It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bullet Arrows

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 07:26 PM
link   
Just a thought....Is there such a thing as a Arrow that has a Bullet in it's tip.
I'm not talking a exploding tip here, i'm talking about a Arrow that you can insert say a .022 round in the tip and when it hits it's target the bullet gets pushed backwards onto a firing pin and then it does it's damage..

i just think this would be ideal for hunting small deer and such....do these thing exist or do i have a overactive imagination...

Just thought i would ask the question and stir up some ideas on the matter of Bullet Arrows..

edit on 16-2-2013 by Soloprotocol because: no reason

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 07:32 PM
link   
Arrows tend to miss targets moving at any speed. Also, people who use them are usually highly skilled with them. Guns are easy to use and don't require much skill, they're more accurate and faster too. I can't see an upside to having bullets in arrows, other than a hilarious party trick.

Plus, you wouldn't have unlimited ammo any more. You'd have to keep arduously reloading your arrow, or discarding it. When you could simply pull it out and smack things with it otherwise.

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 07:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Soloprotocol

A broadhead does just awful damage to a target. If you get a good shot on a deer with a broadhead you just slice that guy up to shreds inside. It causes death by hypovolemic shock - the deer bleeds to death in minutes.

Way back in the dawn times, you could use an Anectine pod on the arrow to poison the deer if you were a chronic bad shot, but I think that's unlawful in all 50 now.
edit on 16-2-2013 by Bedlam because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 07:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Joneselius
Arrows tend to miss targets moving at any speed. Also, people who use them are usually highly skilled with them. Guns are easy to use and don't require much skill, they're more accurate and faster too. I can't see an upside to having bullets in arrows, other than a hilarious party trick.

Plus, you wouldn't have unlimited ammo any more. You'd have to keep arduously reloading your arrow, or discarding it. When you could simply pull it out and smack things with it otherwise.

I can see a upside if the Bullet fires off inside the body cavity....silent....lets you get on with the hunt without disturbing the rest of the beasts around you...you wouldn't have to keep reloading, you would have a quiver full, already primed and ready to go.....as i said, it was just a thought and maybe a good gimmick for the Arrow making companies as a selling point...(no pun intended)

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 07:46 PM
link   
When I was a young bow user someone told me about whats called a power head which is what you decribed. its placed on the end of the arrow as an attachement with a large caliber bullet inside it and when it hits the target it discharges into the animal and creates a larger impact force.

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 07:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Bilky

Those exist for spear guns. Power heads/bang heads are pretty common there. Not sure I've seen one on an arrow.

You don't want a lot of weight on the business end of an arrow. A big broadhead's about a quarter ounce. Even a .22LR and some sort of firing pin mechanism and it's going to be so heavy it just nose dives.

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 07:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bedlam

A broadhead does just awful damage to a target. If you get a good shot on a deer with a broadhead you just slice that guy up to shreds inside. It causes death by hypovolemic shock - the deer bleeds to death in minutes.

Way back in the dawn times, you could use an Anectine pod on the arrow to poison the deer if you were a chronic bad shot, but I think that's unlawful in all 50 now.

I know nothing of hunting with bows and arrows etc...broadhead??? i take it you are talking about a Arrow with a broad pointy thing like old flint Arrows....i can see them really cutting something up inside yes....I've never hunted with a bow but i sure do fancy it over a gun any day of the week....but i'm pretty sure they are illegal here in the UK...Bummer..:-(

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 07:51 PM
link   
I've seen exploding arrow heads in a 1980's post-apocalyptic Italian action film THE NEW BARBARIANS...

Not bullets though...

have you checked out 'The Slingshot Channel'?
This guy does loads with catapults and sling shots...

he would know.

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 07:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bilky
When I was a young bow user someone told me about whats called a power head which is what you decribed. its placed on the end of the arrow as an attachement with a large caliber bullet inside it and when it hits the target it discharges into the animal and creates a larger impact force.

So i've not Invented anything then.....

someone must have had a use for it....maybe a elephant hunter or something.

