if so I would recommend retiring in a developing country.. Thailand, Cambodia, Ecuador.. somewhere where the money will go further... because I don't think 400 000 will last long.. Sure she will get interest.. however I think she would spend more than the interest gives her, thus slowly chipping away at the pile.
Also she should be careful where she puts it, share probably not a good option.. maybe 25% of it in shares, diversified between asian, euro and american shares, in different sectors. It sounds like you are in Canada? I don't know much about your economy, but I believe the Aussie dollar is currently over valued. If similar there, it might be an idea to buy some gold derivatives. Term deposits are also good (like the ING one you say) and safe, however you're not protected from high inflation or the currency loosing value.If she does choose to retire... make sure her savings are diversified... and like I said, I doubt she could live well on the figures you suggest if she is in Canada or US.. but if in a cheaper country, I'm sure she could live like royalty and still beat inflation.

Also does she have childeren / dependents?

EDIT: sorry you answered some questions.. yeah i'd say retire if difference in pension is only 300 or 400 dollars and she gets out early.
But other thing to consider.. If she inherits the realestate from her parents there will be stamp duty payable on the transfer (in aust anyway, i assume in US and Canada)..further, if she keeps the properties, then land tax and rates will be payable each year, further reducing rents.
Also, is her pension taxable income? I assume the interest and any dividends etc will be taxable.

All i'm saying is its not alot of money to live on in a first world country considering taxation and expensess.

edit on 20-2-2013 by bigdohbeatdown because: above

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 12:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by bigdohbeatdown
reply to post by lnfideI

Hey I not too sure exactly how much extra she would get waiting for full pension??
she could retire, I probably could, however if so I would recommend retiring in a developing country.. Thailand, Cambodia, Ecuador.. somewhere where the money will go further... because I don't think 400 000 will last long.. Sure she will get interest.. however I think she would spend more than the interest gives her, thus slowly chipping away at the pile.
Also she should be careful where she puts it, share probably not a good option.. maybe 25% of it in shares, diversified between asian, euro and american shares, in different sectors. It sounds like you are in Canada? I don't know much about your economy, but I believe the Aussie dollar is currently over valued. If similar there, it might be an idea to buy some gold derivatives. Term deposits are also good (like the ING one you say) and safe, however you're not protected from high inflation or the currency loosing value.If she does choose to retire... make sure her savings are diversified... and like I said, I doubt she could live well on the figures you suggest if she is in Canada or US.. but if in a cheaper country, I'm sure she could live like royalty and still beat inflation.

Also does she have childeren / dependents?

She wont be inheriting the $400,000 for a few years, both her parents are doing very well.

She could have $200,000 in home equity, she will spend 60k on a boat,and deposit the other 140k at 1.35% interest in a guaranteed savings account.

She would live on her 1878 per month, but could draw an extra 200 from interest and still not touch the initial 140k deposit.

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 12:59 AM
link   
reply to post by bigdohbeatdown

she has 2400 in take home pay now

She pays approx 1900 in bills
500 mortage
cable, phone, internet, insurance, lights, heat, you know how that trap works right?

When she buys the boat and flocks off, she will have very few bills as she travels.

Sailboats move around the globe very cheaply, I know, I have abut 18000 NM under my vang.

Check out some of the cheap living on this page. This is true, I seen it myself in a lot of places.
www.i-to-i.com...

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 12:59 AM
link   
Sorry I didn't read very closely. I see she is planning to get out the country.

Non the less, she should maek sure she has enough for her truly old age for if she becomes infirm.. she wouldn't want to end up in a state provided nursing home (if they're anything like australian ones). I hate debt and money. But yeah, I think she should retire and do what she wants before she is too old to do it, just make sure she is prudent with money, perhaps tell he to see a tax lawyer.. with these sums of money is worth seeking advice to minimize the her tax liabilities.
Sorry to be pessimist, but I would just hate her to retire early, then run out of money after 5 yaers, be unable to get her old job back, then have to live in a #ty apartment barely surviving on a pension for the rest of her years.

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 01:01 AM
link   
Also ge her to check her mortgage contract make sure there is no early discharge fee or anything.

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 01:03 AM
link   
reply to post by lnfideI

If it were me,I would definitely do it now.
But then I am a long way from retirement age.
That said,there is no time like the present.South Pacific sounds wonderful to me.Does she need a first mate?

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 01:06 AM
link   

Sorry I didn't read very closely. I see she is planning to get out the country.

Non the less, she should maek sure she has enough for her truly old age for if she becomes infirm.. she wouldn't want to end up in a state provided nursing home (if they're anything like australian ones). I hate debt and money. But yeah, I think she should retire and do what she wants before she is too old to do it, just make sure she is prudent with money, perhaps tell he to see a tax lawyer.. with these sums of money is worth seeking advice to minimize the her tax liabilities.
Sorry to be pessimist, but I would just hate her to retire early, then run out of money after 5 yaers, be unable to get her old job back, then have to live in a #ty apartment barely surviving on a pension for the rest of her years.

