It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Human intelligence is declining according to Stanford geneticist

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 05:45 PM
link   
reply to post by solongandgoodnight

When I think of primitive man I imagine that all of them had a hands-on experience when it came to the invention of spears. Everyone had to learn how to use them. Then came the bow and arrow, and again, if everyone didn't use them, the learning process wasn't that difficult. Then came a time when everyone rode a horse and knew how to take care of them. Point being, everyone was involved in learning and mastering new things.

Fast forward to today, it's easy to learn how to drive a car, but how many people actually know how to build or even do maintenance on one? We fly in jets, but how many know how to pilot them? How many know how to fly a space shuttle, build a computer, write an extensive program for a computer? Point being, the majority of us today have become passengers in this life. A handful of smart people do the building and creating, and we (the 7 billion of us) just play with what they create.

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 07:37 PM
link   
reply to post by solongandgoodnight

Say it ain't so!

Goddam professors getting paid to state the blatantly bloody obvious once again.

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 10:11 PM
link   
There already is a compelling theory that the human species is suffering from a global case of epigenetic brain damage and a growing number of people, including anthropologists and neurologists, are agreeing with this

leftinthedark.org.uk...

I suppose i'll make that into a separate thread sometime, since its a fascinating topic. This book is incredible.

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 10:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Crakeur
reply to post by Byrd

what hard data do you need to know that we, as a society, are getting dumber?

Ever heard of Honey Boo Boo?

Hey, I like Dinosaur Train on PBS. Don't care much for Big Bird though, he doesn't look edible.

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 09:01 AM
link   
Everyone knows our society is #ing nuts. Few have just realized this may be true on a literal level. All of the ancients knew this, and thats why they regarded the 'ancestors' as far superior. Mind you, that doesn't mean technologically...Our perspective is skewed.

Think about it...whats more advanced...living in the tropics, no need for shelter, no need for farms since all the food is hanging off of trees and ready to be grabbed, all time is for leisure, eating, and sex and exploring and enjoying this profoundly amazing experience of life.....Or a society that in the blink of an evolutionary eye has decimated a large portion of the forests of the earth, driven thousands of other species to extinction, has schizophrenic systems of control and deception based on fear, lies, and power, and uses most of its resources and technology for either furthering this insane system (with complete disregard to its trajectory) or construeing weapons that are more efficient at killing members of its own species!

People say "well look around at what we can do!" when the reality is that the big advancements we've made have stemmed from a small handful of individual genius that the collective likes to smugly pat themselves on the back and take credit for.

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 10:17 AM
link   
reply to post by nomnom

You are wrong. The word evolution in regards to nature, humans and societies implies evolution defined as--
a process of continuous change from a lower, simpler, or worse to a higher, more complex, or better state : growth

Ignorance - : the state or fact of being ignorant : lack of knowledge, education, or awareness:
ignorant- see nomnom

edit on 20-2-2013 by yamammasamonkey because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 10:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Byrd

Changing in a certain way, or evolving, is not what is meant by evolution in scientific terms. Of all the people on this thread you know that. It hurts your conscience because it's not what you want to be true, but I thought you were here to deny ignorance Byrd.

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 10:46 AM
link   
Your just splitting hairs and arguing semantics IMO

By evolution people often mean progress in a general sense. Hence why devolution is used as a synonym of that.

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 12:53 PM
link   
reply to post by yamammasamonkey

Nope. You can choose to make up the definitions all you like, but that just doesn't make it so.

Evolution

From the section on Outcomes:

A common misconception is that evolution has goals or long-term plans; realistically however, evolution has no long-term goal and does not necessarily produce greater complexity

Outcomes

Troll elsewhere. I'll just make you look like a fool if you choose to continue.
edit on 20-2-2013 by nomnom because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 01:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by yamammasamonkey
reply to post by Byrd

Changing in a certain way, or evolving, is not what is meant by evolution in scientific terms. Of all the people on this thread you know that. It hurts your conscience because it's not what you want to be true, but I thought you were here to deny ignorance Byrd.

Hmm.

I coulda sworn I had a pretty good handle on what science thinks evolution is.

Of course, my feeling comes from having a degree in Biology, teaching Biology in public schools, volunteering as a museum docent in the fossil/ancient life area, playing shovelbum on paleontology digs, doing volunteer fossil prep work on dinosaurs, and doing projects with paleontologists and wildlife researchers. Some of the things I worked on recently helped my friendly paleontolotists to define one of the clades in the titanosaurs.

