It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Truth About Subway.

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 03:32 PM
link   
reply to post by johnwilkesbooth

Subway advertises on the HuffPo so it doesn't surprise me to see positive stories about them.

Problem is you can't solve stupid and in a society where people trust what the boob tube tells them, you can only hope to educate them with little tidbits of wonder likee this thread.

S&F

~Tenth

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 03:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Dispo

How about this:

www.youtube.com...
"Why You Got Fat"

If you all watch this video, you'll understand literally EVERYTHING.

You all need to watch this.
edit on 16-2-2013 by johnwilkesbooth because: couldn't embed, sorry.

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 03:37 PM
link   
Subway healthy?
how about, "Jumbo Shrimp"
All I see is GMO veggies, GMO wheats, HFC lunchmeats loaded with Sodium nitrates and
other useless fillers and preservatives..

Funny to see some of you actually comparing the the other fast food corporations in any
sort of "Healthy" category.

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 03:37 PM
link   
And the secret behind their spokesman weight loss? That was a pre planned marketing campaign. I know someone who knows the person behind it all. He did eat subs, he just had to do a beck of a lot of walking to get them!

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 03:39 PM
link   
Guys, I have to shower and go grocery shopping. I'll be back later in the day.

See you all, and thank you all for debating

I'll be back.

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 03:46 PM
link   

Oh God no that video is wrong. So wrong.

There is no direct pathway to convert dietary fat to body fat. Fat (triglyceride) molecules are too large to pass in to the blood stream without being broken down.

The video says that the storage of sugars is limited in the body - it's true. Limited in the same way that Australia is overpopulated. Glucose (and other sugars) are not, in general, converted to fat except in extreme circumstances. The preferred method of storage is glycogen.

The video also talks about the body making you feel hungry when your cells need fat/carbs/protein - no, that is not how hunger works. Hunger is controlled by stomach pressure and grehlin levels, if you are short on something you will crave it, you will not be hungry.

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 04:29 PM
link   
I didn't take the time to read this whole thread but forgive me if I am repeating anyone.

The whole calorie counting thing is a FACADE. I'm not denying that our body needs this energy to survive however TRUE HUNGER is our body craving nutrients. Based on that fact, on a per calorie basis, Subway has more nutrients than places like McDonald's.

HOWEVER, I still agree with you that Subway being healthy is somewhat of a facade and giving votes to Subway (ie. giving them your money) is also bad for the system in general.

Local Foods (preferably organic (at the very least the dirty dozen should be organic)) are the most nutrient dense because they have the shortest distance from being picked to being on your table. The second a food is picked it starts losing nutrients and after processing (something as being cut up into pieces) it begins to oxidate which speeds up the diminishment of nutrients.

Once I was trying a parsnip from a local organic vendor and when I tried to wash the dirt off they told me I was washing off vital minerals and bacteria... that may sound crazy to some but considering the methodology they use to grow their food (permaculture techniques and natural fertilizers) its entirely plausible.

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 04:33 PM
link   
A BMT with jalapeños on flat bread. Yum.

(Dang, reading this thread has made me hungry.)

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 04:39 PM
link   

If people can't read the cup or napkin where it states that they're listing the calories and fat for a 6" sub, they have much bigger problems than what they're putting into their mouths.

When I go to Subway, I simply get a salad on bread with just oil and vinegar.
This is much healthier than if I went to McD's for one of their salads considering the fat content in the dressings they have available.

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 04:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by johnwilkesbooth
reply to post by FirstCasualty

Think of the cave men, they ate meat. They got their fat and protein from animals and carbs from those naturally occurring from berries and such.

It wasn't until we started agriculture that we grew short and fat.

They lived in a pollution-free environment, had no additives in their food, and they got plenty of exercise

Also,

they rarely lived to the age of 30. A 28 year old "cave man" was an old man.

We are much taller on the whole and we live an average of 78, up from the mid forties in 1900, before there was fast food. And no, I am not suggesting causation, but the fact is we live much longer and healthier lives than the cave man ever did or even our great grandparents 100 years ago.
edit on 2/16/2013 by schuyler because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 05:06 PM
link   
reply to post by schuyler

I would say that if a particular cavemans life was shortened, it was most likely due to starvation, Infection, injury, or simply killed by weather or beast..Also to add,. no medical insurance '
'

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 06:05 PM
link   
Way over-priced and you're hungry again in 30-45 minutes. Useless, waste of money.
Now if you want a sandwich, a REAL sandwich for the best buck, get Safeway's lumberjack. It's a boat load of meat on a loaf of french bread. Can't go wrong and makes subway's look like a twinkie for less.

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 06:35 PM
link   
Just to add to the mix we do eat subway, we do order the turkey subs with lots of veggies and we do skip the sub sauce and mayo.

Just mustard thank you and no salt added, but we do know the turkey and mustard are loaded with salt.

It is the only fast food we buy with the exception of Harvey's once every three months or so and no fries or soda/pop please.

Regards, Iwinder
edit on 16-2-2013 by Iwinder because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 06:47 PM
link   
I used to work at a subway. The way they clean the dishes is discussing. They have 3 bins, one for scrubbing one with soap soak and another with sanitizer. For starters the sanitizer is not washed off so that poison gets in the food. The way its set up(very small tight backroom.) food gets mixed in with the soap and sanitizer leaving the soapy water and sanitizer muddled with food. Never use soda machines, they grow mold and yes the mold does get into the drinks.