Mate, I know what you are saying. Dont be sorry for being the pooper, its why this was asked, to get various opinions from persons who are not at all connected to the person or the monies.

I appreciate all you have said, I know she will as well.

One other thing, she has enough First Nations (Indian) in her that she has a card.

All her health care is 100% paid, glasses, dental, the whole kit and caboodle.

She plans on cruising till she is 65, if she is cheap like me,she still should have the 140k left and either already have or be close to the other 400k

So 540K plus a income of 1878 plus the old age of 600 is 2500 a month plus the 540k in the bank,my god man how much do you need? LOL

I am starting to wonder if I shouldn't try and be her man boy again. HHhhhhahahahaha

Antar, where are you sweetheart? we need your wise input here. Rabbit2000? drop your carrot and come give advise you old coot.

edit on 20-2-2013 by lnfideI because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 01:11 AM
link   

Also ge her to check her mortgage contract make sure there is no early discharge fee or anything.

I am sure there will be a fee, they really cover the bases hard on those things.

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 01:19 AM
link   
reply to post by lnfideI

Hahaha yeah you're right, one could have a nice life on that..

with the 140k... I would honestly suggest that it is not all put into a savings account.. If I had 140k and wanted to make the best of it i'd do

35k in ing savings account
35k in a managed fund with a trusted institution (unless she is confident buying her own stocks, if so just put 35k into a diversified portfolio of blue chip shares) - this should give her a nice little dividend cheque every few months, likely alot more than she would have gotten in interest.
35k in gold and derivatives - this is basically a hedge against another GFC.
35k in a savings account in a south american country where she plans to spend a lot of time (hopefully will hedge against correction in currency values)

peace man! Best of luck to her.. yeah follow the dream, she's been working her whole life. time to have some fun, and I think she can afford to.

Just don't put all the eggs in the one basket.

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 01:31 AM
link   
If her heart yearns to do it, she should. I would. But then I tend to be a risk taker, and have been incredibly lucky so far.
But this doesn't sound very "risky" ultimately.

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 01:43 AM
link   
Also I should add something regarding the "fathers home valued at 250,000 (all hers as brother and father not on good terms)"

This is often the case, however it is possible that the brother may sue for a share of the property if none is left to him. If her father hasn't already, he should make sure he has a competent lawyer ensure that his will is in order. If for example, he bequeaths the entire home to your friend without specifically saying that he is to get none, a court of equity could hold that the son has some entitlement. Best way to stop this is to leave the son something nominal like $1 or broken lawn mower; this will provide evidence to the court that her father didn't simply 'forget' to include the son due to the infirmity that comes with old age. Whole lot of things that can go wrong with wills, make sure its done properly.
This is especially so if there is some kind of 'rift' in the family, as very often, there is dispute which ends up in court where there is child who thinks they have not received their fair share of the estate.
I know they aren't popular in these forums, however, when it comes to Wills and interests in real property, get a good lawyer or you may get a nasty surprise in the future; and when that happens, most of the estate ends up getting chewed up in legal fees.

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 02:05 AM
link   
reply to post by bigdohbeatdown

Your advice is very high end, top drawer and appreciated.

The brother needed a high level bailout about a decade ago, it was agreed upon that my friend gets the property, and the brother gets other material things, there is a vast coin collection,some old cars,some nice mans jewelry etc that will end up going to the brother.

In Canada, hers how capitol gains works on your home.

You do not pay any taxes on the sale of the home as long as it is your primary residence.

So her present home will sell tax free. Then when her father kicks off, she would move into that residence as her primary home, I think the rule is you need to have it in your name/possession for one year. Then she will sell it again tax free.

I told her I don't really like to talk about people dying, but it is a fact she will need to deal with up the road with 100% certainty.

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 02:21 AM
link   
sounds like she has spent most of her life doing the "right thing". surely its time to kick back and enjoy life. motorbikes are my thing. if I could tour the world on my bike I would go now and I would spend years soon it.

whatever happens though, hope it all works out.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 02:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by fatpastyhead
sounds like she has spent most of her life doing the "right thing". surely its time to kick back and enjoy life. motorbikes are my thing. if I could tour the world on my bike I would go now and I would spend years soon it.

whatever happens though, hope it all works out.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

Thanks Pasty, it will work out I am sure. It sucks to have to work sooooooooo long and really have little left over after the BS that is our western way of life. I wonder to myself how many people are sick of this game and want the opportunity to unplug from it.

Life goes on right?

Right?

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join