I'm open to further discussion, of course, but you'll have to start by proving that the paleontologists I work with at the Perot Museum here in Dallas know nothing about how science defines evolution (I won't ask you to refute the things I studied to get my degree in biology because that was wayyyyyyy last century and I couldn't remember the courses without digging out a transcript or six.)

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 04:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by nomnom
reply to post by yamammasamonkey

Nope. You can choose to make up the definitions all you like, but that just doesn't make it so.

Evolution

From the section on Outcomes:

A common misconception is that evolution has goals or long-term plans; realistically however, evolution has no long-term goal and does not necessarily produce greater complexity

Outcomes

Troll elsewhere. I'll just make you look like a fool if you choose to continue.
edit on 20-2-2013 by nomnom because: (no reason given)

Like i said, i was referring to the way people use terms. Everyone generally agrees humans have been moving in a positive direction of greater knowledge and abilities throughout the unfoldment of our history and development. Duh. Theres no reason to go all science-nazi on me and be a douchebag about it. I have a degree in science and i could care less about it to be honest. Its just a piece of #ing paper. What i really can't stand is the people who hump science textbooks to build themselves up.
edit on 20-2-2013 by bobwilson because: (no reason given)

edit on 20-2-2013 by bobwilson because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 04:53 PM
link   
reply to post by bobwilson

Do you have multiple accounts?

Did I reply to you?

You seem to be so far off base here.

Get a life.

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 05:53 PM
link   
well clearly evolution is a bunch of bull#. I wonder what they're saying about this. i mean, knowing that their cornerstone of mans evolution (the brain) is actually moving in reverse. thats the one thing i keep hearing from them. Mans brain is what evolved and that's why were smarter when id ask things like "why wouldn't man evolve with wings or something eventually?" i know my brain does not like thinking about or paying auto insurance. so by the evolutionist logic my body should be sprouting wings because it needs to adapt to not having to drive around. Oh, and before anyone starts jumping in on this. remember that to evolve means to progress not to decline.

ev·o·lu·tion ( v -l sh n, v -). n. 1. A gradual process in which something changes into a different and usually more complex or better form

as you can see..

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 05:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by MikeHawke
well clearly evolution is a bunch of bull#....

did you miss a sarcastic smiley here, or were you just hell bent on demonstrating ignorance??

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 06:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aloysius the Gaul

did you miss a sarcastic smiley here, or were you just hell bent on demonstrating ignorance??

ev·o·lu·tion ( v -l sh n, v -). n. 1. A gradual process in which something changes into a different and usually more complex or better form.

.Human intelligence is declining according to Stanford geneticist

are you? seriously..? how do you read these two things back to back and think your about to bring up a point? ignorant people love to throw around the word ignorant

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 06:03 PM
link   
let me guess. were gonna revert back to monkeys before we can move forward to super humans.. and my dog will go back to being a fish so she can become a wolf next. i swear to god the excuses never end with you people

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 06:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aloysius the Gaul

ev·o·lu·tion ( v -l sh n, v -). n. 1. A gradual process in which something changes into a different and usually more complex or better form.

.Human intelligence is declining according to Stanford geneticist

are you? seriously..? how do you read these two things back to back and think your about to bring up a point? ignorant people love to throw around the word ignorant

congratulations - you can cut and paste a definition from somewhere unattributed that is mostly wrong, and then make no sense at all.

edit on 20-2-2013 by Aloysius the Gaul because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 21 2013 @ 09:52 AM
link   
congratulations - you can cut and paste a definition from somewhere unattributed that is mostly wrong, and then make no sense at all.

mmm, your right.. because only someone smart would say that to "evolve" means to downgrade, and to say anything otherwise is "mostly wrong". btw are you calling out a definition of a word like i just made that up? lmao. i love how the evolutionist beloved science is now telling you that the human brain is not evolving on in man, and in fact, its doing the opposite. but you guys are POSITIVE that an apes mind just kept moving forward until humans just started popping up. the cognitive dissonance is so strong in you clowns that you will say that you got a better handle on understanding the evolution of the brain over Stanford university just to not have to admit defeat. keep fighting the fight..lol. your all gods in your own mind because you think you have all the answers but really your just a kid with a keyboard and an opinion.

posted on Feb, 24 2013 @ 11:16 AM
link   
LOL

Well said my friend.

I'm in academia myself and its really quite annoying to see the level of dogma and self-righteousness proliferating all over the place

posted on Feb, 25 2013 @ 05:42 AM
link   
you don't have to be a stanford geneticist to see the population is getting dumber

just check the ratings for

Proof the population is dumb

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join