Subway is not going to help you lose weight their bread is full of high fructose corn syrup witch causes more fat cells then normal to store in your body. The meat is full of RGBH and other hormones. All of these franchises, fast food and restaurants (apples bees, Fridays, chillies ect) did not get into the position they are in because they wanted to sell a healthy product. They are in it to make money. The cheapest ingredients= poison. Cheapest ingredients=Agenda 21. Cheap food is for the slaves they want to kill off. Its sad its hard to swallow but its the truth. Before you go out and buy the newest brain wash box (TV) make sure you have enough money to buy quality food. Make it top priority after your bills. DONT EVER EAT AT ONE OF THESE PLACES!!!
You have no idea what chemicals are added to change your perspective and emotions.

Neotame any one???
edit on 16-2-2013 by Infi8nity because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 06:52 PM
link   
Hello. I will have a 6' Italian Herbs and cheese, chicken breast. Pepper Jack/toasted. Tomatoes, olives, spinach, cilantro(yum) and a little mayo on top..thank you

Subway may not be the "healthiest" choice out there, but it is healthier than McDonald and Burger-king any day. If I want a nice burger, ill stop by at IN-N-OUT.

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 06:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by johnwilkesbooth

Originally posted by Liquesence

Eat more fat eat less carbs? Um, no. We get enough fat in our diets as it is, usually too much. We get enough carbs too, but because our lives are generally sedentary, they are too much. Carbs are fuel. I need fuel when active. Protein, yes. Carbs, yes. If running low on fuel, i might even eat a candy bar for the temporary sugar-fuel-up.

It just depends on one's lifestyle. For sedentary, fat is just as bad as excessive carbs.

People just need to learn how to eat and not get on all these fads.

While yes, the general consensus is that our lives are sedentary, that is wrong. With the "trend" of people caring what they eat, they also tend to exercise more. I've never seen more people running and biking or even lifting then I have in the last few years.

You say carbs are fuel.....guess what so is fat. The difference? One kicks in immediately and one takes up to even 12 hours. Fat works faster, the fact that you'd eat a candy bar for a quick fix just shows you don't know how to eat yourself.

You want quick energy? Eat an apple/banana. Protein, absolutely. But carbs, no. They take the place of fat, take longer, and don't work as fast and as well. Fats, yes. Exercise, yes. Carbs, no.

As "Fat Bastard" from "Austin Powers: Goldmember" would say, "Carbs are the enemy."

The general consensus that people are generally sedentary is not wrong. People are freakin sedentary, which is a reason why obesity is rampant. People caring about what they eat is also not wrong. But when they don't know what they're talking about and simply follow the trends (or by simply saying that one should eat more saturated fat), therein lies the problem.

One of the main reasons why we have an obesity problem is eating too much and not burning enough fuel or exercising enough, because we are generally too sedentary. That is not a fantasy. And that lifestyle, coupled with too high fat, too many calories (yes), add to health problems and increased weight. These things are then stored in the body instead of used as fuel when not used immediately.

And don't tell me that i don't know how to eat myself. When my blood sugar gets low and my body temperature starts increasing and i start sweating because of lack of fuel (and i am not diabetic), i'll eat a freaking candy bar, or nuts (good fat), or a granola, until i get real nutrients and a meal to sustain me. Sugar is a direct line to fuel, not eating a bunch of bacon (fat). I don't just eating candy bars because i feel i need energy, it was an example to show that when fuel is immediately needed, carbohydrates are beneficial, and not "the devil" as you keep suggesting. This why glucose tabs are available. Carbs. Agreed about apples and bananas, a different form of sugar and potassium, but that's not the point. So don't tell me about MY body, which you know nothing about.

Saturated fats are not good for you unless used immediately, and are far worse if not used than carbs.

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 08:01 PM
link   
You are correct sir, add mayo to that sandwich and it fills that 70 calorie gap.That said if I eat at mcdonalds or bk whatever I notice my whole face feels greasy I go from hungry to sluggish then cranky then sleepy. Subway I feel more refreshed maybe it is the spinach, who knows. No heaviness which is nice. Flavor is nonexistent though as the turkey is mere pressed formed bleached turkey lunch meat. I prefer jimmy johns for taste funny though their sandwiches have more calories than a whopper. My two cents. Thanks for the thread!

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 09:07 PM
link   
Wait... you mean that corporations employ marketing tactics to get your hard earned cash... Say it ain't so......

Where has my faith in American Business gone!!!!

edit on 16-2-2013 by Catalyst317 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 10:11 PM
link   
First thing I noticed when looking at the subway calories was the 6" on the left hand side.

What this thread should be about is not subway fooling people, but the general inability of people to read.

if they can't tell what it is they're reading, they probably wouldn't care if it was 11000 calories per serve.

ps. I like both. I eat both maybe once every 2 years. In fact, I cannot remember the last time I had either subway or maccas. I just don't eat out.

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 10:34 PM
link   

This is the kind of ignorance that makes fat people fat.

" Well the big mac has 550 calories, and this sub has more, which makes the big make healthier"

That isn't even nearly close to rational thought. To lose weight, you need to find a balance between calories in, and calories out. Not only that, you need to find a dietary balance of percentages within those calories, broken down simply into protein/carbohydrates and fats.

The body needs all three of these things in a diet to either lose/maintain/or gain weight. Now that's completely disregarding weight loss preventing salts/sugars which I assure you, a big mac's content skyrockets over a subway sub

The logic in the OP is essentially that "i'll try stab myself with this little tiny knife instead of that gigantic spoon."

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join