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 07:54 PM
link   

reply to post by Bilky

Those exist for spear guns. Power heads/bang heads are pretty common there. Not sure I've seen one on an arrow.

You don't want a lot of weight on the business end of an arrow. A big broadhead's about a quarter ounce. Even a .22LR and some sort of firing pin mechanism and it's going to be so heavy it just nose dives.

Thanks for that...maybe that's what i was thinking of when i thought of this whacky idea....I have a really bad memory sometime...i blame the chemicals in the paint..

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 08:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Soloprotocol
I know nothing of hunting with bows and arrows etc...broadhead???

Arrows with little pointy ends are practice points, for target shooting.

A broadhead looks like this:

Broadheads are for game hunting, they are basically razor blades with sharp pointy tips for penetration. The razors then cut the deer to pieces inside.

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 08:04 PM
link   

I know nothing of hunting with bows and arrows etc...broadhead???

Arrows with little pointy ends are practice points, for target shooting.

A broadhead looks like this:

Ouch.....I can see how that would slice something up....looks well lethal..

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 08:10 PM
link   
what would be the best sort of bow to go for for hunting Deer....ie, recurve or compound and what sort of poundage etc..i now know what head to use

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 08:16 PM
link   
Who needs a gun or bow. All I gotta do is walk up to one of the deer that are always around here and hit it with a club. I better knock it out on the first hit though or it will kick the crap out of me. They may be friendly but they don't take no crap.

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 08:20 PM
link   
what about this one...

www.ebay.co.uk...

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 09:21 PM
link   

what would be the best sort of bow to go for for hunting Deer....ie, recurve or compound and what sort of poundage etc..i now know what head to use

I've got both. It's easier to maintain a recurve - you can make strings if you had to. A compound bow is not for when TSHTF, but it's a great hunting bow.

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 09:35 PM
link   

I've got both. It's easier to maintain a recurve - you can make strings if you had to. A compound bow is not for when TSHTF, but it's a great hunting bow.

I dont expect any SHTF anytime soon though thank for the info....much appreciated
Maybe i should just scope out a deers chosen pathway and try and put a noose over it's neck...

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 10:30 PM
link   

i'm talking about a Arrow that you can insert say a .022 round in the tip and when it hits it's target the bullet gets pushed backwards onto a firing pin and then it does it's damage..

i just think this would be ideal for hunting small deer and such....do these thing exist or do i have a overactive imagination...

edit on 16-2-2013 by Soloprotocol because: no reason

I've seen youtube vids with loaded arrow tips, but I think with a bow that is illegal in all the states ... loaded arrow tips are not ideal unless your scuba diving..

For me a breakdown re-curve with bowfishing reel and line, arrows with bowfishing points and broadheads is ideal

edit on 16-2-2013 by imitator because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 11:20 PM
link   
reply to post by manmental

thanks you ruined my eyes and ears with that video of the new barbarians. Now I have to watch it....lol....

off the top of my head, Rambo did it.

Also has no one ever had the large "snap its" or "slammers"? The paper ball fire crackers you slammed into the ground and they would go pop....?

Well I once as a kid had a few really big ones that I got in Spain. They were a little bigger than a golf ball. Some friends and me took them apart and made 1 huge one.

It was like a grenade. It wasnt heavy and it chipped a brick wall about half way through with a hole larger than the actual ball. It was awesome.

I am thinking. If you were to take the same concept but place the explosive material long wise IN the arrow, so that the weight is evenly distributed, it may be the same as an arrow. It wouldnt be top heavy.

Same thing for a bullet built into the arrow itself. The whole arrow can be built as a bullet that flies like an arrow but when impacting something, fires from midway of the arrow on as a bullet. So the weight is evenly distributed along the forward half of the arrow that separates and continues forward after impact as a Bullet. The gun powder would be in the back part.

edit on 16-2-2013 by zedVSzardoz because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 04:28 AM
link   

You could always try a big treble hook dangling from a steel leader. Bait that puppy with apples and peanut butter, and you should have a deer on it eventually.

Sort of like trot lining for deer.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join